View Poll Results: How Important is NO Micro SDHC expansion to you?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait until Palm releases the next WebOS PRE type of device with on board memory expansion.

78 21.61%
  • I will buy a Non-Palm device with on board memory expansion.

23 6.37%
  • I am buying a PRE! 8 GB of on board memory is sufficient for me.

233 64.54%
  • I am buyiny a PRE! I don't care about large on board memory or expansion

27 7.48%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Pretty much the same for me - PIM, surfing, might copy a copy of films across for if I get stuck somewhere.
    me too. i think we're the fat middle palm's targeting. i wish they'd use a more flattering term.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GearGoddess View Post
    me too. i think we're the fat middle palm's targeting. i wish they'd use a more flattering term.
    I prefer the term solid middle or broad middle thanks you very much

Looking at my current phone, the only must have app is Ewallet

I'd like something like powersms but that's it...
    Of all of you who are fine with the 8GB, would any of you NOT buy the phone BECAUSE it had a SD Card slot? Even if it meant the price of the phone was an extra 10 bucks(I'm not sure how much it would cost, probably a fraction of 10)?

If the answer to the first or second one is "no", and those "no"s are equal to or greatly outnumber those who will not buy the phone without it, then and only then would it make sense not to do it(to me anyway). Is there really anyone here, who is going to say no to this same phone with an SD card slot? I would be very surprised if there was a single person.

That would seem to be the fatter middle, and it would seem in Palm's best interest to be aiming for that instead.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    "8GB is enough for most people" sounds awfully like the classic quote from Bill Gates about 640K of RAM.
    Quite. I had a 16GB card in my 680 (full too). If I bought a new device today, I'd expect it to last at least 2 years, by which time 32 or even 64GB cards will be cheap as chips!

I'd ideally like to not have to select the music from my collection I keep in my phone too, so I really need a 128GB card
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon213 View Post
    Of all of you who are fine with the 8GB, would any of you NOT buy the phone BECAUSE it had a SD Card slot? Even if it meant the price of the phone was an extra 10 bucks(I'm not sure how much it would cost, probably a fraction of 10)?

If the answer to the first or second one is "no", and those "no"s are equal to or greatly outnumber those who will not buy the phone without it, then and only then would it make sense not to do it(to me anyway). Is there really anyone here, who is going to say no to this same phone with an SD card slot? I would be very surprised if there was a single person.

That would seem to be the fatter middle, and it would seem in Palm's best interest to be aiming for that instead.
    That's like asking: "Would you not buy the phone if it got up and made you breakfast in the morning?"

Of course I'd still buy the phone if it had a mini/micro SD card slot - I'm just saying the lack of one is not going to stop me from buying it.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    That's a really good question. I'm big on customizing my phone to the way I do things & with the apps & music that make it most useful & enjoyable for me. That said, with only a relatively small music library on my phone, plus apps & GPS maps, I've already taken up close to 1/4 of of the space on the 16 gig card in my Treo Pro. And that doesn't count the things that will only install directly on the device. Assuming that the Pre will do real GPS (& someone will create GPS software for it), it wouldn't take very long to fill up most of the available 8 gig.
    Appreciate the poll, but there is one or two important checkbox answer missing:

- The absence of SD expansion is a negative but one of several factors I will consider when it actually comes out

- I would have paid $10-$15 more and taken a 2% or 3% increase in net size to have an sd slot.

All feature sets are compromises. there is really no answer on the existing ones for people who are bothered by it and for whom it reduces the comparative advantage, but not the final decision, when the phone finally hits.

I'm fine with the 8GB, any more expandable memory is just a nice lil bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    That's like asking: "Would you not buy the phone if it got up and made you breakfast in the morning?"
    I quite disagree. The cost to add the feature to the phone to give it SD card support is probably a few dollars. The cost to give it the ability to make you breakfast is probably not even calculatable. One is absurd, one is reasonable.

Of course I'd still buy the phone if it had a mini/micro SD card slot - I'm just saying the lack of one is not going to stop me from buying it.

Martin
    You clearly missed my point. YOU will buy it. I won't. OTHERS here won't. For a few bucks more, without any detriment to the existing target market, they could have targeted a much wider market. Let's hope they come to their senses in the next model.
    Last edited by gideon213; 01/12/2009 at 12:51 PM.
    I quite disagree. The cost to add the feature to the phone to give it SD card support is probably a few dollars. The cost to give it the ability to make you breakfast is probably not even calculatable. One is absurd, one is reasonable.

You clearly missed my point. YOU will buy it. I won't. OTHERS here won't. For a few bucks more, they could have targeted a much fatter middle. Let's hope they come to their senses in the next model.
    Thank you for a serious post.

It isn't just about people who will or won't, but the majority of people who will take a number of considerations and weigh all the pro and cons. this is one con.

If it s 15% of a group of people (or as the poll currently shows 30%), or even 5% who will not buy it based on this single issue, and other group, most, will take it a negative among ten or 30 features they self-enumerated as important -- in any order of importance when weighing against other devices -- it is still a rational consideration.

this is not a slam on the device or as some say on these forums "whining" but expressions of personal preference. It is an excellent device. It is great for Palm, great for Sprint, great for people interested and even great for people disinterested because it raises competition.

I weighed the lack of a external headphone jack on the 800w as a con when I bought it. For some it was dealbreaker, for me it was a con. But this business by the other commenter on the discussion of the issue being analogous to it not "making breakfast" is strange.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Thank you for a serious post.

If it s 15% of a group of people (or as the poll currently shows 30%), or even 5% who will not buy it based on this single issue and other group, most, will take it a negative among ten or 30 features they enumerated as ijportant -- in any order of importance -- when weighing against other devices.
    That palm is representative of the self-selecting group that we are - we aren't normal consumers, it's indicative of nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Or you will simply prioritize your storage. I have an 8 gig card in my Centro that I'll occasionally have to prune to accommodate newer content. 16 gig support would be nice, but demographically, the need for that much storage is probably an edge case. The Touch Diamond has sold very well with half the memory of the Pre.
    But part of the frustration is... Palm has never made us prioritize up to this point and who are they to make us start now?

With expandable storage its up to the users discretion and budget. For those who say I have xyz GB SD card... and I havent filled it up... that doesnt mean that there are a fair ammout of us who have and purchase the biggest card possible once its out.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk View Post
    Quite. I had a 16GB card in my 680 (full too). If I bought a new device today, I'd expect it to last at least 2 years, by which time 32 or even 64GB cards will be cheap as chips!

I'd ideally like to not have to select the music from my collection I keep in my phone too, so I really need a 128GB card
    Bingo. Im also assuming you backup to your 16GB card. So it has both media and backups. I do the same. My card is damn near full.

How in this cloud concept am I going to be able to restore my media in the case of a hard reset? I dont care what the connection speed 16GB is a lot of data (so is 8) to be transferring OTA.

There is a major flaw here.

I also agree with the poster whos point was... would you NOT buy it if it HAD expandable storage?
    There is no spoon.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post

How in this cloud concept am I going to be able to restore my media in the case of a hard reset?

You'd plug it into your pc, it becames a mass storage device and you use whatever product you normally use to sync (I *really* like allway sync) to mass storage device (or maybe that's what chapura are working on?)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You'd plug it into your pc, it becames a mass storage device and you use whatever product you normally use to sync (I *really* like allway sync) to mass storage device (or maybe that's what chapura are working on?)
    Not if I dont have my lapper with me I wont. Isnt that what Palms trying to get away from supposedly? No connection to a PC at all?

For example... I spend a fair ammout of time in the gym. My 700P is critical to me. I keep my workouts on it so I know what I should be doing next. I also use it as a music player with BT stereo head sets.

Its been known to flake on me every so often and I have to reset it and restore it. My media is still there as well as my workouts once Ive restored. In your scenario, Id have to wait till I tether to my lapper to drag my music back to my unit.

It may sound petty to you but that would drive me crazy not to have my music with me while I work out.

Im sure there are hundreds of other scenarios that this same thing would come into play.

Expandable storage solves ALL these issues. NOT having it creates them. Having it would appeal to more people NOT having it doesnt really rule anyone out I would think.
    There is no spoon.
    I get that they are going to follow Apples (potentially) business plan with releasing a bigger unit every 6-18 mos to make peeps buy the new one. The problem with this is as I said earlier... This is a huge paridigm shift with that Palm has used. They have never made us "prioritize" our information with the availability of expandable storage. To make us buy the 16 or 32GB version in 12-18mos is absurd.
    There is no spoon.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Not if I dont have my lapper with me I wont. Isnt that what Palms trying to get away from supposedly? No connection to a PC at all?
    PIM yes, all media... no? I just don't see how you could be constantly throwing around @8gb of material over the air.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    They have never made us "prioritize" our information with the availability of expandable storage. To make us buy the 16 or 32GB version in 12-18mos is absurd.
    Isn't that the point? Palm is happy for people like us to drop off if we can be replaced with new customers - if Palm cared about Palm OS users, the device would have native app support and a desktop sync.
    I get that they are going to follow Apples (potentially) business plan with releasing a bigger unit every 6-18 mos to make peeps buy the new one. The problem with this is as I said earlier... This is a huge paridigm shift with that Palm has used. They have never made us "prioritize" our information with the availability of expandable storage. To make us buy the 16 or 32GB version in 12-18mos is absurd.
    I really and truly hope that Palm recognizes it is NOT Apple and does not have the fan base/loyalty to get away with the less than ideal way Apple offers phones.

You could pick up a dog **** from any old dog park, wrap it up in tinfoil then Apple brand it and call it "iPoop" and you'll have a ton of Apple fanboys ready to buy it and tell everyone about how much better the iPoop is than anything else.(I use, love, and advocate MacOSX so this isn't an Apple hater talking). Palm does not have that luxury.

If it is truly Palm's strategy to go after Apple's marketshare, rather than going for all those Apple has failed to satisfy with their offerings, then truly Palm is too late and pre is doomed.
    I really and truly hope that Palm recognizes it is NOT Apple and does not have the fan base/loyalty to get away with the less than ideal way Apple offers phones.

You could pick up a dog **** from any old dog park, wrap it up in tinfoil then Apple brand it and call it "iPoop" and you'll have a ton of Apple fanboys ready to buy it and tell everyone about how much better the iPoop is than anything else.(I use, love, and advocate MacOSX so this isn't an Apple hater talking). Palm does not have that luxury.

If it is truly Palm's strategy to go after Apple's marketshare, rather than going for all those Apple has failed to satisfy with their offerings, then truly Palm is too late and pre is doomed.
    Which is why I said Potentially... its just a bad bad feeling Ive got

and 2... which is why they should have expandable storage!!! hahaha

Look we came full circle.
    There is no spoon.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast