View Poll Results: How Important is NO Micro SDHC expansion to you?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait until Palm releases the next WebOS PRE type of device with on board memory expansion.

78 21.61%
  • I will buy a Non-Palm device with on board memory expansion.

23 6.37%
  • I am buying a PRE! 8 GB of on board memory is sufficient for me.

233 64.54%
  • I am buyiny a PRE! I don't care about large on board memory or expansion

27 7.48%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I have the "benefit" of not being able to get an upgrade credit til at the earliest August, so I am hoping that there'll be another WebOS Palm besides the Pre before too long after this release.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    its just a bad bad feeling Ive got
    Same here. I'm going to stop posting about the pre until I get some signs that:
    1) I won't have to drink cloud kool-aid and won't be stuck having sheep like faith in online services to keep my most personal info secure. I've done network security for too long to drink that flavor.
    2) Upgradeable storage will be added to the next few models.
    3) I am part of the target market.

They put together a helluva OS and really, a largely compelling piece of hardware. It would be a shame to see it marginalized by marketing dweebs with daydreams of being like Apple. If they want to be like Apple, they should see how Apple survived in the face of market domination by another entity... everytime Apple tried to go toe to toe with MS, they floundered and lost money. Everytime they focused on all those areas MS saw as unimportant, they made money and prospered. THAT's how they should be trying to emulate Apple.

They need to be everything that their competitors aren't in order to win. Otherwise the naysayers who say they are too late will be proven right with spectacularly abysmal sales numbers.

Good luck everyone.
    I'm going to chime in on the side that it's not about the capacity, but rather about the removability.

Crucially, I want to be able to create an up to the second backup, and then restore it. I'll list a few of the situations in which *I've* felt the need for that and maybe throw in a few that I've seen around these threads that totally fit into the spirit of what I'm thinking:
    • Backup device *just* before I hand it to Sprint tech so that if he has to reset it or give me a replacement, I have not only the "basics", as someone referred to PIM data, etc., I have all my apps, and *most* importantly, my up-to-the-second call log and text message history. 'Cause even I wait till I get back to my laptop, that stuff ain't gonna be there. And a lot of important stuff in my life happens via text message.
    • Backup the state of my phone *just* before I install a new app, esp. OTA. That way, if the new app doesn't play well with the stuff that I already have or vice versa, I can just restore, and it'll be as if the new app had never been installed, so no worry about files that didn't get uninstalled as the should have if i tried to uninstall the new app.
    • The contributor who had might have to reset his phone as during his workout. Immediate availability of all his stuff without having to go to his laptop or desktop.
    • The contributor who is even more careful about his data safety than I am, and who backups up his phone to his card, and stores it separately from his phone. Now *that's* backing up safely.
    OR as one of my poor employee had happen: went to dinner with another coworker while at the start of a month long business trip. Left phone in hotel room only to discover that someone broke into the room and stole his phone, camera, and the laptop that contained his phones backup. I had backups here but since he was on vacation the week before, I had nothing of his recent stuff and it took two weeks to get a replacement laptop for him.
    (At least the small USB drive that he does backups of his docs were still in his bag but the loss of the rest made for a very long month.)

Freak thing but I've seen too many freak things happen with the travelling crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    That palm is representative of the self-selecting group that we are - we aren't normal consumers, it's indicative of nothing.
    It is not representative, no one said it was. It is an indicator. this is t is why with a poll showing way more were interested I qualified it said eve if it is only is 5% to 15%. The point I emphasized a significant number of people will be factoring it as a non deal killing "con" vs a deal killer.

Do you see a "pro" to not having it? I mentioned about $10 added cost and perhaps 2% to 3% increase in gross volume.
    Last edited by aero; 01/12/2009 at 06:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Combo of no SD and no ability to roam internationally kills it for me.

My 680 won't last long enough for a subsidized Pre from AT&T let alone model "2".

I'm thinking of trying the Storm.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    about 45% wont here buy it with 8 gb and no expansion. that is pretty substantial.
    I'm with Shadowhawk. I can think of lots of circumstances where I'd need a reliable, up-to-the-minute backup capability. Without that card slot, it's just not there. Unless Palm has another method for this, and hasn't told anyone yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    I'm with Shadowhawk. I can think of lots of circumstances where I'd need a reliable, up-to-the-minute backup capability. Without that card slot, it's just not there. Unless Palm has another method for this, and hasn't told anyone yet.
    That is the concenus on the thread among serious users.

It is obvious Palm sees the weakness in leaving out expansion and swapping, deploying onto Facebook and elsewhere for PRPRPR $type$ $arguments$ $that$ $don$'$t$ $make$ $much$ $sense$.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    about 45% wont here buy it with 8 gb and no expansion. that is pretty substantial.
    It might be substantial for the users on this site, but let's face it, no matter what device we're talking about, people who discuss it in a forum dedicated to it are a very small subset of the total customer base.
    completely agree And not voting either. And why the heck do we need yet another mSD thread? There's not enough already to say all the same crap we've already said? To have Mikah and Mach be the pessimistic nellies in yet another thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    This was exactly my thought when I read the options. Sorry, but I'm not gonna even give my vote because I really think there should be microSD if they're not going to have a 16GB/32GB internal option. To people that say they haven't filled up their SD card for other phones, my response would be that its not even comparable. My 755p is by no means a media phone. Even with third party apps it sucks as a media phone. I expect there to be a ton of apps/games developed for the phone which will take a lot of space as it is, but music/movies can fill up 8GB in no time. I really hope palm has enough sense to kick the iphone's **** by adding the microSD slot. That, flash support, and some awesome 3rd party apps will finally shut up all those apple fanboys.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Yep. I mentioned that before. There's so much info that's not backed up to the Cloud that you'd lose when switching phones. Call log and message database are key. All my memos, bookmarks and such.

I'd imagine you could restore all your programs if they came from the app store. You could have a "restore all installed apps" option, but if you have a lot it could take awhile where restoring from a card would be easier and quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I'm going to chime in on the side that it's not about the capacity, but rather about the removability.

Crucially, I want to be able to create an up to the second backup, and then restore it. I'll list a few of the situations in which *I've* felt the need for that and maybe throw in a few that I've seen around these threads that totally fit into the spirit of what I'm thinking:
    • Backup device *just* before I hand it to Sprint tech so that if he has to reset it or give me a replacement, I have not only the "basics", as someone referred to PIM data, etc., I have all my apps, and *most* importantly, my up-to-the-second call log and text message history. 'Cause even I wait till I get back to my laptop, that stuff ain't gonna be there. And a lot of important stuff in my life happens via text message.
    • Backup the state of my phone *just* before I install a new app, esp. OTA. That way, if the new app doesn't play well with the stuff that I already have or vice versa, I can just restore, and it'll be as if the new app had never been installed, so no worry about files that didn't get uninstalled as the should have if i tried to uninstall the new app.
    • The contributor who had might have to reset his phone as during his workout. Immediate availability of all his stuff without having to go to his laptop or desktop.
    • The contributor who is even more careful about his data safety than I am, and who backups up his phone to his card, and stores it separately from his phone. Now *that's* backing up safely.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    8 Gb holds about 2000 songs or about 16 full divx compressed AVI movies at @ 500mb each. I don't know too many people who would play 2000 songs straight or watch 16 movies at one time (which the battery can't do anyways) without going back for a recharge or swapping media from their PCs. It takes all of a few seconds to swap media in/out and you're ready for your next long flight or workout. Not a big deal. Seriously.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Seconds...

And of course... having to constantly swap out files at a computer, kind of negates the whole idea of making the Pre not dependent on a computer.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    And why the heck do we need yet another mSD thread?
    This is the orignal thread. the other thread had what a lot think of as a a trolling title.I think you meant to post your comment off this thread to th other thread?

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It might be substantial for the users on this site, but let's face it, no matter what device we're talking about, people who discuss it in a forum dedicated to it are a very small subset of the total customer base.
    That is why I wrote, users "here."
    You are right, a forum of long time smartphone users maybe more experienced in thinking about features before the general public weighs them.

Lol, in the few hours since last post five people signed up as brand new users yesterday just to vote they didn't need it. somebody got ticked!
    Last edited by aero; 02/02/2009 at 06:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    8 Gb holds about 2000 songs or about 16 full divx compressed AVI movies at @ 500mb each. I don't know too many people who would play 2000 songs straight or watch 16 movies at one time (which the battery can't do anyways) without going back for a recharge or swapping media from their PCs. It takes all of a few seconds to swap media in/out and you're ready for your next long flight or workout. Not a big deal. Seriously.
    Thank you! I don't know why so many people are making such a big deal about nothing. Yes, they are going to have to do things a little differently but it's not like it won't work. They almost certainly will get more storage space in a future generation/model so just wait till then and stop all the whining. Or they would at least wait until they are sure there is an actual valid gripe before they start complaining. For >90% of people today 8 Gb is more than enough space for them to work with considering much of their information will be automatically brought in from and possibly stored in the cloud.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Maybe is you listen to music at low bit rates you can fit 2000 songs, but people that care about sound quality rip at higher rates (256 to 320 for me) so I can't fit that much. And constantly going back and forth to the computer to put on new content is annoying. And that's just music. What about videos? What about PDF's and office files along with other work files and just programs in general. Not to mention call logs and messages db's.

The Pre has the ability to replace some DMP's now with its capabilities yet 8gb is extremely basic in the storage world.

And outside of this forum, many people have music and media dumbphones, most of which have expansion slots. The only thing that prohibits many from utilizing larger cards than 2 or 4gb's is cost. But that is changing quick with 16gb cards hovering around $50 or so. So the least they could've done is came out with 16gb. Then we'd be down to complaining about backup in certain situations and something else I mentioned elsewhere but am drawing a blank at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is that the people most likely to vote are those polarized one way or another.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Maybe is you listen to music at low bit rates you can fit 2000 songs, but people that care about sound quality rip at higher rates (256 to 320 for me) so I can't fit that much. And constantly going back and forth to the computer to put on new content is annoying. And that's just music. What about videos? What about PDF's and office files along with other work files and just programs in general. Not to mention call logs and messages db's.
    ?!! What person who needs that much portable productivity does NOT have a laptop? I mean, seriously. I rather listen to music, watch videos, and DEFINITELY work on PDFs and Office files there than any phone.

Your phone - even a smartphone - should be a stopgap measure at best until you can get to the office or hookup your laptop to a wifi area or LAN. If you just want to use your phone for nothing but entertainment, 8GB is enough storage for you to put on 1500 320 bitrate MP3s, a couple of movies, and lots of documents, and still have room left over for apps and the operating system. If you need more than that on any phone, slot or no, you either swap out cards or swap over files. There's no inherent advantage to one over the other.

The Pre has the ability to replace some DMP's now with its capabilities yet 8gb is extremely basic in the storage world.
    Really? You've seen all facets of the onboard media player? It has an equalizer? Ranks songs? Plays numerous video codecs with no problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ?!! What person who needs that much portable productivity does NOT have a laptop? I mean, seriously. I rather listen to music, watch videos, and DEFINITELY work on PDFs and Office files there than any phone.

Your phone - even a smartphone - should be a stopgap measure at best until you can get to the office or hookup your laptop to a wifi area or LAN. If you just want to use your phone for nothing but entertainment, 8GB is enough storage for you to put on 1500 320 bitrate MP3s, a couple of movies, and lots of documents, and still have room left over for apps and the operating system. If you need more than that on any phone, slot or no, you either swap out cards or swap over files. There's no inherent advantage to one over the other.
    This is getting a little ridiculous, as many people have said, just because one person doesn't need the storage space doesn't mean others don't. I'm getting the Pre anyway but I would prefer more space myself. I've got 70GB of music on a media server on my network, so no I wouldn't expect all of it to fit on any phone. That being said, I'd prefer to get as much of it on there as possible for convenience sake, in addition to sometimes going on long trips where I don't have access to the server. (And with Sprint's 5GB limit, streaming more just wouldn't work for me.) Yes, I also have a laptop, but for the interest of speed I have a 32GB SSD, which means no, my laptop is not able to be used as a repository for all my music... not to mention that there are many others who only use a laptop for business purposes.

I personally think the debate about the SD slot and smaller capacities is getting a little old because Palm has clearly already made their decision whether its for financial reasons, engineering reasons, or whatever, but some people do have a need for more space than you do, and that's not going to change.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast