Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Listen. I can't bloody wait for the Pre, and I'll probably be waiting a lot longer than many of you since I need the GSM variant (live in Finland), but you all have to remember that this thing hasn't shipped yet.

Let us see how many Palm can sell during the first weekend, first week, first month, first quarter, you get the point

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't let anyone actually hold the device. Look how much trouble this Palm rep gave the people at Boing Boing: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/0...alm-pre-h.html

I experienced this once before, at Mobile World Congress 2008 when the Sony Ericsson representative didn't let anyone touch the Xperia X1.

Anyway, don't want to rain on your parade, but do want to remind you that success in this industry is not defined by how well the product demos.

It depends on how many units you ship and how much money you make.
    It's non final hardware running a beta release of the OS. It's no wonder Palm was restricting access (no pun intended). Apple did the same thing w/ the iPhone and the Apple TV before it was finalized.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsRejection View Post
    Listen. I can't bloody wait for the Pre, and I'll probably be waiting a lot longer than many of you since I need the GSM variant (live in Finland), but you all have to remember that this thing hasn't shipped yet.
    Actually, you probably won't be waiting as long as I will (assuming I decide to get the Pre). A GSM version is expected in Europe this year. It's the US GSM users who will be waiting a while.
    Even when it becomes available I'm going to wait until the 'crack period' has passed without reports of cracks before thinking of buying one. I don't want to end up with another phone that cracks.
    I don't know about this thread title... I mean, I may not have given Palm/Sprint my money yet, but they've sold me one.

(As in their presentation sold me, just to make sure nobody gets the wrong idea.)
  6.    #6  
    The amount of people who say they want something versus the amount of people who actually buy said thing is not a 1:1 ratio.
    I realize that, I was joking.
    Dieter got to hold one - I guess he is REALLY special!
    Come May, I will have been loving/hating my 700p for three years. SOMEONE is going to sell me a new phone on a new platform. Maybe it will be Sprint and Palm...maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    It's non final hardware running a beta release of the OS. It's no wonder Palm was restricting access (no pun intended). Apple did the same thing w/ the iPhone and the Apple TV before it was finalized.
    When the iPhone was announced at Macworld they had it in a glass box. You could only look.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    It depends on how many units you ship and how much money you make.
    If there were selling today, I'd buy one!. I wouldn't care if anyone else didn't buy it, as of right now, it has the functions I want and its looking good while doing it as well.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i can't predict if my high will wear off before the pre is out, but as of right now, i'm emotionally committed to buying one. $399? $499? whatever. mine.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    If there were selling today, I'd buy one!. I wouldn't care if anyone else didn't buy it, as of right now, it has the functions I want and its looking good while doing it as well.
    I feel the same way. 3rd party apps will be a huge thing and there are still a few questions that will be significant, but as of right now, there's no reason to not be excited. I figure worst case is if the Palm Pre doesn't work out, there will be a bunch of new android phones for sprint in the coming year. I'm still hoping that palm will succeed though.
    I'm a little disappointed that they didn't let anyone actually hold the device. Look how much trouble this Palm rep gave the people at Boing Boing: http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/0...alm-pre-h.html

I experienced this once before, at Mobile World Congress 2008 when the Sony Ericsson representative didn't let anyone touch the Xperia X1.
    I wouldn't let these boobs touch my phone!

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Hey OP has a point - however, it's not something that hasn;t applied to every other big phone release.

Moto Q - was super hot. After realse, OS bugs hurt it;s rep
    BB Storm - Is still super hot, but had an inital trip up after release. Jury still out
    iPhone - best "out of the gates" results, but styill had some early bug fixes pushed out to the hpone.

I'd be suprised if anyone on this board thought the phone would be released and there would be no bugs. However, i think the level of confidence in Palm's ability to support the bugs and release updates (directly to phone, instead of a required Sync) has greatly increased.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

What do you mean they didn't let anyone hold it? Go to Engadget and see the huge "hand-on" report by Joshua Topolsky here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/p...ds-on-gallery/
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Riebs View Post
    What do you mean they didn't let anyone hold it? Go to Engadget and see the huge "hand-on" report by Joshua Topolsky here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/08/p...ds-on-gallery/
    Nice read, tells how they implement copy and paste. Sounds...ehh. I guess have to try it hands on to really know how I feel, but if they have it, thats all that matters.
    Dude, lots of people have held the device, you just haven't been looking at the right places. For example:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/a...p?a=247&p=1844

Scroll to the bootom for the Youtube video.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Ah yeah, I saw that Kogan Android phone, very sexy thing but I dunno about Android. For Phones, I like simplicity and love my 755P.
    Android has the most potential of any of the SmartPhone OS platforms. It has a full Java based SDK and will be available from multiple hardware vendors. The G1 is not that exciting and is on T-Mobile (GSM's Sprint) but things could change it the next couple of years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Android has the most potential of any of the SmartPhone OS platforms. It has a full Java based SDK and will be available from multiple hardware vendors. The G1 is not that exciting and is on T-Mobile (GSM's Sprint) but things could change it the next couple of years.
    anytime you have some many companies supporting on thing 0 in this case the Android OS - there is alot of potentail. But the success will depend on alot more then just that. A platform like Apples or Palm. only used by there respective companieshas alot of advantages in it's control and consistant user experience.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast