Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

40 48.19%
  • no

43 51.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If the Pre and WebOS do not provide or allow for any local sync of data from your computer to the handheld, apart from a cloud based-connection, will this be a deal killer for you?
    Yes
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    no.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Of course not. That is the way I hope it is done, big screen browser access to your webOS apps and over-the-air backup to the cloud.
    First of all, if you want a poll, make an actual poll. Second of all,
  6.    #6  
    I expect OTA back up and desktop browser access to the webOS apps as well. My concern is why local sync/back-up and OTA sync must be treated as mutually exclusive. Is an option for both too much to ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Of course not. That is the way I hope it is done, big screen browser access to your webOS apps and over-the-air backup to the cloud.
    Jhoff my thoughts exactly

People: ONE WAY OR ANOTHER YOU WILL GET YOUR PIM ON BOTH PC AND THE PRE
    ya -- for those of us that care -- which is probably the majority of POS users (if not perhaps TCers), it matters alot.

Having immediate local access and control over their data -- especially the data they've generated and stored for all the years they've been using Palm gear -- is a requirement for most of us.

Admittedly there are these very vocal "elite" users here who are blithe saying: "I use Exchange, my data transition will be easy -- the rest of you ?? who cares -- get with the program !!"
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/11/2009 at 08:34 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

Admittedly there are these very vocal "elite" users here who are blithe saying: "I use Exchange, my data transition will be easy -- the rest of you ?? who cares -- get with the the program !!"

I think it's more simple than that - Palm doesn't care. Exchange support is included because it's easy to include. Look at the other supported standards (announced might be more) - gmail, AOL, Yahoo, facebook - that most cover god knows how many more million than those of us who use outlook or a desktop PIM. If they got hotmail as well, that's pretty much everyone.

I still think that the last surprise here is an online palm desktop where palm OS users (and anyone) else will be able to pay palm a monthly or yearly fee so they don't have to bother with any of the free programs or exchange.
    No, desktop sync is not necessary.

With cloud based phones both your desktop and your phone sync with the cloud. So the net result is the same.

The only area I see an issue with is 3rd party apps that have both a mobile and desktop experience; Quicken and Pocket Quicken for example.

However even these issues can be addressed with a mobile version of DropBox or MS Mesh (www.getdropbox.com, www.mesh.com)
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi View Post
    No, desktop sync is not necessary.

With cloud based phones both your desktop and your phone sync with the cloud. So the net result is the same.

The only area I see an issue with is 3rd party apps that have both a mobile and desktop experience; Quicken and Pocket Quicken for example.

However even these issues can be addressed with a mobile version of DropBox or MS Mesh (www.getdropbox.com, www.mesh.com)
    I was thinking about that - I have live mesh on my phone. I use ewallet as my password app. If I put that in a mesh folder, that in effect is going to give me over the air sync isn't it? (because it's the last thing left I have to get the cable out of my drawer to sync on the desktop).

Anyone tried it?
    Last edited by CGK; 01/11/2009 at 03:01 PM.
    I stopped syncing my devices a long time ago, I just use an Exchange server now. No extra cords to deal with, nothing to worry about backing up every X days.
    Having immediate local access and control over their data -- especially the data they've generated and stored for all the years they've been using Palm gear -- is a requirement for most of us.
    What data?

PIM data - Your desktop syncs with the cloud, your phone syncs with the cloud. Admittedly the desktop portion may require development; however there are free solutions even today, and there are low-cost Exchange providers you can use as well.

Datafiles - Such as Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, music, and movies? Your phone appears as a thumbdrive on the desktop. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have "device sync" that will sync folders on your desktop with what is on your thumb drive (mp3 player, camera, cellphone). I believe the Mac has the same.

Old Palm PDB files - They won't work on the Pre anyway, no backwards compatibility.

Android has been very successful syncing with the Google cloud. And even with my Treo 700 I was cloud syncing exchange (check out www.nuevasync.com for free alternative).
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I was thinking about that - I have live mesh on my phone. I use ewallet as my password app. If I put that in a mesh folder, that in effect is going to give me over the air sync isn't it? (because it's the last thing left I have to get the cable out of my drawer to sync on the desktop).

Anyone tried it?
    I use DropBox to sync data between multiple computers automatically. I sync my One Note, Keypass, and other data files in this manner. No need to sync and carry a thumb drive anymore.

I haven't used Microsoft's mesh, but if the mobile version is really a folder on your phone then it should be giving you OTA sync.

However I do not believe Microsoft will create a mobile version for the Pre (or my Android G1). C'mon DropBox, out with a mobile client already...

Those out there considering this, if you have multiple computers this is way convenient. Mesh is Windows only, free, with 5g of cloud storage. DropBox works on Windows, Mac, and Linux; also free with 2g of cloud storage. www.mesh.com or www.getdropbox.com
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi View Post
    I use DropBox to sync data between multiple computers automatically. I sync my One Note, Keypass, and other data files in this manner. No need to sync and carry a thumb drive anymore.

I haven't used Microsoft's mesh, but if the mobile version is really a folder on your phone then it should be giving you OTA sync.

However I do not believe Microsoft will create a mobile version for the Pre (or my Android G1). C'mon DropBox, out with a mobile client already...

Those out there considering this, if you have multiple computers this is way convenient. Mesh is Windows only, free, with 5g of cloud storage. DropBox works on Windows, Mac, and Linux; also free with 2g of cloud storage. www.mesh.com or www.getdropbox.com
    Livemesh really is a nice bit of kit, it just works.

you install the client on as many machines as you like (it does work on macs) and right click and select the folders you want to sync, they then replicate across all of the other machines and your phone. Those all also appear on your online desktop.

Dropbox looks nice but I'll stick with mesh - mainly because one Microsoft gets it's act together, it's sure to be integrated with office live and skydrive.
    Yes. Unless I can get the exact same features (or better) via the "cloud":

1) Complete data privacy and security
    2) Reliable, affordable and fast syncing of utility apps like Pocket Quicken, Teal Auto and others.
    3) Quick and solid backup of ALL DATA in a secure location under my control without additional costs
    4) Ability to recover ALL DATA or selectively within a reasonably quick period of time, even when traveling out of the range of a carrier's cell towers.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I can't imagine sending my Outlook info as well as SplashID somewhere other than directly between my laptop & my device via hotsync.
    I sync using BT & it's a breeze.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 01/16/2009 at 08:56 PM.

Admittedly there are these very vocal "elite" users here who are blithe saying: "I use Exchange, my data transition will be easy -- the rest of you ?? who cares -- get with the the program !!"
    Yup, and that's exactly how the developers at Palm are acting. They need to get outside their cubicles where they all have access to Exchange, and likely have no idea that it is extremely expensive for a company to add Exchange. Not every business owner can just borrow 100 million to keep the company afloat, and continue to buy their employees Exchange...
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    I stopped syncing my devices a long time ago, I just use an Exchange server now. No extra cords to deal with, nothing to worry about backing up every X days.
    Did you buy an Exchange server, or are you just renting one of these web based systems?
    i hope it syncs with mobile me out of the box....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast