View Poll Results: How Important is NO Micro SDHC expansion to you?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait until Palm releases the next WebOS PRE type of device with on board memory expansion.

78 21.61%
  • I will buy a Non-Palm device with on board memory expansion.

23 6.37%
  • I am buying a PRE! 8 GB of on board memory is sufficient for me.

233 64.54%
  • I am buyiny a PRE! I don't care about large on board memory or expansion

27 7.48%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    ^^
    No! Anyone with needs and desires different from my own is obviously DOING IT ALL WRONG! 8gb is all Palm chose to give us so we should be thankful!

The nerd rage on both sides of this issue has been priceless, it reminds me of the few days following the iPhone keynote. I guess reasonable viewpoints like your own appearing mean that things are settling down and people are accepting reality. Pity!

Lack of removable memory is a significant negative factor for me. But I will make my decision based on the totality of the device, not one spec.

When I used a iPhone I didnt like the lack of removable memory, but I accepted it because I found other features compelling. The Pre has a chance to make the same impression on us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ?!! What person who needs that much portable productivity does NOT have a laptop? I mean, seriously. I rather listen to music, watch videos, and DEFINITELY work on PDFs and Office files there than any phone.

Your phone - even a smartphone - should be a stopgap measure at best until you can get to the office or hookup your laptop to a wifi area or LAN. If you just want to use your phone for nothing but entertainment, 8GB is enough storage for you to put on 1500 320 bitrate MP3s, a couple of movies, and lots of documents, and still have room left over for apps and the operating system. If you need more than that on any phone, slot or no, you either swap out cards or swap over files. There's no inherent advantage to one over the other.
    Exactly!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    This is getting a little ridiculous, as many people have said, just because one person doesn't need the storage space doesn't mean others don't. I'm getting the Pre anyway but I would prefer more space myself. I've got 70GB of music on a media server on my network, so no I wouldn't expect all of it to fit on any phone. That being said, I'd prefer to get as much of it on there as possible for convenience sake, in addition to sometimes going on long trips where I don't have access to the server. (And with Sprint's 5GB limit, streaming more just wouldn't work for me.) Yes, I also have a laptop, but for the interest of speed I have a 32GB SSD, which means no, my laptop is not able to be used as a repository for all my music... not to mention that there are many others who only use a laptop for business purposes.
    What's ridiculous is people who don't bother to read posts before responding. I've never made my points of the basis of how much storage I personally "need." That's irrelevant. You'd prefer more space? So would I. And I would at 16GB onboard. And I would at 32GB onboard as well. This argument scales for any amount of storage currently available on mobile devices. There will always be someone who has more files (media or otherwise) and wants access to them at all times.

But even with nothing but 8GB of onboard storage, you still can have access to what you need.

- If you're a business traveler, you likely have a laptop and you can swap files in and out on the fly with the USB port.
    - If you are a business traveler who has a laptop and cannot put your personal files on it, leave the business files there, and use all 8GB for media (which is big enough to hold a couple of movies and DAYS of music with room to spare for apps).
    - If you are a business traveler who has a laptop and cannot put your personal files on it, yet "needs" all 50 or 70GB of music with them at all times, simply slap it on a 250GB portable USB 2.0 drive (costs way less than the amount of microSD cards you'd need to equal that), then plug the Pre and drive to your laptop, and swap out files on the fly.

All of these solutions are no more expensive than microSD cards, and are arguably just as convenient if not way more capable. If this still doesn't meet your needs, you need a dedicated media player anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    ^^
    No! Anyone with needs and desires different from my own is obviously DOING IT ALL WRONG! 8gb is all Palm chose to give us so we should be thankful!
    Frankly, this is just a stupid misrepresentation of my position. As I said above, NO portion of what I have said is based on my individual needs or even yours, for that matter. I've never made a claim that we should be "grateful" to Palm. For one, they are giving us nothing. This is their latest offering, and a significant step forward for the company. If it's not for you, then you should look elsewhere.

Please enjoy your Nokia N97 with an inferior OS, resistive touchscreen and about $350-550 more in asking price or your Samsung Omnia with Windows Mobile 6.1, low resolution plastic screen, and lack of hardware keyboard. Otherwise, ain't too many other phones out there with significant onboard storage and a microSD slot, and there's definitely none with anything close to what the Pre offers in hardware and software.
    What's ridiculous is people who don't bother to read posts before responding. I've never made my points of the basis of how much storage I personally "need.".
    No, you're instead telling people how they should use their devices.

And let's face it, maybe not so much anymore, but back in the day, when the Treo 600/650 first came out, the big thing for many of us was and still is convergence. That's something that seems to be forgotten quite a bit these days. The whole reason many switched to a smartphone in the first place was specifically for that reason- to go from carrying multiple devices to one. I know with the popularity of the iPod, netbooks, etc. that that doesn't happen very much anymore, but some of us would like to carry as few things as possible. Telling someone they should buy a USB drive or use their laptop as an answer is more likely to drive them to another all-in-one device than anything else.

Sure, there are other solutions, but nothing is as convenient as an all-in-one device, something the Treo was originally designed around.
    Wha, woah woah woah? I thought the 5GB limit was for tethering only. I guess I missed out on the news of there being a cap for Sprint >.< I hate these unlimited plans not being unlimited grrrrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Wha, woah woah woah? I thought the 5GB limit was for tethering only. I guess I missed out on the news of there being a cap for Sprint >.< I hate these unlimited plans not being unlimited grrrrr.
    I don't think its a hard cap, but from my understanding, they start to look a little more closely at your usage if you're consistantly over 5GB a month.
    No, you're instead telling people how they should use their devices.
    Yeah, quote me doing that. Please. Go back through all of my posts. The Pre isn't anyone's device as of yet, but when I outlined usage scenarios (which is not the same as telling someone how to use their device), I couldn't do one for microSD cards, because it doesn't support them. If microSD is such a dealbreaker, don't buy it. If it's not and is merely an inconvenience, then find ways to work around it. For suggesting a few such ways, I guess that makes me the meanie here? Ok.

And let's face it, maybe not so much anymore, but back in the day, when the Treo 600/650 first came out, the big thing for many of us was and still is convergence. That's something that seems to be forgotten quite a bit these days. The whole reason many switched to a smartphone in the first place was specifically for that reason- to go from carrying multiple devices to one. I know with the popularity of the iPod, netbooks, etc. that that doesn't happen very much anymore, but some of us would like to carry as few things as possible. Telling someone they should buy a USB drive or use their laptop as an answer is more likely to drive them to another all-in-one device than anything else.
    All-in-one device such as...?

- iPhone has no keyboard, no video, no MMS, no turn-by-turn GPS, is crap at office productivity, and has no expandable storage.
    - Android G1 is light on apps, is missing several feature functions, has crappy onboard storage and battery life among other issues.
    - Blackberry Storm....well....next.
    - Blackberry Bold or Curve. Great productivity, but not great as a media device.

What is this magical all-in-one alternative that people who can't put microSD cards in the Pre will turn to?

There is NO (as in ZERO) device on the market that can meet EVERYBODY's needs in productivity, web browsing, media playing, navigation, and expandability. To fault Palm for not constructing this magical unicorn when no other company can either seems silly to me.

Even if the Pre had a microSD slot, you'd still carry CARDS around, thus eliminating it as an "all-in-one" device, no?

The vast majority of people who are away from desktops or WI-FI areas as much as these people claim to be are virtually mandated by their companies to have laptops on their person ANYWAY. So again...true one device convergence, even if it was an option, is still not viable for the people who would like it most.
    I don't think its a hard cap, but from my understanding, they start to look a little more closely at your usage if you're consistantly over 5GB a month.
    Thats cool then. 5GB should be enough for me and the phone anyway. I just plan on surfing the web and not do a whole lot of streaming, well, some music.
    All-in-one device such as...?

- iPhone has no keyboard, no video, no MMS, no turn-by-turn GPS, is crap at office productivity, and has no expandable storage.
    - Android G1 is light on apps, is missing several feature functions, has crappy onboard storage and battery life among other issues.
    - Blackberry Storm....well....next.
    - Blackberry Bold or Curve. Great productivity, but not great as a media device.

What is this magical all-in-one alternative that people who can't put microSD cards in the Pre will turn to?
    What?!? Do some reading on these very forums

There are something like 20 million windows mobile devices. the htc touch, the Palm Treo Pro and a slew of coming HTC devices do and will do all of that. Just because Sprint and Palm have match Pre up against iphone doesn't mean people on this forum who know what is out there will.

Even against Apple you need to consider the MONSTER Apple brand and a user base of 22 million sold iphones. Everyone wants Palm to succeed with Pre, users here are simply pointing to a problem that will alienate a certain number of buyers. Saying it isn't am issue for a significant group of people, especially power users, is factually incorrect.
    Please enjoy your Nokia N97 with an inferior OS, resistive touchscreen and about $350-550 more in asking price or your Samsung Omnia with Windows Mobile 6.1, low resolution plastic screen, and lack of hardware keyboard. Otherwise, ain't too many other phones out there with significant onboard storage and a microSD slot, and there's definitely none with anything close to what the Pre offers in hardware and software.
    So some phones with built in memory and a slot are garbage thus its a bad idea? huh?

I use a Blackberry 8900. I can use a 16gb card today, and by the time the Pre is available Im willing to bet 32gb cards will be on the horizon. And I do enjoy it very much.
    8GB should suffice for now for me, but I'd LIKE more memory capability &/or a card slot. It's not a deal-breaker. It is too hard to remove my Centro's card now anyway, so it might as well be built-in memory.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    What?!? Do some reading on these very forums

There are something like 20 million windows mobile devices. the htc touch, the Palm Treo Pro and a slew of coming HTC devices do and will do all of that. Just because Sprint and Palm have match Pre up against iphone doesn't mean people on this forum who know what is out there will.
    Wow! It was in front of my face the whole time! Windows Mobile is the answer! I wonder if that's why...

- They're the OS most in decline after Garnet
    - They're the platform losing the most marketshare
    - Most people list the inclusion on that device as a NEGATIVE (Hence all of the people begging HTC to put Android on the Touch Diamond, Touch pro, and Touch HD form factors)
    - Nobody is excited for the slew of new Windows Mobile phones released every month
    - Even desperate Sprint would rather put their precious money and marketing muscle with a junker like the Instinct against the iPhone than the HTC Touch...and they even charge more for the Instinct (at launch)!

Thanks for the revelation. There's your all-in-one device, folks.

Saying it isn't am issue for a significant group of people, especially power users, is factually incorrect.
    Actually, since "significant" is SUBjective, it is neither factually correct nor incorrect.
    Last edited by mikah912; 02/02/2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    So some phones with built in memory and a slot are garbage thus its a bad idea? huh?
    It's a bad idea for a company that has ONE shot at releasing ONE phone to compete against the 8GB iPhone in features AND price. That's what you folks keep missing. If you want Palm to come out of the gates firing with an N97-like beast with 32GB onboard memory and a card slot, go right ahead. That'd be great...for RIM, Microsoft, and Apple.

I use a Blackberry 8900. I can use a 16gb card today, and by the time the Pre is available Im willing to bet 32gb cards will be on the horizon. And I do enjoy it very much.
    Great. Are you enjoying the mediocre browser, 2.4-inch screen, old OS and average media playing functions as well?
    It's a bad idea for a company that has ONE shot at releasing ONE phone to compete against the 8GB iPhone in features AND price.
    You know, come June there's a pretty good chance there won't be an 8 GB iPhone on sale anymore. There's a pretty good chance the cheapest iPhone will be 16 GB. I'm not saying an 8 GB Pre can't compete with a 16 GB iPhone, but the storage discrepancy certainly wouldn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    You know, come June there's a pretty good chance there won't be an 8 GB iPhone on sale anymore. There's a pretty good chance the cheapest iPhone will be 16 GB. I'm not saying an 8 GB Pre can't compete with a 16 GB iPhone, but the storage discrepancy certainly wouldn't help.
    And there's a pretty good chance that iPhone won't have the Pre's:

- keyboard
    - camera
    - OS
    - gesture area

8 more GB is ONE differentiator, but it is not the only one. Meanwhile, the amount of non-Apple devices with 8GB onboard built-in that exist or have been announced for release by the time the Pre ships are:

- Samsung Omnia
    - Nokia N-Series
    - ?????

...I think they're in pretty good company.
    Frankly, this is just a stupid misrepresentation of my position. As I said above, NO portion of what I have said is based on my individual needs or even yours, for that matter. I've never made a claim that we should be "grateful" to Palm. For one, they are giving us nothing. This is their latest offering, and a significant step forward for the company. If it's not for you, then you should look elsewhere.

Only in America do people seem to think Symbian is inferior.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    And there's a pretty good chance that iPhone won't have the Pre's:
    - keyboard - camera OS- gesture area
    You are ignoring the 800wlb gorilla. Palm wont have Apples BRAND. Pre needs to best iphone.

The metric for smartphone value to the market is memory size. You and I may not like it, but that is the metric. that is the question people ask, is it an 8 or 16?

Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    You are going to see several months of leaks of the next gen iphones capabilities building up to summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You are ignoring the 800wlb gorilla. Palm wont have Apples BRAND. Pre needs to best iphone.
    And the way to do that is an mSD slot? Because that's really helped HTC, Samsung, LG, and all of other competitors get a leg up, eh?

Palm can't fight a brand. But Palm can build their own brand. How to do that? By offering features competitors CANNOT. Anybody can stick a mSD slot on their phone. As flash memory gets cheaper, they will also be able to put more GB onboard. These are not differentiators, nor brand builders. That's like saying their chief weapon to fight iPhone is the inclusion of a hardware keyboard.

The metric for smartphone value to the market is memory size. You and I may not like it, but that is the metric. that is the question people ask, is it an 8 or 16?
    Um, if they're buying an iPhone, it is. For the vast majority of other smartphones, it's:

1) What's the OS?
    2) What's the price?
    3) What's the form factor? (not necessarily in that order)

I mean, people pick Blackberries by asking "8 or 16"? Really?
    I used to have a Clie TH55 and a sony digital camera, and was nice to view the photos taken with the camera in the "big screen" of the clie. So the lack of a sdhc card slot, it is a disappointment for me, also the 8 GB are not enough. I guess in the palm world everything is simple, I am taking about the times when we have in our pdas nothing with text files, small pictures, etc etc. Now we live in the time of the video podcast and this files some of them are big! Will be nice if the memory on board could be 16 GB and affordable
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast