Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ttcpupe: why can't you google's calandrr?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Pre combines calendar entries from several sources. If my sources are Google calendar and some other calendar, then the big screen access to Google calendar only shows part of my all calendar entries that I see on my Pre and the UI is different than the one on my Pre.
    How many calenders do you plan on using?

My assumption is that if you use google's calender you won't Use another
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    How many calenders do you plan on using?

My assumption is that if you use google's calender you won't Use another
    In the demo they had several sources, Google being just one. I want nothing less when I switch to a large screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    In the demo they had several sources, Google being just one. I want nothing less when I switch to a large screen.
    Most of their sources were other Google Calendars they had subscribed to, and then the other was "Palm" which I'm assuming is their internal Exchange Server calendar setup.
    ttcpupe: why can't you google's calandrr?
    Pray tell, how do I use google's calendar when I don't have connectivity? This whole cloud computing concept is great, except that the entire country isn't connected all the time. There are lots of places I use my laptop but have no wi-fi or a wired connection.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Most of their sources were other Google Calendars they had subscribed to, and then the other was "Palm" which I'm assuming is their internal Exchange Server calendar setup.
    And then there was My Palm, too.

Edit: and Facebook.
  8.    #28  
    i think i read that chapura and dataviz were both listed as partners at the palm pre webOS CES event. it seems to me that their raison d'Ítre is local syncing. we shall see - maybe there's hope for both local and cloud living.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Pray tell, how do I use google's calendar when I don't have connectivity? This whole cloud computing concept is great, except that the entire country isn't connected all the time. There are lots of places I use my laptop but have no wi-fi or a wired connection.
    Meyer, you are not understanding the concept so I will break it down simply

1) I see u at a party. No cell signal at this underground rave. We schedula lunch for Saturday.. So you now have the inputted data on your Pre

2) you leave the party? The pre will automatically sync itself to google calaender

In essence OTA sync... Get it?
    Ttcoupe: I understand you wanting to max our the synergy..but why the heck do you have more than one calendar at differnt locations?

That is not logically practical.

If anything, you would want your calendar in one location.

Question: do you currently use all your facebook, Treo, gmail, and ms live calendars ? My guess is no
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    mooching around the web, if you use an android and the connect craps out, it locally caches and then syncs to goggle calendar when you move back into signal range - since google is a launch partner, I don't expect it to work any differently on the pre.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    trim81, I could have a corporate calendar and a personal calendar at Google. Pre gives me a combined view to both of those. I want this combined view also on a large screen, this is not doable if I only have a large screen access to Google calendar, since it only contains the personal entries.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    trim81, I could have a corporate calendar and a personal calendar at Google. Pre gives me a combined view to both of those. I want this combined view also on a large screen, this is not doable if I only have a large screen access to Google calendar, since it only contains the personal entries.
    Ok you can have 2 different calendars but do you really? Or is it future thinking?

Tell me this: how is your current setup? Exchange corporate calendar? Palm desktop or outlook?

Like I said, it's cool to max out the synergy but honestly, it's not practical to Use more than one calender.

Also, as mentioned, you can view different goodle calendars.. Both on pre and goodle sync.. Simply subscribe to btoh calendars
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    My current setup is that I have my calendar at my mobile phone, which is a horizontal qwerty slider. I very rarely sync it to my pc, I practically only access it using my phone, even when there is a pc available. This works well for me.

Now Palm will hopefully bring me browser access to my calendar. No need ever to sync anything. Over-the-air backup will keep my data safe.
    Yeah so my assumption is you only have 1 calendar...why would you need to pull events from all aol, facebook, hotmail, yahoo, etc etc?...

A single gmail calendar will OTA sync all this
    Meyer, you are not understanding the concept so I will break it down simply

1) I see u at a party. No cell signal at this underground rave. We schedula lunch for Saturday.. So you now have the inputted data on your Pre

2) you leave the party? The pre will automatically sync itself to google calaender

In essence OTA sync... Get it?
    I understand that concept just fine. But what I can't do, in that case, is see what ELSE might have been scheduled on my calendar since I lost signal. But that's not really the point....

What if I don't have my phone? I'm at a business location that doesn't allow phones, but have my laptop, but no way to connect it. (if you don't understand how this can happen, just think of national security situations.)

Now I want to check my calendar. Unless I use Exchange Active Sync, I have no way to view my calendar, because all the Pre syncs with is the cloud, and without connectivity I have no access to the cloud.

THAT'S why some form of desktop sync is required, because the entire world isn't connected yet. And there are plenty of situations where I might not be able to access my Pre. As it stands now, the Pre seems to be a lot like the iPhone (on steroids). A consumer device focused more on entertainment and networking than a device oriented towards function.

And don't tell me to get an MS device. That sucks worse than Palm OS
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Meyer, if you lose signal on your pre, you will still be able to Use the phone's applications (including the calendar and it's other events as your post ask)

Now your second point re: not able to view calendar on your laptop, I can def see that as an issue...

Do you have wifi net access to the laptop? If yes then you can Use google sync
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    As it stands now, the Pre seems to be a lot like the iPhone (on steroids). A consumer device focused more on entertainment and networking than a device oriented towards function.
    That's spot-on what it is - as the VP says in the video "blackberry is for work people, this is a phone for the rest of us" (or words to that effect).
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Yeah so my assumption is you only have 1 calendar...why would you need to pull events from all aol, facebook, hotmail, yahoo, etc etc?...

A single gmail calendar will OTA sync all this
    Why would I need? We have seen that Pre is capable of that. The question is how you get all that to view similarly on a large screen.

I hope it is through browser access to Pre. That solves everything.
  20.    #40  
    how how about this idea - your Pre has its own web address out there in the cloud via your provider. so via a Desktop App or Browser, you go to:

https://www.sprintpcs.com/userdata/username

and you have a user name, password to enter and then you have full access to your Pre data?

i guess this would be a reverse-cloud.

just trying to think outside the box. not sure it will work or is feasible or makes sense.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast