View Poll Results: How Important is NO Micro SDHC expansion to you?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait until Palm releases the next WebOS PRE type of device with on board memory expansion.

78 21.61%
  • I will buy a Non-Palm device with on board memory expansion.

23 6.37%
  • I am buying a PRE! 8 GB of on board memory is sufficient for me.

233 64.54%
  • I am buyiny a PRE! I don't care about large on board memory or expansion

27 7.48%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516 LastLast
    I was not familiar with Mesh and briefly browsed the link you posted. My impression from this cursory review is that Microsoft would be storing my personal data somewhere on their server, as suggested by their description of "Live Desktop. Your Windows PC on the web—complete with 5 GB of free storage space—where you can see all your synchronized folders in one place."

That is exactly what I would not want to have on their servers or any others outside of my control.

But thank you very much for the suggestion, theog. That is the kind of help I am looking for, but not quite an acceptable solution for me.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    you can activlty back up a Win based PC in 2 - 4 minutes for about 2 gb over the net. MOzzy.com does this. Online Backup, Data Backup & Remote Backup Solutions from Mozy.com – Welcome

if you can doe this for a home PC, why can;t you do soemthing similer for the phone??
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Because the PC has a much faster processor to compress the data?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    I was not familiar with Mesh and briefly browsed the link you posted. My impression from this cursory review is that Microsoft would be storing my personal data somewhere on their server, as suggested by their description of "Live Desktop. Your Windows PC on the web—complete with 5 GB of free storage space—where you can see all your synchronized folders in one place."

That is exactly what I would not want to have on their servers or any others outside of my control.

But thank you very much for the suggestion, theog. That is the kind of help I am looking for, but not quite an acceptable solution for me.
    They have that solution, but mesh can also work like p2p. And honestly, and solution you use via the net will store some type of data (even if tombstones) to ensure the right information is in sync. If they say they don't, then they lie. lol

In other words, you don't have to use the online storage of mesh... test it and read about it.... seems you skimmed the surface and quickly decided it was not going to work for you... you have to look into solutions if you want to find a solution. That is in general, heck, even after closer look you might find something else you don't like about mesh.... all good....

Personally, I think mesh is one the top 20 apps ever released from Microsoft... I'm finding things to do with the app that I never thought... people are doing all kinds of things....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    seems you skimmed the surface and quickly decided it was not going to work for you...
    You are absolutely correct. I confess fully, and I thought I had admitted that up front. I assure you that if there isn't a microSD option by the time I get around to making a Pre-purchase decision, I will look in depth into Mesh and other options that are suggested.

The concept I would prefer for internet backup is an app running on the Pre that would determine what has been changed since the last backup, compress and encript that data, and send it via the internet to my desktop machine without going by way of some other host site where it would be stored (possibly at some expense for me) for hacking by some snoop. A restore function, either total or partial, should be available in the same manner.

Since you are familiar with Mesh, can you tell the too-lazy-to-read-it-all-just-now me whether Mesh has that capability? (And if I haven't adequately said it yet, I genuinely do appreciate your input on this.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    with streaming music 8GB is more than enough... still have 6.5 GB and have 76 apps loaded - 1.2 helped speed and streamlined battery usage... nice Palm!
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    Lack of an SD card is an issue but not a deal breaker. I have never backed up to SD cards and don't see the need. My Treos have always been used as convenient access to data stored elsewhere and for entertainment. I am probably smack in the middle of the Palm Pre's target demographic.

I listen to losslessly ripped audio exclusively and 8GB of on board memory is going to severely curtail my audio capacity. I carry a dozen or so 4GB cards now with WMA audio and video programs for use when I fly.

Lack of an SD card is not going to stop me from buying the Pre but I can see I'll be using the USB cable and USB drive capability quite often to rotate audio and video off and on the device.

Martin
    It would be nice if someone made an adapter and program to let you use a jump drive or SDcard via the data port....anyone thought of this yet?
    Streaming music is a wildly inadequate solution. For instance, here I am in Italy. I COULD stream. But how much would that cost me with my USA dataplan? Then sometimes it is difficult to get reception. Try streaming on an airplane, or a subway.. etc.

No card slot--no interest.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires View Post
    Streaming music is a wildly inadequate solution. For instance, here I am in Italy. I COULD stream. But how much would that cost me with my USA dataplan? Then sometimes it is difficult to get reception. Try streaming on an airplane, or a subway.. etc.

No card slot--no interest.
    How much storage would it need to have for you to not care if it was removable?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    My Treo 700p had the slot and I didn't come close to filling it up, mainly because I don't need the phone to replace other media playing devices, i.e., I've got a nice stereo in my car, I ain't walking or catching public transport to get to anywhere, I work out at home: so i don't need a mp3 player. And if I fly, there is no way I'm gonna watch 3.1 inches of X-Men Origins or Ernest Save Christmas, when I can bring along a portable DVD or my laptop. I only need the space for documents and apps.
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I bought the Pre despite its memory limitation. I would love to be able to be able to take just one device with me - hopefully Palm includes more memory and/or sd expansion in a subsequent WebOS device. If the iPhone is the target, then Palm needs to step up and offer at least 16GB of storage onboard in addition to a micro SD slot in order to be realistically competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    How much storage would it need to have for you to not care if it was removable?
    Excellent question; I was thinking about that myself. I think there would at least have to be 32gb. (Which replicates the 32gb card I have....)

However, I still say having the card ability presents many options that built-in memory does not. Removable storage is important. The lack of it is a serious flaw.

If it were not for this---and is there any way the Pre reads Mobi secure books?---I'd probably upgrade. As it is, the cons outweigh the pros for me.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    I bought an sd card for my treo 755 and never used it. If I ever get to the point that I watch movies on my pre, or if we give video and it takes up a lot of space, I might change my mind.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    I found that the lack of SD slot was the first thing i noticed when reading through the specs. Lucky for me, I have to wait until April 2010 to upgrade my phone. Hopefully by then Palm will be pushing something better. With the Pixi coming out in a few days, i have to wonder what is coming nest. The took out Wifi and still 8Gb with no SD. Maybe Pre 2.0 will be a little better.

Look at creative labs new toy at zii.com. This is a demo toy that has better hardware than any phone on or soon to be on the market today. The only thing it needs is the radio chip (an easy add). When it first came out you could order the Zii Egg with up to 128Gb internal and the SD is ready for up to 32Gb.

Palm need to make a phone that reminds us that they invented the smartphone. Its time to get innovative and make something grand.
    With limited hardware and carriers along with the lack of features in other new smartphones (ie. expansion), I'm putting my faith in Android. The Zii Egg is a good example of the future. So is Barnes & Nobles stolen ereader. With about six phones on multiple carriers and their 2.0 OS coming out, I'm finding webOS and its hardware less and less appealing as a long term solution. I think developers are going to skip webOS and develop for Android. Just get the feeling that webOS is going to go the way of HDDVD, betamax and such if they don't get a little radical for round two.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    ok so 8 gigs of music is like what almost 2000 songs.... seriously who the hell needs that much music???.... I dont even have that much music on my computer I only have 5 gigs and I can tell you 50% of that I dont even listen too...sounds like some fairly unrealistic people imho. watching full length movies on my cell also seems ridiculous, I mean where the hell are you that you actually would sit for an hour and a half an stare at your cell phone to watch a movie? If your going on a plane... try a laptop much nicer to watch 15" then 1.5" I had a 8 gig card in my treo 800 but that was just because it needed it for backup which now can all be done OTA. People complain way too much. Its not a laptop its a cell phone.
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
    as the processors get faster, the screens get nicer, the designs more user friendly, they become more like little laptops capable of allowing us to leave our actual laptops at home or in the bag a bit more.

I have about 60gigs of music (and no I don't want it all on my phone) and probably close to that in videos. A lot of the videos are technique and product videos. I also keep pictures from surgeries and product pdfs on there I can show my docs during impromptu sales calls which ends up being a majority of my foot in the door type of sales calls.

I really could care less how you use your cell phone or how small your music collection is. Maybe you need to expand your horizons a bit, I don't know. But for you to tell me or anyone how we should or shouldn't use our phone is just ludicrous.

I'm a 13yr PalmOS user who eagerly awaited the Pre. Mine went back after a week of ownership. Subpar build, subpar PIM, no expansion and a few other things here and there just didn't give me a reason to stay with it. Actually went to the Treo Pro and was fairly happy with all it could do. Not as simple as my Centro, but some of the other bells and whistles made it worth it. Moving to Android, I don't see any of the downside I had with the Pre. I have better hardware options including a 4g capable phone in the somewhat near future if the rumors hold true. I have expansion. I've developed a collection of class 6 microSD's I can now use in my digital camera which makes it easy to pop in my phone and send out or upload. In fact my phone will automatically resize a pic so it will easily go via MMS. Found that by accident.

I don't hate webOS. In fact I think it's pretty slick. I'm not hating, and I'm not whining. I'm just being realistic. I have more choices than before, and I just see more upside to Android than I do webOS. You want to be a ******, that's fine. Just don't call people who have different needs whiners. You just come off as immature.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    How about yet another option- I think the memory is fine but didn't buy a Pre for other reasons.
    well considering the title of the thread, that option probably wasn't appropriate at the time. Valid choice though. The 8gb limit wasn't really my main reason for not getting one so I probably would've opted for that choice as well. Though option 2 could still fit your needs if the phone you chose has a card slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    as the processors get faster, the screens get nicer, the designs more user friendly, they become more like little laptops capable of allowing us to leave our actual laptops at home or in the bag a bit more.

I have about 60gigs of music (and no I don't want it all on my phone) and probably close to that in videos. A lot of the videos are technique and product videos. I also keep pictures from surgeries and product pdfs on there I can show my docs during impromptu sales calls which ends up being a majority of my foot in the door type of sales calls.

I really could care less how you use your cell phone or how small your music collection is. Maybe you need to expand your horizons a bit, I don't know. But for you to tell me or anyone how we should or shouldn't use our phone is just ludicrous.

I'm a 13yr PalmOS user who eagerly awaited the Pre. Mine went back after a week of ownership. Subpar build, subpar PIM, no expansion and a few other things here and there just didn't give me a reason to stay with it. Actually went to the Treo Pro and was fairly happy with all it could do. Not as simple as my Centro, but some of the other bells and whistles made it worth it. Moving to Android, I don't see any of the downside I had with the Pre. I have better hardware options including a 4g capable phone in the somewhat near future if the rumors hold true. I have expansion. I've developed a collection of class 6 microSD's I can now use in my digital camera which makes it easy to pop in my phone and send out or upload. In fact my phone will automatically resize a pic so it will easily go via MMS. Found that by accident.

I don't hate webOS. In fact I think it's pretty slick. I'm not hating, and I'm not whining. I'm just being realistic. I have more choices than before, and I just see more upside to Android than I do webOS. You want to be a ******, that's fine. Just don't call people who have different needs whiners. You just come off as immature.
    I am very sorry I have offended you, I suppose I must be immature because to whine about how something that you bought isn't adequate when you were provided complete disclosure on the box as well as on these forums well before the phone actually became available wouldn't be something that you might consider whining.

You sir would be the minority based not on my opinion but the poll at the top of this thread. If you really need 60gb you probably should reevaluate your choices in phones. If you really actually carry around 6 microSD cards you should in actual fact consider hiring an individual to help you manage (think for you) your technical world.
    I am well aware of what MY phone can do and what I bought it for. I am well aware of the screen resolutions and the processor speeds, however at no point in time will it replace my desk or laptop because it can not and will not ever be capable of doing what they can do nor will they ever more then likely allow me to do it as efficiently.

Its provides me enormous amounts of comfort to know that my doctors might be watching an instructional video on a pre, let alone buying any kind of medical gadget(that’s what they would sell on an infomercial) because they watched the infomercial on a cell phone... sounds like I need to be more assiduous when choosing doctors if I ever need surgery.. Sounds reminiscent of some horrific Mexican doctors.

At no point in time did I state how you should or shouldn't use your phone for all I care you could insert it securely in your rectum on vibrate.

The exact problem is exactly what you have stated, you are stuck on old ideas after 13 years. I run an extremely successful business and have 14 phones running and they all work together with our network, email, calendars, CRM, accounting, credit card processing as well as many other systems quite seamlessly. I have switched through 4 pre's and all the data migrates seamlessly. Perhaps the problem isn't the pre but the same old useless Microsoft products that Microsoft has always produced such as outlook and exchange. Just because there is a McDonald's on every corner certainly doesn't make them the best at what they do that just simply have the best business system in place.

Finally, Sir, it is my opinion that you are a lazy individual who simply can not deal with problems so instead you simply give up. Those who are fighters make it work and revolutionize and sculpt WebOs, the pre and the world.

P.S. Make sure to call your roadside assistance for that flat you got in your driveway.
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view