1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Palms webOS, in contrast, presumes that cloud-based services are the canonical source for your data (with the possible exception of media, which we don't know about yet).
    Palm's webOS does not presume any sort of tether at all. The company has totally ditched the idea that you will use this phone in conjunction with a specific "main PC" that contains the canonical, authoritative repository of your data. Instead, webOS draws seamlessly on a variety of data services—not data repositories, but cloud-based services that actively feed the device both data and critical context.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-the-cord.html
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Another interesting thing here about how this will work:

In the case of Facebook, you don't update your friends' contact info they do so if your friend changes her information on Facebook, it's automatically updated on your Pre.
    http://www.mercurynews.com/markets/ci_11410854
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Interesting indeed.

But if I want to see the Synergy view (combined info) on a large screen, I can not go to those individual services, right? I need access to the view that Pre has, possibly using my desktop browser.

The calendar case:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175496

Or what is your view how that works?
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Interesting indeed.

But if I want to see the Synergy view (combined info) on a large screen, I can not go to those individual services, right? I need access to the view that Pre has, possibly using my desktop browser.

The calendar case:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175496

Or what is your view how that works?
    It doesn't - however someone is likely to come up with something in the future...
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I think Palm would be quite stupid not to utilize exactly the kind of system that they have described in their patent application.

Every desktop and laptop computer has a browser, so every desktop and laptop would be your gateway to a "large screen Pre".
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    I think Palm would be quite stupid not to utilize exactly the kind of system that they have described in their patent application.

Every desktop and laptop computer has a browser, so every desktop and laptop would be your gateway to a "large screen Pre".
    Ah I see what you are saying - yes that could happen and makes sense as part of a web offering (because you can charge and generate a steady revenue stream)

I mentioned this on another thread, my prediction is:

* Palm desktop (pre desktop?) is online

* it's offered from palm for a monthly/yearly fee

* It offers the blended pre view of your calendars that you are suggesting

* it's going to be at http://www.mypalm.com

+1

The Synergy view is created by a webOS application, a web based application running on the Pre hardware. It seems to me it would be very easy to take that same Synergy application and port it to any web browser.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Ah I see what you are saying - yes that could happen and makes sense as part of a web offering (because you can charge and generate a steady revenue stream)

I mentioned this in another thread and it was dismissed. Having a Pre desktop online with a cached version of the data on the Pre makes perfect sense to me.
    What about mobile laptop users who want to access their Pre Desktop when they're not connected. That's a fatal flaw in all this Cloud Computing talk. You don't ALWAYS have access to the cloud (or to your phone).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I mentioned this in another thread and it was dismissed. Having a Pre desktop online with a cached version of the data on the Pre makes perfect sense to me.
    Seems sensible to me as well - look at splash ID - it's $29.99 - now someone might buy that and use it for three or four years (as many palm OS users do).

splash ID online is $19.99 for a year, so the idea is that you generate a steady annual revenue. Palm is looking to score big and anyway you can generate more revenue per handset is going to be considered.
    Another interesting thing here about how this will work:
    Quote:
    In the case of Facebook, you don't update your friends' contact info — they do — so if your friend changes her information on Facebook, it's automatically updated on your Pre.

Depending on how all of that works, it could cause problems. I have contact information on a lot of people that is "private" I am one of the only ones that knows about it.

Also I know of pepple that have put contact info out there and regretted it so they change what is in the "cloud" even though what they put out originally is still good.

I can see people changing their "public" contact info on yahoo or facebook or the like but me wanting to get to "hard" contacts that I have somewhere that won't change no matter what others might do. I assume that this will be possible somehow, it needs to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    What about mobile laptop users who want to access their Pre Desktop when they're not connected. That's a fatal flaw in all this Cloud Computing talk. You don't ALWAYS have access to the cloud (or to your phone).
    If you look at it as your phone always keeps the data local, it simply automatically syncs to update/backup info when you do have a connection, then it's not so bad.

In my view, a far more fatal flaw is the concept of Palm or god help us, Sprint, setting up an online repository of personal information for millions of users... that's like throwing chum in the water. Such a service will be probed and mapped constantly by hackers and script kiddies and everyone in between. Breaking the security of that system would be a potential gold mine for identity thieves, data miners, etc...

I don't know, maybe they're up to the task. It would require a world class information systems security team though and a religious devotion to addressing bugs yesterday, not "in the next release". I haven't seen anything from either company that indicates they are ready to do that.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon213 View Post

In my view, a far more fatal flaw is the concept of Palm or god help us, Sprint, setting up an online repository of personal information for millions of users... that's like throwing chum in the water. Such a service will be probed and mapped constantly by hackers and script kiddies and everyone in between. Breaking the security of that system would be a potential gold mine for identity thieves, data miners, etc...

I don't know, maybe they're up to the task. It would require a world class information systems security team though and a religious devotion to addressing bugs yesterday, not "in the next release". I haven't seen anything from either company that indicates they are ready to do that.

A very good point - but I guess that's why this phone is aimed by facebook users who put all that stuff up anyway!
    A very good point - but I guess that's why this phone is aimed by facebook users who put all that stuff up anyway!
    so the "fat middle" now consists of:
    1) People who don't need expandable storage.
    2) Facebook users who store all their most personal info on the web.

The middle is getting slimmer. Any other areas where I'm "not the target market" so I can just walk away in disgust now and not waste my time evangelizing WebOS?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Pre can probably do all you are now requesting, and more.

For example, the My Palm data feed in calendar could be the local calendar. No need to put everything to cloud if you do not want to.

There could be local sync, although I am convinced that the need for local sync has greatly diminished with this device. I am sure I don't need local sync with Pre.

If this comes with an exchange email account... than maybe Im in.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Maybe.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.