83. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

40 48.19%
  • no

43 51.81%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Absolutely a deal breaker, for security reasons (enshrined in company policy too).
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Absolutely a deal breaker, for security reasons (enshrined in company policy too).
    You very nicely point out one of the two reasons why it'll be a deal breaker for some VERY important potential customers.

1) The shredder was not invented for individuals to prevent identity theft. It was invented to prevent government/military secrets from getting into the wrong hands. Business soon saw the benefits of protecting certain information from "dumpster divers", followed by individuals protecting their personal info. We all know how often hackers get into various sites & mine info. There are government agencies & businesses whose policies would never allow their info to travel over or reside in an insecure internet.

2) We all know that both cellular providers & the internet have periodic, localized outages. If there's no localized synch option, what happens to the Pre owner who (for whatever reason) has to hard reset his/her phone while there's an outage preventing resynching info? Do they go for up to hours with no possibility of resynching their info till the outage ends?
    Sycn? Whats that? I have my 755P and I only do backups, I never sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/service...tab_tab_sysreq

Under system requirements:

Fairly sure Outlook Express came with XP and probably Vista too (not sure since i installed Office 07 and it overwrote it), but overall you didn't have to do go buy Outlook to sync your Blackberry.
    Do these watered down Windows included options include everything that the free Palm Desktop did? I don't think so. What about tasks? What about color coding appointments? I'd be surprised if it gives what we are used to with Palm Desktop... hence the reason Outlook was a required purchase. Reminds me of people saying you can sync all your pre data with Google. Well, that's not entirely correct. The task manager in Google doesn't even allow you to assign a priority, category, or delegate a task.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Do these watered down Windows included options include everything that the free Palm Desktop did? I don't think so. What about tasks? What about color coding appointments? I'd be surprised if it gives what we are used to with Palm Desktop... hence the reason Outlook was a required purchase. Reminds me of people saying you can sync all your pre data with Google. Well, that's not entirely correct. The task manager in Google doesn't even allow you to assign a priority, category, or delegate a task.
    Agreed. I never complained about Palm Desktop because it was free, simple and it worked. It was hardly supported and rarely updated by Palm. But..... it was free, simple and it worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    You didn't say you needed all that though. You asked the Sprint rep if it came with a program to sync with and while it may not have come in the box, it was available. Now whether or not it meets your needs is a different story. jhoff80 and I were just trying to point out that there were options available, which you apparently didn't know about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Yes. Unless I can get the exact same features (or better) via the "cloud":

1) Complete data privacy and security
    This is the #1 reason I will not get the Pre. The #2 reason is no SD card slot for backups.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I'm not voting on this poll because I can't say until I know more about the Pre. Things change, and so can I. Maybe there will be something better - but maybe not. So many are condemning this phone while knowing very little about a pre-release model. I'm hoping for the best! As I look to my left I have the Palm Desktop open on another computer and I see it all day long. I can't imagine life without all of my data backed up to a central location (besides on the Pre) that I can view with ease both with or without internet access.

At the moment I'm very disappointed that there are currently no removable storage and Palm Desktop, but I'll wait and see what's released before I shout yea or nay.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123