Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That's spot-on what it is - as the VP says in the video "blackberry is for work people, this is a phone for the rest of us" (or words to that effect).

That's silly that he would say that. He is implying that he, as the VP of Palm, is not a "work person"? Why is he being paid (probably huge bucks)???

Also, they had Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO, talking about the Pre and how he would use such a device. He went so far as to say he is a power email and text user, and MUST have a keyboard like the Pre's. How do you get to be more of a "work person" than the VP of Palm, and the CEO of Sprint?

Also, they are apparently requiring Exchange in order to sync, and as you know- Exchange is a very corporate program.
  2.    #42  
    Palm's webOS does not presume any sort of tether at all. The company has totally ditched the idea that you will use this phone in conjunction with a specific "main PC" that contains the canonical, authoritative repository of your data. Instead, webOS draws seamlessly on a variety of data services—not data repositories, but cloud-based services that actively feed the device both data and critical context.

This is a deep, fundamental break with both the iPhone and previous, repository-based smartphone usage models, and it's important enough that other smartphones are bound to follow.

Ultimately, the exact mechanism for moving changes of state between the device and the online information services to which it connects (cloud, IMAP e-mail, IM, Twitter etc.) will depend on the particular service. Some services ask the device to poll, while others push out updates—it all depends on the transport. But the user will never see any of that, since it all goes on behind the scenes under the heading of "Synergy."

Note that I should have asked about Synergy's impact on battery life, because from a power savings perspective, it's probably better to have a single, shared model for handling state changes (like batch updates) than to have the kind of free-for-all that Crowley seemed to be describing.

Ultimately, webOS acts much like what Daniels described in his interview; that is, it moves away from a repository datasource model to a federated query service model, where the device queries multiple services for state that it then caches locally, before invisibly propagating any changes back out to the cloud.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-the-cord.html
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Meyer, you are not understanding the concept so I will break it down simply

1) I see u at a party. No cell signal at this underground rave. We schedula lunch for Saturday.. So you now have the inputted data on your Pre

2) you leave the party? The pre will automatically sync itself to google calaender

In essence OTA sync... Get it?
    Hopefully. Except... in the demonstration, it seemed clear that the entry he added was on the Palm. What's not clear is if it also up-synchs to the subscribed calendars, or whether it simply aggregates the data with the on-board entries. I hope it will be user-customizable - I can tell it to add to an Exchange calendar, or to google calendar, or to facebook, or to none of the above - but at least in the CES presentation video, unless I missed something, that functionality was not demonstrated. I know it makes sense that it would be included, but if it doesn't it would not be the first calendaring program that allows you to see a calendar subscription using iCal protocols, without allowing the calendar to be edited.
  4.    #44  
    obviously, we'll have to wait to find out more info. i think they kept the message very simple and stuck with it in order not to muddy it to the masses. hopefully, there will be solutions and workarounds for everyone.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    This talk of a "big screen" is why I think Palm will bring out a Foleo II (although maybe under a different name for marketing purposes). If you want all of your calendars visible on one big screen--or any of the other benefits of WebOS's "synergy" approach on there--it's an easy way to get it, even if there isn't a live data connection.

It's all like a jigsaw puzzle, only when the Foleo was first demoed, not all the pieces were in place. Since CES... a lot fewer blanks.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    how how about this idea - your Pre has its own web address out there in the cloud via your provider. so via a Desktop App or Browser, you go to:

https://www.sprintpcs.com/userdata/username

and you have a user name, password to enter and then you have full access to your Pre data?

i guess this would be a reverse-cloud.

just trying to think outside the box. not sure it will work or is feasible or makes sense.
    Exactly. I think it makes a lot of sense.
  7.    #47  
    from the Pre Box -

The text at the top reads:
    This box includes:

* Palm Pre Phone
    * Battery
    * AC Charger
    * microUSB Sync Cable
    * Stereo Headset
    * Recycling Sticker
    * Terms and Conditions

------------------

why would they list a "Sync" cable if there was no sync? i wouldn't think they'd use the word "sync" just for USB thumb drive capability. sync button is not necessary regardless - sync could be initiated many different ways.

i think i read that Chapura was a launch partner. another good sign!

i remain an optimist on this issue!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    why would they list a "Sync" cable if there was no sync?
    Syncing music & pictures??
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
  9. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    from the Pre Box -

The text at the top reads:
    This box includes:

* Palm Pre Phone
    * Battery
    * AC Charger
    * microUSB Sync Cable
    * Stereo Headset
    * Recycling Sticker
    * Terms and Conditions

------------------

why would they list a "Sync" cable if there was no sync? i wouldn't think they'd use the word "sync" just for USB thumb drive capability. sync button is not necessary regardless - sync could be initiated many different ways.

i think i read that Chapura was a launch partner. another good sign!

i remain an optimist on this issue!
    Chapura is definitely a launch partner. Also, my recollection is that Palm Desktop and HotSync belong to ACCESS and were not licensed along with Garnet, and the speculation was that Palm would be working on a new sync app. Outsourcing it to someone like Chapura or better yet, collaborating with them, makes sense.

I'm in the same boat with you, Gekko--I use Palm Desktop and avoid Outlook like the plague.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The cable is for the mass storage capability.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The cable is for the mass storage capability.
    you miss my point - why call it a "Sync" cable then?
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    you miss my point - why call it a "Sync" cable then?
    To sync music and media - for example, if you plug in a mass storage device into Vista, it pops up in media player for you to sync music across - it's very simple.

This is why palm has to say about desktop sync:

Palm's webOS does not presume any sort of tether at all. The company has totally ditched the idea that you will use this phone in conjunction with a specific "main PC" that contains the canonical, authoritative repository of your data. Instead, webOS draws seamlessly on a variety of data services—not data repositories, but cloud-based services that actively feed the device both data and critical context.
    With "Synergy" on its new prprpr&#$275$; $phone$, $Palm$ $has$ $ditched$ $both$ $metaphors$ $entirely$. &$quot$;There's no metaphor of sync, save, push—there's no button," Crowley said.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-the-cord.html
  13.    #53  
    yeah i posted that same article earlier in this very thread. funny how they supposedly ditched the sync metaphor yet the word is on the friggin box. sync doesn't mean mass storage IMO. i think Palm is keeping the message pure and simple and saying that their "synergy" is a new paradigm and BETTER than iphone etc. if they start talking about sync as an option this early in the game, it muddies the message and confuses people and takes away from one of their key differentiators. millions of people use a local copy of Outlook. i would be shocked if palm would presume to try to drive those millions of potential customers away from local Outlook. the bottom line is this - im not ready to rule out some kind of local PIM data sync as an option IN ADDITION to the cloud. if i was Palm, i would offer both options and then let the CUSTOMER decide what they want to do. just like they did with Palm Desktop vs. Outlook hotsync in the past.

even iphone can do local outlook sync. for plam to omit this would be fatal, IMO.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Use google server sync or exchange

And no, sero $30 plan is the best
    I'm pretty sure that "we" the lucky ones that are on a SERO plan(s) will be forced to give it up and use one of there newer Everything Plans, just like the customers that wanted the Samsung Instinct. Which makes it a very tough call for me...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123