View Poll Results: How Important is NO Micro SDHC expansion to you?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait until Palm releases the next WebOS PRE type of device with on board memory expansion.

78 21.61%
  • I will buy a Non-Palm device with on board memory expansion.

23 6.37%
  • I am buying a PRE! 8 GB of on board memory is sufficient for me.

233 64.54%
  • I am buyiny a PRE! I don't care about large on board memory or expansion

27 7.48%
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This issue is proving somewhat contentious in the related thread I started; http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175416

So, I thought a poll was in order to put some numbers behind the main points of view.
    Last edited by rinkeedink; 01/10/2009 at 11:13 PM.
    I just need to be able to fit any of the apps I want on the phone with the possibility of putting an occasional movie on there as well...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

You need another option. "I'm getting a Pre anyway, but I'm very disappointed in no expandable memory."
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You need another option. "I'm getting a Pre anyway, but I'm very disappointed in no expandable memory."
    Perhaps, but in the interests of simplicity, disappointed falls into the sufficient category. Someone who is not disappointed doesn't care.
    Well then if you're saying someone who is disappointed and wants more storage is the same as someone who thinks its sufficient, how are "8 GB is sufficient" and "I don't care about large on board memory" any different from each other?
  6.    #6  
    Well then if you're saying someone who is disappointed and wants more storage is the same as someone who thinks its sufficient, how are "8 GB is sufficient" and "I don't care about large on board memory" any different from each other?
    They are different in that one person has considered the amount of memory and found if acceptable for their data needs, even if disappointed, the other has no data storage needs of any real consequence, so they don't care; not an important part of the purchase equation for that consumer. There are those that just don't care because they don't carry around a lot of music and video or other data. I didn't say the poll would be perfect. You're welcome to start your own poll.
    Am testing a device with 8gig memory, havent filled it up.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Have had 8gb card on my 680 for over a year, haven't filled it up, never take it out. I suspect with wifi that backing up the device shouldn't be too difficult.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    My Treo 755 has 64 MEG of internal memory. I have a 2 gig card. Surely an 8 gig Pre with the ability to connect to an external hard drive should be sufficient.
    I have a 4 gig card and it's not full, but it's always nice to have options. I mean when you need it and don't have it you will feel stupid. I really like the pre but if I'm wrong which I may be and it doesn't support usb drives then it will be a big minus to getting the pre.

It does have everything else one could want in a phone, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth stereo. I guess it could support WiMax, but that'll probably be further down the line. I really want it but the lack of expansion may be a deal breaker.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    This was exactly my thought when I read the options. Sorry, but I'm not gonna even give my vote because I really think there should be microSD if they're not going to have a 16GB/32GB internal option. To people that say they haven't filled up their SD card for other phones, my response would be that its not even comparable. My 755p is by no means a media phone. Even with third party apps it sucks as a media phone. I expect there to be a ton of apps/games developed for the phone which will take a lot of space as it is, but music/movies can fill up 8GB in no time. I really hope palm has enough sense to kick the iphone's **** by adding the microSD slot. That, flash support, and some awesome 3rd party apps will finally shut up all those apple fanboys.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    I have a 4 gig card and it's not full, but it's always nice to have options. I mean when you need it and don't have it you will feel stupid.
    Or you will simply prioritize your storage. I have an 8 gig card in my Centro that I'll occasionally have to prune to accommodate newer content. 16 gig support would be nice, but demographically, the need for that much storage is probably an edge case. The Touch Diamond has sold very well with half the memory of the Pre.
    There is the issue of enough on-board storage. And then there's the issue of backing up wherever you are and RESTORING wherever you are, or on a new unit if yours is lost or stolen. The ability to back up and keep a card safe somewhere is major for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    There is the issue of enough on-board storage. And then there's the issue of backing up wherever you are and RESTORING wherever you are, or on a new unit if yours is lost or stolen. The ability to back up and keep a card safe somewhere is major for me.
    Some will discount your post, but I understand it... if overseas, and with no connection, if your device goes down, it will be hard to get your data back on the device... well, if you can't find a wifi station (I'd guess you could sync via wifi... but if you would WANT to do that overseas at a hotspot is another story).

I'm thinking palm will eventually build a device with external expansion... maybe later this year... that should ship will all the OS fixes from their first release. LOL

It would be interesting to have a storage facility onboard the device that could backup contacts, calendaring, profiles, etc and last through a hard reset... of course you would lose your music and files (although, you could get them back via microsoft mesh, if able to install and syn on the device). In a situation where you had to hard reset, having the basics would be good enough until you could get home....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Lack of an SD card is an issue but not a deal breaker. I have never backed up to SD cards and don't see the need. My Treos have always been used as convenient access to data stored elsewhere and for entertainment. I am probably smack in the middle of the Palm Pre's target demographic.

I listen to losslessly ripped audio exclusively and 8GB of on board memory is going to severely curtail my audio capacity. I carry a dozen or so 4GB cards now with WMA audio and video programs for use when I fly.

Lack of an SD card is not going to stop me from buying the Pre but I can see I'll be using the USB cable and USB drive capability quite often to rotate audio and video off and on the device.

Martin
    Last edited by mhconley; 01/12/2009 at 09:04 AM.
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    How about another option: I'll have to wait and see if 8GB is really enough. We don't know enough about how this phone actually works.

Also, "8GB is enough for most people" sounds awfully like the classic quote from Bill Gates about 640K of RAM.
    The utility of the removable memory extends FAR beyond just caching information and holding your Pat Benetar albums. When I'm out of the country/coverage for a month I backup to flash cards and store them separately. When my phone goes in for service I make a backup of RAM to the card via BackupMan and wipe the device, restoring to the new one. Many more.

I don't know who Palm is appealing to by removing the ability to protect and preserve data. They pulled this game years ago until TRG/Handera and Handspring pushed their hand, now they're back to it?

Are you telling me that Sprint will be taking responsibility for backing up 8GB of your data wirelessly before they do any testing of your phone? If you get a replacement they will upload the 8GB from the old phone and download the 8GB to the new one? HA!!

Many of the Sprint stores didn't even have basic serial cables for testing to connect to Treos until recently. There is absolutely no way they'll routinely let their techs sit around while 16GB of your precious data is transferring via the "cloud."

The paint on this new "pre" looks cute, but once you lift the hood there are some extremely troubling signs that it's all show and no go (no va?)...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Some will discount your post, but I understand it... if overseas, and with no connection, if your device goes down, it will be hard to get your data back on the device... well, if you can't find a wifi station (I'd guess you could sync via wifi... but if you would WANT to do that overseas at a hotspot is another story).
    If you prioritize restoring your PIM data, just so that you have a working phone again, you can restore your media and apps when you get back to a local connection. Your calendar and contacts should be small enough to sync over WiFi economically, even in Europe.

I'm sure that one of the first apps a developer will come out with is one that backs up your device image to your laptop via the Pre's USB mass storage mounting. I plan on using Live Mesh, unless a better solution is bundled with Pre.
    8GB is enough for me. I'll be using this as my PIM device with some surfing the net and listening to music/podcast.
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    8GB is enough for me. I'll be using this as my PIM device with some surfing the net and listening to music/podcast.
    Pretty much the same for me - PIM, surfing, might copy a copy of films across for if I get stuck somewhere.
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast