View Poll Results: How Important is NO Micro SDHC expansion to you?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait until Palm releases the next WebOS PRE type of device with on board memory expansion.

78 21.61%
  • I will buy a Non-Palm device with on board memory expansion.

23 6.37%
  • I am buying a PRE! 8 GB of on board memory is sufficient for me.

233 64.54%
  • I am buyiny a PRE! I don't care about large on board memory or expansion

27 7.48%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Yep, they had to find the happy medium for a first and only device that is intended to save the day. 8gb was their choice to keep the cost down and still be enough for a lot of people.

If they come out with a 16gb one around the holidays, i'll probably only upgrade if it comes with other tweaks or i'm finding 8gbs hard to live with.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The "Right now" is the problem.

The point is the Pre will have a life cycle of two years for the "great masses" who get new handsets every two years. It will have a prime selling life of one year . You have to ask how many of the people buying the phone in September 09 (just three to five months into launch) will expect no use for over 8gb until Sept 2011.

Which smartphone in this competitive class has been launched in mid 2009 with a limit of 8gb? Only Palm Pre?

It is an absolute constant that people run out of memory. In a computer you can add drive, ram. You can throw out the $10 usb pen drive when the next doule capcity pen is $10.
    Well I will put it this way I have a Treo 680 and I have had it for over 2 years now and I have not run out of space yet. I use SD cards but I only have two and the largest one I have is only 256 MB. The few times I may have come close to running out of memory I was able to free up a ton of space by deleting apps that I no longer needed or used... I am pretty sure 8GB will be enough space for a user like me for 2 years but that is assuming that the apps for webOS won't be monstrous.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

It's not the apps, but the media that takes up space.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Pretty much. One person's 8GB limit is another's treasure trove. And NO storage solution would make everyone happy (keep in mind, Palm needs to be happy as well since they need to come in below a certain price ceiling and still be able to make a profit on this device in order to merely survive, much less thrive).

This is the solution that will best make both Palm and the vast majority of the market happy.
    Respectfully you make a decent point in the first graph and then make a completely unsupported statement in the second graph.

The "vast majority" of the high end smartphone makret of launched in 2009 is at finite memory capacity 16 GB or user scalable to 32 gb.

We know the "vast majority" of the competition, if the competition is smart-phones launched in mid 2009 is not hobbled the way the Pre is when it comes to memory. That is a simple fact we can agree on.

The contention the "vaste Majority" of the market for that segment or even a "majority" will be "happy" is unsupported.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's not the apps, but the media that takes up space.
    Thank you. that is the salient point. These are multimedia devices sold in good part as media players.

the very first words Apple put in the iphone description were: "phone, ipod, and internet device"
    The good thing is that people with an iPod Touch like myself are already used to moving media content on and off the device regularly, and iTunes makes that very quick and easy to do. I'd be interested to see the software solution Palm has at launch to do this, but even if it was dragging and dropping, it's no big deal. I do it regularly for my 16GB iPod Touch and thumb drive (and I have over 57GB of just music and movies on my desktop). The Pre will be no different.
    I won't go as far to say the vast majority will be happy. 8gb i think will be enough for many (or should i say enough?) to want to try the device. Sure, they'll be hungry for more storage though. And i'm sure palm will be happy to offer it around the holidays for more money.
    The good thing is that people with an iPod Touch like myself are already used to moving media content on and off the device regularly, and iTunes makes that very quick and easy to do. I'd be interested to see the software solution Palm has at launch to do this, but even if it was dragging and dropping, it's no big deal. I do it regularly for my 16GB iPod Touch and thumb drive (and I have over 57GB of just music and movies on my desktop). The Pre will be no different.
    If its dragging and dropping only, then they are hurting. Sure this is ok for people very familiar with such devices, but not for the mainstream IMO. Palm is not seeing the market clearly with no desktop solution.
    Thank you. that is the salient point. These are multimedia devices sold in good part as media players.

the very first words Apple put in the iphone description were: "phone, ipod, and internet device"
    Do most people really need to carry more than 8GB of media with them all them all the time? I can understand wanting to have a few songs or possibly carrying a movie around but do users really need to carry around all the songs they own all the time? Do folks really have multiple two hour blocks spread throughout the day so that they would need to have more than one movie with them? I know I tend to be a conservative user but it seems to me that many people have adopted an attitude that if a device has a certain amount of memory they feel compelled to fill it. A little memory management should solve most space problems for the vast majority of users. For those of you who truly due need more space for various reasons (yes, I do know you exist) I am fairly confident that there will be an app or some sort of hardware add on later that will meet your needs... Or you could just say "hey this phone is not for me, I will wait for a larger model or stick with my trusty (rusty) old Treo."
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Respectfully you make a decent point in the first graph and then make a completely unsupported statement in the second graph.

The "vast majority" of the high end smartphone makret of launched in 2009 is at finite memory capacity 16 GB or user scalable to 32 gb.
    Nope. I've already linked multiple times to Amazon sales figures that show their best-selling microSD cards, iPod Touches, and ipod Nanos to be at 8GB. That's what people are buying and using.

We know the "vast majority" of the competition, if the competition is smart-phones launched in mid 2009 is not hobbled the way the Pre is when it comes to memory. That is a simple fact we can agree on.
    No, we cannot because your definition of hobbled is ridiculous. Capacity does not equal usage, and lack of capacity does not equal crippling. It just doesn't.

The contention the "vaste Majority" of the market for that segment or even a "majority" will be "happy" is unsupported.
    No, it isn't.

Palm's Pre is positioned as a smartphone that has media capabilities, and not primarily as a media device. Don't believe me? Look at the chapter titles on the Pre presentation at CES. "Media""music" and "movies don't appear in any of them. When Palm and Sprint wanted to make their first impression, they BARELY touched upon these aspects for a couple of minutes of a 60-minute plus presentation.

Even now on the Palm website, there's no dedicated section for any of these capabilities, but there are for messaging, calendar, universal search, and multitasking.
    If its dragging and dropping only, then they are hurting. Sure this is ok for people very familiar with such devices, but not for the mainstream IMO. Palm is not seeing the market clearly with no desktop solution.
    I would be somewhat disappointed, but I can't get too worked up one way or another over something that's a big question mark at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    Do most people really need to carry more than 8GB of media with them all them all the time? I can understand wanting to have a few songs or possibly carrying a movie around but do users really need to carry around all the songs they own all the time? Do folks really have multiple two hour blocks spread throughout the day so that they would need to have more than one movie with them? I know I tend to be a conservative user but it seems to me that many people have adopted an attitude that if a device has a certain amount of memory they feel compelled to fill it.
    Some people do, and there is nothing wrong with that. These people are a distinct, but vocal minority. So their concerns are not and should not be a major priority for Palm in launching this flagship "prosumer" device.

You either manage memory or you manage cards. I'm glad Palm went the former route.
    Well heck, the centro and treos have media capabilities. Ptunes isn't bad for music and was out for years. Can even watch video on it. Palm never talked about it.

But with the Pre, they went and made the screen bigger, added resolution, and hopefully better media players. And they added a standard jack. And still, palm isn't talking much about it.

The Pre is certainly capable of being a media player. 8gb cries out for media to be put on it.

So if palm went to all that trouble, then why would they ignore this aspect altogether in promoting it? The new features palm does keep promoting are great, but they seem very weak in the multimedia department. Maybe they need to hire someone to promote that aspect. They've played music and movies in demos, but they really need to get on top of how most of their customers will get that media on it. Songs is easy..buy through the app on the phone. Videos? The average buyer won't have much of a clue without a program to walk em through it. But palm should provide something to manage it.
    Well heck, the centro and treos have media capabilities. Ptunes isn't bad for music and was out for years. Can even watch video on it. Palm never talked about it.

But with the Pre, they went and made the screen bigger, added resolution, and hopefully better media players. And they added a standard jack. And still, palm isn't talking much about it.

The Pre is certainly capable of being a media player. 8gb cries out for media to be put on it.

So if palm went to all that trouble, then why would they ignore this aspect altogether in promoting it? The new features palm does keep promoting are great, but they seem very weak in the multimedia department. Maybe they need to hire someone to promote that aspect. They've played music and movies in demos, but they really need to get on top of how most of their customers will get that media on it.
    My completely uneducated guess is that the onboard media software isn't running as smooth as the other apps, plus there's a good chance Sprint might insist upon their proprietary Sprint Store music and/or video crapware.
    From all the Kindle talk, I think you'll have Amazon download capability at some point with their Amazon Unbox. Register your Pre as a portable device like I have my Tivo registered for home downloads and have things sent directly to the Pre. That would be a nice addition. I use Amazon all the time. Though I wish they'd have HD content instead of 480p. Or if they do, they just don't have it on a large enough scale yet.
    My completely uneducated guess is that the onboard media software isn't running as smooth as the other apps, plus there's a good chance Sprint might insist upon their proprietary Sprint Store music and/or video crapware.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Let's face it, Palm cut a lot of corners on this device, and as usual memory was near the top of their list. Maybe 8GB seemed like more than enough memory to Palm for the potential of this phone over the 2-3 years people will keep it. Wouldn't surprise me, since they are conditioned to see 32MB or 64MB as "too much" for nearly anyone to need. This is the same company that created the new catagory of the LifeDrive media player, dooming it to obscurity because they used a friggin' hard drive for cache! And don't get me started on the $500.00 Fooleo. Acer must have been laughing their asses off when they saw that announced.

Sorry Palm. A device that is prettier than my Treo but loses local backups, hotsync, expandable memory, 13 years of application compatibility, and more is basically a pretty big downgrade to me. Maybe the post-Pre can be made with input from your tougher customers, chasing the deeper pockets of Apple means you have to have more than a prettier interface and keyboard.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    Do most people really need to carry more than 8GB of media with them all them all the time? "
    The problem is this is a prime metric for value in the consumer mind.

More and more. We know that the market segment launched this year for a fact is dominated top level smartphones with capacities of 16 gb or more.

So the statistics and numbers are there. The "Vast Majority" in this segment launched this year can hold 16 GB or higher.

The statistics show that people are moving to more memory all the time. If you look at amazon statistics people are increasing the size of the cards they buy.

Why are all the makers of top smartphones going with 16GB to 32GB? Because the average buyer expects to sue the device for a few years,a nd media and user needs increases in size -- they never decrease.

The way Apple describes iphone: "iPhone 3G combines three products in one - a revolutionary phone, a widescreen iPod, and a breakthrough Internet device"
    Last edited by aero; 02/25/2009 at 12:31 PM.
    if I take away the slick interface, I can do most of what I need to do on the Palm TX and have use of a 32gb SD card if need be and all the backup capabilities of a traditional palm. Merging a phone into a Palm seemed to take a few steps back compared to what one was used to doing on a standalone palm, and it seemed to feel like forever to play catch up as the Treo progressed. Don't get me wrong. The Pre will be an exciting device, but it still feels like it takes some steps backwards as they seemed to have tunnel vision on how the phone was to be marketed.

In regards to losing functionality with the old Palm OS. People need to get over it. It ran its course. There's no where else to go with it, and when designing something fro the ground up, trying to create native legacy support would just be a hassle. The two OS's are night and day. If the programs are important, they'll be rewritten for WebOS if the functionality isn't already native to the OS. Or because of the enriched environment, someone will write a new program from scratch that will provide more functionality than the original program had, most likely. Canon abandoned their old lens mount system to go with the EOS system. They ticked off many including many professionals, yet they survived and thrived. Get over it already.

Aero said it with Apple's marketing comment about the iphone. The whole point of these devices was convergence. It's how it started many generations ago when they combined a phone and pda. Yet with every new generation of devices they always seem to build in limits that never makes it a true replacement for any one device even though the tech is there to easily do it. And instead of creating a device on its own merits, they make it to compete with another product. Like building a football team to beat another team in their division but failing to realize they need to play the other conference to get to the superbowl.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. I believe the Pre is already designed to function as a usb mass storage device.

If you're talking about connecting another mass storage device to the Pre via the Pre's mini-usb port, then I see where you're coming from. We've been talking about that, but I don't know how likely or unlikely it'd be.
    Yeah that's what I mean. Sorry if I gave a bad description.
    There's nothing that has shown it has USB Host support. That is what you're referring to. The ability to connect devices like usb drives, portable hard drives, cameras and such. Having mass drive support means you can connect the pre via usb cable to a computer and it is seen as an external drive so you can drag and drop to your heart's content. That it is all.
    Some people do, and there is nothing wrong with that. These people are a distinct, but vocal minority. So their concerns are not and should not be a major priority for Palm in launching this flagship "prosumer" device.

You either manage memory or you manage cards. I'm glad Palm went the former route.
    How do you know that they're a minority now in 2009?

I see quite a few people still using hard drive iPods, meaning 30GB or more. I've also seen quite a few 16GB iPhones. I'm not so sure people who carry lots of media are such a minority.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/25/2009 at 04:50 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast