Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelig87 View Post
    If they bring out a larger form factor (with 480x800 screen), they can call it the "Palm Grand Pre".
    Good One.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Now we will have to hear people like Steve Jobs mispronounce another Palm product.

Even though there is a dash over the "e" in Treo, Steve still pronounces it "Trayo".

Now we have a dash over the "e" again. Will it be called the "Pray" :?
    Steve Prefontaine's story has been important in my life. He was referred to as "Pre" so that has special significance to us running fans. It is strangely fitting for me that it's the title of my most anticipated gadget ever. I was expecting Quattro, Roteo, One..... never would have guessed Pre.

It's a little different but I like it. It's simple, which matches the theme of the product being a life-simplication device with synergy. It's descriptive of it being such a useful smartphone that it thinks of things before you do. Most importantly for me it is a very unassuming name, understated.

I don't want to carry a Bold, Pearl, Chocolate, EnV, Rant, Storm, Tilt, Razr etc. Those are toy names. I could care less of people being impressed by the shiny toy in my hand but I do like to impress people by discretely using a device to help me in truly useful ways beyond showing off little videos and playing obnoxious ringtones.

Treo, Centro, Pre.... those are respectable, understated names of powerful tools we use to enhance our life. The Bold may be a smartphone with the same abilities, but that name just sounds like you are trying hard to impress people.

Leave impressing the masses to Motorolla, LG, and Blackberry with their gimicky names. I've always appreciated Palm's marketing slant and hope they keep away from naming devices to impress the people who actually pay more for ringtones than the actual song since they can't figure out a better way to make their feature phone impress their kid's friends.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Just call it Palm Preo and we're in business ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Now we have a dash over the "e" again. Will it be called the "Pray" :?
    That's quite appropriate. Palm's praying this phone will bring them back from irrelevance.
    C'mon! A name is EVERYTHING!! Companies HIRE marketing firms to name major products. Maybe the name is NOT so mysterious...given Palms track record maybe everything IS IN the name...."Pre" meaning A BETA VERSION!!

I don't mean to be so cynical but I've been around long enough to know that Palm is famous for releasing phones before they're ready and relying on consumers to find the bugs and request improvements. I've always had the new releases on the "first day", so believe me when I say I'm qualified to call it like it is.

I'm gonna ride the wave and see what washes ashore. I hope that this Palm product doesn't disappoint.

K

P.S.--I love Palm despite their faults
    Last edited by nchargreed; 01/12/2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    Just call it Palm Preo and we're in business ;-)

Ain't that the truth...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    I was thinking they named it "Pre" because its a "Prequel" of what's to come since they had said this is just the start and that they have many more ideas in store....
    Or like a Preview but so far what they are showing, I'm excited to see what comes out in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Does anyone else find the name "Palm Pre" incredibly stupid?

"Pre" is a prefix, vocalizing the name it seems like the meat is missing. In fact, the "word" pre kinda hangs in the air waiting for the rest to come.

Maybe it's appropriate, as the device seems to be missing the "meat" of removable flash, direct desktop sync, compatibility with 13 years of legacy apps, and other things I thought would be no-brainers for Palm's recovery device.

Funny how the pre-announcement name "castle" (even Nova) seems a better name. Anyone else find "Pre" a weird and inappropriate name for this thing?
    I agree. The meat is missing (from the name). As silly as it sounds, "Preo" would've been better than "Pre." Both are sorta lacking, but "Preo" would've sound like a more complete word and it would've followed Palm's "eo" trend (Treo, Foleo, ...the rumored Roteo).

It took me a while to get where they got concept for the name (or its meaning), but now that I have, I'm more comfortable with it. Still, it's weak.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Neo would have been a great name

Pre is a weak name. you say it and thn think " where is the rest of the name"

Names are very imporatant - marking is hugh in the phone industry. The way people view there phone has a lot based on marketing. a great name is the first step.

a business, more soficstaciate name like Troe, centro is better then bold or storm. however, "pre" does not accomplish that task.

oh well :-)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Pre as in "pre"mature. Born before it was meant to be...
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelig87 View Post
    If they bring out a larger form factor (with 480x800 screen), they can call it the "Palm Grand Pre".
    LMAO! They can even bring some Centro 'designers' on board to give it pretty colors and racing stripes.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    Or the Windows Mobile version: The Pre W!
    That model would be the "PreYew"
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya Boi D View Post
    I was thinking they named it "Pre" because its a "Prequel" of what's to come since they had said this is just the start and that they have many more ideas in store....
    Among them, better names I hope...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12