Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54
  1.    #1  
    i like Palm Desktop. i despise Outlook as well as web-based PIM - Yahoo Mail, Google Mail, etc. for PIM on the Desktop.

    i like the Pre but want to continue to use Palm Desktop. i see that the Pre comes with a sync cable with as sync button - so hopefully we will continue to have that option.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i like Palm Desktop. i despise Outlook as well as web-based PIM - Yahoo Mail, Google Mail, etc. for PIM on the Desktop.

    i like the Pre but want to continue to use Palm Desktop. i see that the Pre comes with a sync cable with as sync button - so hopefully we will continue to have that option.
    The 'button' isn't really a button, from what I've read, just decorative. And this is the same as a million other threads that have said pretty much the same thing about no local syncing, do we really need another?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The 'button' isn't really a button, from what I've read, just decorative. And this is the same as a million other threads that have said pretty much the same thing about no local syncing, do we really need another?
    1. decorative button? sounds too silly to be true. this would go totally against Palm's new minimalist design approach with the Pre. i don't believe it.

    2. the death of Palm Desktop is a specific matter vs. general discussion on local syncing. you can sync Outlook, Office Docs etc. - i'm talking about Palm Desktop. so YES, we need another thread.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    ... you can sync Outlook, Office Docs etc. - i'm talking about Palm Desktop. so YES, we need another thread.
    no we are talking about essentially the same thing (whether its Palm desktop or outlook sync). . . you can't sync outlook unless you have an MS exchange account. That's what the threads are complaining about, very much related to your complaint.
  5. #5  
    Agreed. Too many complaints on syncing...in the end, there WILL be a solution for everyone

    Final straw will be to create a gmail account and export your data file there and let the Pre pull the data

    As far as app installs, just email yourself the PRC file (or whatever file) and install it via that method

    No more sync threads needed.



    The only thing worth complaining about is the SE sprint plan requirement
  6.    #6  
    1. what are you guys going to use for desktop PIM?
    2. the Sprint Simply Everything plan is a beautiful thing. it's the best bargain out there in wireless IMO.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. what are you guys going to use for desktop PIM?
    2. the Sprint Simply Everything plan is a beautiful thing. it's the best bargain out there in wireless IMO.


    Use google server sync or exchange

    And no, sero $30 plan is the best
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. what are you guys going to use for desktop PIM?
    I use outlook (with an exchange server) and plan to carry on doing so - I hate gmail and I have no interest in any of that facebook crap (if I wanted to keep in touch I would...)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I use outlook (with an exchange server) and plan to carry on doing so - I hate gmail and I have no interest in any of that facebook crap (if I wanted to keep in touch I would...)
    do you use a work exchange server or did you set your own up?
  10. #10  
    Gekko, you can subscribe to one for $8 bucks a month or so ..I personally use drmorley @ $5 a month... Pm me for details

    (responding from my iPod touch so I'm limited and I hate this dam touch keyboard)
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    do you use a work exchange server or did you set your own up?

    My own - it costs me 5 ($6.99 in the US I think ) per month with 1and1 (not a recommendation - I've never had any problems but lots of people *hate* them).
  12.    #12  
    but regardless of whether i set up my own exchange server, im stuck with ms outlook. ironically, i use web-based ms outlook for work email - which is not syncable - my IT guys wont turn on EAS. but i dont use the outlook PIM functions anyway. for PIM, i use Palm Desktop on my local laptop. i just like the simplicity and controlability of Palm Desktop. so i guess my options are -

    1. hotmail
    2. gmail
    3. yahoo mail
    4. exchange server - mail2web, etc.
    5. Facebook - ugh!
    6. other???

    choose your poison. and what about office docs?

    not sure i like all my data on some guy's server.

    what would be nice is if Palm/Sprint would have rolled out some type of Cloud Palm Desktop. maybe that's coming?
  13. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. what are you guys going to use for desktop PIM?
    I would want to use browser access to my Palm Pre PIM apps, which are web apps.

    If this is not possible, then something like myPalm online service that has the same UI as my Pre PIM apps, but I would absolutely hate to pay monthly fees for such a service, since I have those apps already at my Pre.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    #14  
    and what about office docs?
    god - don't get me started on microsofts abosultely retarded attitude to online storage of documents and office live. Seriously it would be a complete rant...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Gekko, you can subscribe to one for $8 bucks a month or so ..I personally use drmorley @ $5 a month... Pm me for details

    (responding from my iPod touch so I'm limited and I hate this dam touch keyboard)
    Or there's mail2web which has a free exchange server... though I believe you have to pay a monthly fee of like $5 to enable desktop Outlook access.
  16.    #16  
    i tried maill2web. it seemed shaky and unreliable. the web outlook was free though.

    i also just looked at my ISP's web PIM/Email - Comcast - AWFUL.

    i also also just looked at MSFT LIVE MESH. not ready for prime time IMO.

    here's the thing - i dont want to friggin have to LOG IN/OUT/IN on my laptop every time i want to access PIM data or a Office Doc. i like local data.
  17. #17  
    For me, there's only 2 option...exchange or gmail

    I truelu believe gmail will be a future of OTA sync

    (security concerns is another issue)
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Or there's mail2web which has a free exchange server... though I believe you have to pay a monthly fee of like $5 to enable desktop Outlook access.
    And if I recall, mail2web doesn't use SSL and they regularly send you out an unsolicited email with your password in plain text. Not for me, been there.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    And if I recall, mail2web doesn't use SSL and they regularly send you out an unsolicited email with your password in plain text. Not for me, been there.
    I've never used it myself, I was just pointing out that there are options. And also, you can use SSL at least now, it seems.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 01/11/2009 at 02:03 PM.
  20. ttcoupe's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    I would want to use browser access to my Palm Pre PIM apps, which are web apps.

    If this is not possible, then something like myPalm online service that has the same UI as my Pre PIM apps, but I would absolutely hate to pay monthly fees for such a service, since I have those apps already at my Pre.
    Besides, the Pre clearly combines calendar info from several sources. I want that experience on a large screen whenever I have access to a large screen. That is impossible to do with any single one of those online sources, since one source only has part of the data.

    I repeat, I want large screen access to my Pre calendar, or a free Palm service that provides similar experience. Both should be technically possible since the apps are web apps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions