View Poll Results: How Important is NO Micro SDHC expansion to you?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait until Palm releases the next WebOS PRE type of device with on board memory expansion.

78 21.61%
  • I will buy a Non-Palm device with on board memory expansion.

23 6.37%
  • I am buying a PRE! 8 GB of on board memory is sufficient for me.

233 64.54%
  • I am buyiny a PRE! I don't care about large on board memory or expansion

27 7.48%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stondimaql8 View Post
    How many people out there right now have 8GB or almost 8GB worth of stuff in their phones? Especially all that you will use on a day to day basis?

Considering that, I'd say 8GB is plenty for daily usage. And sure enough for those who insist that they would like to have more... You can just back up the rest.... I believe that, based on research, Palm must have recommended 8GB as adequate storage capacity for the masses. There'll always be exceptions...

At the end of it all... Most of us would surely WANT greater storage capacities, but not necessarily NEED it.
    Yes there will always be exceptions, but with more storage, there will be less exceptions. Plus I think "use on a daily basis" is a wrong way to measure this. It would be something more along the lines of "How much storage is necessary for storage of permanent files, space for anticipated use, space for unanticipated use, and space available to swap in and out temporary files that won't take you past your inconvenience threshold."
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    How many people out there right now have 8GB or almost 8GB worth of stuff in their phones? Especially all that you will use on a day to day basis?

I do. I'm looking for a 16GB phone. If I didn't want to carry an all-in-one device, 8GB might have been enough for me too. But honestly, it's much easier for me to carry one device for both business and media.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    How many people out there right now have 8GB or almost 8GB worth of stuff in their phones?
    The "Right now" is the problem.

The point is the Pre will have a life cycle of two years for the "great masses" who get new handsets every two years. It will have a prime selling life of one year . You have to ask how many of the people buying the phone in September 09 (just three to five months into launch) will expect no use for over 8gb until Sept 2011.

Which smartphone in this competitive class has been launched in mid 2009 with a limit of 8gb? Only Palm Pre?

It is an absolute constant that people run out of memory. In a computer you can add drive, ram. You can throw out the $10 usb pen drive when the next doule capcity pen is $10.
    Hopefully when the pre comes out someone can use the usb slot to add mass usb to the device. I am not sure how it is done but I do believe that would be a software problem. That way everyone could be happy.
    16gb is such a burden to fill up. I feel the Pre will relieve some of my stress..
    Not sure if that's a joke or not, but if you want to carry a good variety of media along with your apps, contacts, notes, etc., 16GB gives you more freedom to choose. You don't need to fill up all the space but just in case you download something new OTA(which I have) or want to add something extra from your computer, there will be enough space.

Until your collection grows again and you then need 32GB

Last year 8GB was plenty but not anymore, at least for me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I do - and I don't use all 18 GB of the "stuff" I have on my phone every day, but I do want to have most of it handy all the time (like 7 GB of pictures I share with folks or 6 GB of music I have handy for variety, eBooks galore,work documents, and a few movies for when I travel/commute). Let me ask you this: Does your home computer have an 8 GB hard drive in it? Could live with that size hard drive and rely on an online service for your permanent storage? I sure wouldn't like that set up at home and I don't like it in my phone.

Folks that can't imagine why they would ever need 8GB in a phone haven't had "only" 8 GB in a phone yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I do - and I don't use all 18 GB of the "stuff" I have on my phone every day, but I do want to have most of it handy all the time (like 7 GB of pictures I share with folks or 6 GB of music I have handy for variety, eBooks galore,work documents, and a few movies for when I travel/commute). Let me ask you this: Does your home computer have an 8 GB hard drive in it? Could live with that size hard drive and rely on an online service for your permanent storage? I sure wouldn't like that set up at home and I don't like it in my phone.

Folks that can't imagine why they would ever need 8GB in a phone haven't had "only" 8 GB in a phone yet.

I guess my deal is that I'm not a huge media fan. I can't even fill up the 2GB sd on my Blackberry... And I've tried. I guess if I started porting movies then I could go through some memory really quick. How much memory does a typical movie require?

My priorities just don't require tons of memory. A fast web browser is the thing this goat has been lusting over for so long. My Blackberry's browser just does not cut it. Opera Mini is not a great substitute either. The Pre makes me drool.

I also like having a responsive GPS. Pre seems like it will be really good in that department also.

Sprint TV will make me happy as far as most media goes. I can flip on CNN or Comedy Central at anytime and be entertained... With no memory consumption.

Just throw my Led Zeppelin albums and some family pics on my phone and I'm as happy as can be.

-Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Good point. 8GB does sound like a lot until you actually decide to make use of the storage. Then it may not be, depending on what you want to store on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

If I just wanted mt phone to be a phone with a basic pda and some web browsing then I wouldn't need or want the Pre. I'd want a thinner centro that's slightly wider so the keyboard is less cramped.

The Pre has a larger screen and is more multimedia capable. It can easily replace 1 of the thre DMP's I currently own, and make me use the other two less and for more specific purposes. Heck, I have four dmp's and will most likely sell one the minute I see the Pre can functionally do what it can.

It's the added functionality that will have people putting over 8gb's on the phone. If people are using these for work with various work files on top of programs and databases then putting media files on it, 8gb is a joke.

the question of how many people put 8gb's of stuff on their phones is a dumb question because the number of phones that would make that amount useful are slim. Ask how many people are using other portable devices with 8gb's or more not including large gig hard drive players.

I have a 16gb Cowon D2 with a 16gb SD card, an 8gb Sansa Fuze with an 8gb mSD card and a 2gb Sansa Clip that I'm contemplating upgrading to the 8gb version for more variety while running and paddling. If the Pre would've had expandable storage then the D2 or Fuze would be the first to go as long as I could at least to dynamic playlist creation on the Pre. 8gb is just so limiting.
    Well I wouldn't say it's a dumb question, it just seems based in the belief that most people really don't use that much space. So it's not really an objective question because I think the person was hoping people would say "not many"(at least that's the impression I get). Many of the new phones will take up to 16 or 32GB cards, so the amount of phones you can put 8GB on is now significant.

I do have to mention that the 16GB iPhone does seem to be selling quite well if you believe Craig's List and even AT&T's site. The refurbished one when AT&T lowered the prices on them again, sold out for a while and 8GB was left in stock. Someone else said 16GB iPhones weren't selling as well. Apparently when the price goes down either by contract or buy selling refurbished, yes they do. Now those people trying to gough on CL, maybe those ones don't sell so much since people want way too much just because they jailbroke or unlocked the phone. But what CL does show is that there are a lot of 16GB owners out there.

Apparently people WILL buy that much space if it becomes accessible to them. Use may be another story but the option of the extra space is appealing. And why I still think it's a mistake to have no expansion slot. If someone does end up needing more space, they are stuck.

when I've had a long and exhausting travel day, everything I don't agree with is dumb Call it an uninformed question because comparing the Pre to just phones is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]Well I wouldn't say it's a dumb question, it just seems based in the belief that most people really don't use that much space. So it's not really an objective question because I think the person was hoping people would say "not many"(at least that's the impression I get). Many of the new phones will take up to 16 or 32GB cards, so the amount of phones you can put 8GB on is now significant.
    These are convergence devices. They are supposed to allow us to not always have to carry separate devices. Not that they'll replace every other standalone device we carry in regards to cameras and media players, but to have certain expectations is not unreasonable. With flash based players (even small pocketable ones) coming with 8, 16 & 32gb capacities along with expandability and basic media phones having card slots that can take 16gb microSDHC cards, having 8gb's that has to be shared with everything, not just media is inadequate. When many phones have led flashes, 3-5 megapixels and some even with autofocus, having the minimum of what those decent models have should be key. If this is supposed to be such a killer device it should not have what many consider a basic amount of memory especially when it does have to be shared with everything else on the phone.

The aging Palm TX and older Treos could support up to a 32gb SDHC Card, but now they've gone backwards to a limited 8gb. Don't need an iphone comparison here (which has already gotten old), just their own products that are well over 2yrs old.

And definitely agree with you on the people buying what's available. Many make the arguments, like the one thread on here, that many only have 1, 2 or 4gb cards. Well no sh*t. They were the only ones cheap enough or even available for the longest time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well I wouldn't say it's a dumb question, it just seems based in the belief that most people really don't use that much space. So it's not really an objective question because I think the person was hoping people would say "not many"(at least that's the impression I get). Many of the new phones will take up to 16 or 32GB cards, so the amount of phones you can put 8GB on is now significant.

I do have to mention that the 16GB iPhone does seem to be selling quite well if you believe Craig's List and even AT&T's site. The refurbished one when AT&T lowered the prices on them again, sold out for a while and 8GB was left in stock. Someone else said 16GB iPhones weren't selling as well. Apparently when the price goes down either by contract or buy selling refurbished, yes they do. Now those people trying to gough on CL, maybe those ones don't sell so much since people want way too much just because they jailbroke or unlocked the phone. But what CL does show is that there are a lot of 16GB owners out there.

Apparently people WILL buy that much space if it becomes accessible to them. Use may be another story but the option of the extra space is appealing. And why I still think it's a mistake to have no expansion slot. If someone does end up needing more space, they are stuck.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    While 8GB may not seem like much, its plenty for me. I use my laptop or ipod for music and movies more often than my phone. Just be glad this isnt the touch diamond with 4GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Pflaumen View Post
    While 8GB may not seem like much, its plenty for me. I use my laptop or ipod for music and movies more often than my phone. Just be glad this isnt the touch diamond with 4GB
    You're like most people, which seems to be why Palm made the decision they did. While I am personally quite happy with the Pre hardware and hope that they never put an SD slot on these devices, I can understand the people who feel the exact opposite.

But everybody's gotta give up something. I'd prefer it have a 3.5-inch screen instead of 3.1, video recording out of the box, and two more megapixels, but....what it does have is fine for now, and I'll just buy another when they upgrade the hardware specs significantly. It's way, way, WAAAAAY ahead of the hardware curve for CDMA devices in America as it is.
    I'm using a 755p with a 4GB card, so an 8GB Pre would have greatly more storage than I am currently accustomed to. That is not my issue -- I am uncomfortable with the concept of no removable storage at all. I don't use anywhere near the full capacity of the two hard drives on my computer, and I have good internet connectivity, but I would be uncomfortable if I didn't have a CD/DVD burner built in and the ability to carry one of the hard drives to another machine.

Although I may be missing something here, I think I would be much less excited about 16GB or 32GB internal storage for a Pre than than I would about 8BG (or even 4GB) and a card reader that would handle 8, 16, or 32GB cards. Then I would have the choice of how much to spend for memory, and I would have the flexibility of removable backups, easy transfer to another device, etc. If I ever got hooked on the video thing and were willing to spend for storage, I suppose I could buy a pile of large capacity micro cards for all my movies, but that's not how I really expect I would use a Pre.

Of course, if I actually had a Pre, I might understand why it was important to have all that memory built in rather than removable.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You're like most people, which seems to be why Palm made the decision they did. While I am personally quite happy with the Pre hardware and hope that they never put an SD slot on these devices, I can understand the people who feel the exact opposite.

But everybody's gotta give up something. I'd prefer it have a 3.5-inch screen instead of 3.1, video recording out of the box, and two more megapixels, but....what it does have is fine for now, and I'll just buy another when they upgrade the hardware specs significantly. It's way, way, WAAAAAY ahead of the hardware curve for CDMA devices in America as it is.
    Yeah if I had it my way the phone would be wider (since I probably won't be able to wrap my hands around it anyway, because they are short), have video capability out of the box, better camera with a better lens, and great zoom. I don't like carrying my digital camera with me for simple snapshots.

Personally I understand the need for the micro SDHC. But something does have to give. They can't have one thing and take away another because then people will complain as well. So this phone is hitting up all the things that are currently successful. They are reaching the fat middle. I admire that from a business standpoint because what they have tried so far hasn't worked for them, so they are doing something else. I guess the saying is true that you really can't please everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The "Right now" is the problem.

The point is the Pre will have a life cycle of two years for the "great masses" who get new handsets every two years. It will have a prime selling life of one year . You have to ask how many of the people buying the phone in September 09 (just three to five months into launch) will expect no use for over 8gb until Sept 2011.

Which smartphone in this competitive class has been launched in mid 2009 with a limit of 8gb? Only Palm Pre?

It is an absolute constant that people run out of memory. In a computer you can add drive, ram. You can throw out the $10 usb pen drive when the next doule capcity pen is $10.
    Rock solid point. Thanks.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    Hopefully when the pre comes out someone can use the usb slot to add mass usb to the device. I am not sure how it is done but I do believe that would be a software problem. That way everyone could be happy.
    I'm not sure what you mean. I believe the Pre is already designed to function as a usb mass storage device.

If you're talking about connecting another mass storage device to the Pre via the Pre's mini-usb port, then I see where you're coming from. We've been talking about that, but I don't know how likely or unlikely it'd be.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    Personally I understand the need for the micro SDHC. But something does have to give. They can't have one thing and take away another because then people will complain as well. So this phone is hitting up all the things that are currently successful.
    Pretty much. One person's 8GB limit is another's treasure trove. And NO storage solution would make everyone happy (keep in mind, Palm needs to be happy as well since they need to come in below a certain price ceiling and still be able to make a profit on this device in order to merely survive, much less thrive).

This is the solution that will best make both Palm and the vast majority of the market happy.
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast