Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First up, let's just point out that I'm not exactly new to Palm. Here's my device history (the ones in square brackets I didn't have for very long as the failed in some way or another):

[Pallm IIIc], Palm Vx, Palm M505, [Toshiba e740], Palm Tungsten T, [Treo 270], Treo 600, [i-mate JAM], Treo 650, [HTC TyTN], Nokia E61, [iPhone], iPhone 3G.

I like the Palm way of doing things but became disillusioned with the OS, especially its stability (the 650 was very crashy) and the lack of support for modern wireless technologies (Wifi and 3G). That said, I'm really loving what I've seen about WebOS and the Pre and am thinking about a switch when the GSM version becomes available in the UK. The iPhone and the Pre seem similar in a lot of ways, but (concentrating on the differences) these are the plusses I see for the Pre/WebOS:

1) All apps can multi-task, not just those Apple chooses (i.e. its own).
    2) The app switching 'card' UI with live views of the apps and the easy throw-it-off-the-screen way to kill the app (but does it really kill it?)
    3) The extended touch screen for gestures and the control it gives (especially the swipe to go back).
    4) The quick access wave thing.
    5) Search everywhere, from anywhere, just by typing.
    6) Great handling of notifications.
    7) Calendar UI looks much better (especially adding appointments).
    8) There's no turn-by-turn navigation app for the iPhone, possibly because of the multi-tasking restriction of third-party apps or possibly because Apple simply won't allow it. I'm betting Palm won't be such a PITA about this.
    9) I'm betting Palm won't be such an interventionist, PITA about apps in general.

... basically it has some great 'Palm-esque' UI elements and Palm is probably going to be much more open about apps than Apple.

The iPhone has plusses too of course:

1) Storage capacity. I'm constantly banging into the 16 GB limit on my iPhone and being limited to 8 GB is very unappealing.
    2) Bigger screen.
    3) Thinner.
    4) iTunes. iTunes is a great way of managing media on the iPhone. Syncing, smart playlists, etc, etc are way better than drag-and-drop. Buy on the phone, sync to the computer; buy on the computer, sync to the phone; that's the best way.
    5) Works with Mac calendar and contact apps (iCal and Address Book) - and with Mobile Me the data is pushed OTA.
    6) Apple is great about OS updates - no crap about unsupported devices and separate software releases for the same device on different carriers. Has Palm learned this lesson or will it be as bad as it was back when I had a 650?
    7) Apple is also great about keeping the carriers in their place - no nasty carrier logos on the outside, no horrible, carrier-customised software on the inside.

Mostly though which is best and whether to change has to do with imponderables. In no particular order here are some questions that I'm not expecting anyone here to be able to answer but which I think ultimately will determine which I'll end up thinking is the best. About the platform:

1) How good can WebOS apps really be? Some of the apps (games especially) on the iPhone are just jaw dropping. Will we have to wait for the SDK for really rich apps, and if so, when will the apps actually appear?
    2) Will developers flock to it like they have to iPhone?
    3) Will Palm be able to keep up with the latest developments and refresh devices in a timely manner? Let's not forget that by the time the Pre is out the next gen iPhone will probably be just around the corner (32 GB? Higher res screen?) and Palm is not exactly the healthiest of companies at the moment.
    4) I'd also like to know a bit more about how the OS works. Like does throwing the app card off the screen really close it? (In the TC video Peter Skillman says it 'minimises' it. I hope they haven't fallen into the same trap as Microsoft did!)

About the Pre specifically:

1) How solid is the slider?
    2) Is the screen made of glass and if it's not will it scratch?
    3) How good is it as a phone?
    4) How's the audio quality?
    5) How's the battery life?

etc.... basically will it work as it should?

The other area of imponderables of course relate to the iPhone. Apple has absolutely shown that it's not going to let the platform stand still. They might even learn a few things from Palm!
    Last edited by marcol; 01/11/2009 at 08:53 AM.
    Interesting post.
    Its funny because I was >< This Close to switching to iphone for similar reasons.
    Lots of questions there. And it appears that they are basically the same questions most around here have. We'll probably find out in a few weeks......
    You forgot to mention a BIG plus for Pre
    K E Y B O A R D...

I personally wouldn't touch anything without one, as Jon put it by the keynote
    no cheesy on screen keyboard...
    Last edited by Mahootzki; 01/11/2009 at 10:04 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    You forgot to mention a BIG plus for Pre
    K E Y B O A R D...
    Actually, I didn't forget. I hope it's obvious that my post was just my personal feelings about the two devices. I'm pretty happy with the iPhone keyboard and at least as fast with it, and as one-hand proficient, as I was on the Treos I had before. I did mention the big plus it has from my perspective - the search anywhere by just starting to type - and also, indirectly, the big negative - it makes the device thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    I personally wouldn't touch anything without one, as Jon put it by the keynote no cheesy on screen keyboard...
    Fair enough, but I'm not you
  5.    #5  
    Following up on that, I wonder if we'll see a device without a physical keyboard from Palm at some point. With a gesture to pop up an on-screen keyboard for searching perhaps?
    1) How solid is the slider?
    2) Is the screen made of glass and if it's not will it scratch?
    3) How good is it as a phone?
    4) How's the audio quality?
    5) How's the battery life?
    These are the same things (in any order) I'm waiting to hear about.
    Add in speakerphone also.
    I'm an Iphone user as well, (but a Palm fan) and it's ok if you jailbreak it. If not, you're very limited to what it will do.

The huge thing with the Pre is the ability to multi-task, and also to be able to go back and forth between apps with one gesture. I have the "backgrounder" app on my iphone so I can send some items to run while I switch around, but it doesn't work as well as a full multi-tasking OS does. It's very annoying to switch between apps..you have to close what you're working in, go back to the home screen, open the new app and do your thing, then go back to the home screen and open the other app, etc. Not efficient, and a bit annoying.

And then let's not forget- KEYBOARD, MMS support, copy/paste, and the overall economic way that Palm gets you around the OS. On the video demo it was clear that you are one or maybe 2 clicks from basically anything, where as the Iphone is at least 3 clicks, if not 4-5 once you start trying to switch between apps for most things. The only way to get a home/lock screen to display upcoming appointments, etc. is to use a jailbroken app called Intelliscreen, and it's a bit laggy and doesn't always work as it should.

Alerts, ringtones, and volume of ringers and alerts are TERRIBLE on the Iphone.

For all the good about the iphone, it isn't quite good enough for the power business user. It's a great phone in many ways but I think the Pre is better just based on what I've seen so far. I can't wait to actually get my hands on one.
    Last edited by adjmcloon; 01/11/2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Marcol, you say iPhone has bigger screen which is not true, they are both 320x480. There's just less wasted "nothing" space on the Pre, making the Pre smaller without keyboard extended but same screen real estate.
    Last edited by NachoB; 01/11/2009 at 03:57 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Marcol, you say iPhone has bigger screen which is not true, they are both 320x480. There's just less wasted "nothing" space on the Pre, making the Pre smaller without keyboard extended but same sceen real estate.
    I'm pretty sure the "bigger" comment refers to screen size, not resolution.

The iPhone has a 3.5 inch diagonal screen size, the Palm Pre has a 3.1 inch diagonal screen size.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I'm pretty sure the "bigger" comment refers to screen size, not resolution.

The iPhone has a 3.5 inch diagonal screen size, the Palm Pre has a 3.1 inch diagonal screen size.
    Yep. From the horses mouths:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/phon...ndex.html#tab2
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

By 'bigger' I meant 'being of larger size'

EDIT. Doing the math, the iPhone screen is 27% larger (the screen area is 27% greater). That it is fairly significant IMO.
    Last edited by marcol; 01/11/2009 at 03:42 PM.
    What about Android? Sigh, I guess sexiness wins out again.
  12.    #12  
    Here's a comparison pic from Engadget:

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post

4) iTunes. iTunes is a great way of managing media on the iPhone. Syncing, smart playlists, etc, etc are way better than drag-and-drop. Buy on the phone, sync to the computer; buy on the computer, sync to the phone; that's the best way.

Actually Centro can be recognized by Yahoo music player as a music device. You can sync music using it without have to do the typical file copying. iTune may still be more user friendly, but as long as Pre can do as good a job as Centro, it is fine.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Okay, I was going on resolution, I stand corrected. Not that big of a deal to me. I'll use my 32GB iPod Touch for media type stuff.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi View Post
    What about Android? Sigh, I guess sexiness wins out again.
    Pretty amazing that little old Palm can do something *so* much more polished than Google. I guess, as Colligan would point out, they have been doing it a while.
    And you can also use something like this: http://ita.sourceforge.net/
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    Actually Centro can be recognized by Yahoo music player as a music device. You can sync music using it without have to do the typical file copying. iTune may still be more user friendly, but as long as Pre can do as good a job as Centro, it is fine.
    Also, I guess MarkSpace might step up to the plate to enable integration. I know they did for S60 - not that I ever used it when I had the Nokia E61 as that was a truly terrible music player (both in terms of UI and audio quality).
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    And you can also use something like this: http://ita.sourceforge.net/
    Something like that but which worked on a Mac
    I watched a lot of videos on youtube and I remember one mentioned there is speaker phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Pretty amazing that little old Palm can do something *so* much more polished than Google. I guess, as Colligan would point out, they have been doing it a while.
    Or it's the difference between a feature phone and a platform...

It's easy to create a sexy feature phone. It's more difficult to create a platform that is truly open and designed to run on multiple devices.

It remains to be seen how open WebOS really is. The closeness of iPhone and the openness of Android are already well known.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast