View Poll Results: How Important is NO Micro SDHC expansion to you?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait until Palm releases the next WebOS PRE type of device with on board memory expansion.

78 21.61%
  • I will buy a Non-Palm device with on board memory expansion.

23 6.37%
  • I am buying a PRE! 8 GB of on board memory is sufficient for me.

233 64.54%
  • I am buyiny a PRE! I don't care about large on board memory or expansion

27 7.48%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Let me ask something. So if you have 20GB of music stored in the cloud or on your computer, you can play it through the Pre as long as you can access it? Will the Pre read all 20GB?

If you're talking about just swapping files, that's not expandability. But if you mean the Pre will read the contents of another drive and play them just like a computer with an external drive attached to it(or phone with a memory card) would, then you have something.
    Ever heard of Orb? Google it.
    why not be a regular guy and just post a link.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Streaming or Playing music off a 'Cloud' (Orb or otherwise)
    How well does that work if you live where 3G isn't available?
    I live in the boonies
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I live in the boonies
    Not well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The second generation iPod Touch is the best seller and it launched on Sept. 9, 2008 - a little less than six months ago. That's also according to the "very Amazon numbers" I posted.
    And last month the ipod touch 8 GB was 8th on amazon, and the ipod touch 16GB was 20th. today the 8GB is 10th and the 16GB is 12th. Your very example disproves your own assertion.

What your example shows is relentless market share in increase of Apple in 16GB while it s 8GB drops in relative market share.

As was pointed out several times anyway the ipod touch, the way you represented t was not a good example. Ipod touches are NOT discounted by carriers. They are not the same 2 year commitment. neither, as everyone but you understands ,are SD cards sold with two year commitments to a finite memory.! (that is the point of enormous consumer advantage in scalabilityy)

That is why for 2009, in MOBILE phones, which carry two year contracts which launched n May 09 would mean the average user still has in in Spring of 2011, the low memory is a deal killer for 1/3 of the poll respondents here and an issue, a tick in the con column, for even more.

An that is exactly why handsets launched this year ,in this market segment of top smartphones, virtually all offer a model of 16 to 32 GB capacity either installed or user scalable.

You fundamentally don't understand the smartphone business, that is why you keep confronting all the other posters here. You seem to think people want this phone for 3 months and won't be on contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    The fat middle loves to follow the herd and have the latest shiny new thing. While they love a good deal they also like to keep up with the Jones' so they will buy the Pre even though they don't understand it just because they saw the latest new star in Hollywood using one...
    Your argument actually goes to status branding. You are actually giving an argument that people will prefer iPhone to Pre despite any advantage in specs the Pre may have.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And the reason they're not buying them (and the reason your theory makes no sense) is the "fat middle of the market" wants a phone for $25-99 dollars (or free). Pre can't compete in that price range and make any money for Palm or Sprint.

" Report: Smartphone market share will triple
    March 20th, 2008, 2:25 pm ∑ Post a Comment ∑ posted by Sonya Smith, Staff Writer

ABI Research released a prediction today that by 2013 one in every three phones sold will be a smartphone.

The smartphone market will grow from 10 percent of the total handset market in 2007 to 31 percent of the market in 2013, according to ABI. The study suggests that growth will come from a push by cell carriers wanting to make more money from data plans."

So where is the growth in smartphone going to come from? Wouldn't it be from people that now own dumbphones?
    I live in the boonies
    Something that hurts the Cloud expandability of the Pre, if it is possible. Also better make sure you signed up for unlimited data and carry an extra battery. Also if using programs like Orb, your home computer needs to be on too and I think connected to the internet if I'm reading the FAQs on Orb right.

I still stand by expansion slots. Or 16GB in 2009, if you're not going to include expansion.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Somehow, I just don't think we can make this thread last to the 500 post mark.
    All said and done, a 32gb card will be a lot cheaper than a 32gb Pre.
    What's the chances of me needing 32gb, and not having cloud access, and not being near a laptop? I don't care.
    An expansion slot would of been nice, deal breaker for some maybe, not me.
    But hey, I'm not getting a Pre, I've got a Treo Pro.
    Just call me Berd.
    How large of a card does the Pro take?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    32gb
    Just call me Berd.
    Pro should take a 32gb card.

What happens at the 500 post mark or what's the big deal about reaching it?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I thought someone said 250 posts and still same ol same ol.
    Maybe it was a Pm someone sent me about this thread.
    Like, 'how could this thread go another 250 posts'?
    Just call me Berd.
    oh that's easy. just keep entertaining arguments from the brick wall, I mean mikah
    yeah ... like what the hell have we been talking about the last 250+ posts ??????
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Well, I thought I would contribute to reaching 500 posts on this thread by asking for a little advice/enlightenment. And one of my issues relates to microSD cards, so I am not totally off topic.

I love my 755p and the apps that I have running. I am thrilled by the delightful user interface of the Pre, but my thinking about how I would actually use one is heavily influenced by the way I use the 755p. If the handset and plan are attractively priced, I have no qualms about paying to replace my PalmOS apps with equivalent webOS apps, if they are available.

Here is my current situation: I backup my data automatically to a removable card every night and have thereby been saved in the past when my device died away from home. When home, I synch my Treo to my desktop Mac and enter data on both of them, so local synch is part of my present mindset. I use TomTom Navigator with maps stored on a removable card, and I am a heavy user of SplashMoney and SplashID. I have some mp3s on my Treo, but music/video is not a big issue for me, and I do not play games on the Treo. I use Snapper for pop mail, but I do not use Facebook, Google Calendar, Hotmail, Exchange servers or any of the other services that have been promoted as benefits of Pre synergy. I am quite uncomfortable with the notion of having my personal info stored or backed up over the internet to a service that I do not control.

Hereís the enlightenment I need: given my use of the 755p, is it likely that a Pre will offer the functionality that I am accustomed to? I think I am really looking forward to the screen and user interface, but not if I canít do the things that I have been doing before (or their equivalents).

Can someone give me a degree of assurance that I would be able to achieve similar functionality without removable media and without reliance on a new 3rd party service? How should I expect to manage my data, protect against data loss in the event of failures, and maintain personal privacy/security?

Limited by my current mode of thought, I feel I will need to wait until a removable media form of the Pre is released along with a bunch of new apps. Please help me find a new line of thinking on these issues so that I could draw the benefits of the Pre screen and interface.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    To be honest, i don't see you being able to use the Pre as you stated. I think probably it'll have a local sync only because i can't imagine palm not giving that option. But that isn't fact and to be honest, i wish palm would address this concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    Can someone give me a degree of assurance that I would be able to achieve similar functionality without removable media and without reliance on a new 3rd party service? How should I expect to manage my data, protect against data loss in the event of failures, and maintain personal privacy/security?
    Don't think that anybody can. No way of duplicating your immediate restore via the card when away from a PC except via "the cloud". Of course if you have access to a PC then the fact that the Pre can be a USB mass storage device has some scope for a suitable backup/restore cabability.
    Suppose I ask the question this way -- is there a reasonable way to automatically or continuously backup (and subsequently restore) a Pre via the internet, with the backup device being my own desktop computer? That is, can I use the "cloud" for backup without relying on any sort of long-term storage on anyone else's server, just maybe an internet buffer? That way I should not need to pay for or rely upon the security of a service I don't control, other than the internet hubs. For now, I have poked very few holes in my home firewall, and I don't think the machines on my LAN are very visible outside beyond my router, but I assume I would need to open up my security a bit in order to get access to my Mac as the storage device.

If such an approach is possible/reasonable, how would I go about doing it? I still think a daily backup to microSD card plus synching to desktop when at home is preferable.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    Suppose I ask the question this way -- is there a reasonable way to automatically or continuously backup (and subsequently restore) a Pre via the internet, with the backup device being my own desktop computer? That is, can I use the "cloud" for backup without relying on any sort of long-term storage on anyone else's server, just maybe an internet buffer? That way I should not need to pay for or rely upon the security of a service I don't control, other than the internet hubs. For now, I have poked very few holes in my home firewall, and I don't think the machines on my LAN are very visible outside beyond my router, but I assume I would need to open up my security a bit in order to get access to my Mac as the storage device.

If such an approach is possible/reasonable, how would I go about doing it? I still think a daily backup to microSD card plus synching to desktop when at home is preferable.
    If Palm creates something like Microsoft's mesh or maybe use Mesh itself... then it is possible you could do this...

To be honest, I don't even use a daily backup to my storage card anymore.... I haven't in a very long time... with windows 6.1 I only had to hard reset once... then it was because I was farting around with some cables and wanted to see if they would work... lol... they did'nt and killed my q9c...

Anyway, when I did that, I only had to setup exchange (contacts, emails, etc) and mesh (files, etc).... I also had to reinstall a few other programs I have but that was painless (they are kept in a mesh folder lol)... all done over the air...

Obviously, a backup would have been about 15 to 20 minutes faster... but it is still faster now than back in the day.... hopefully the pre is stable enough that a backup is not necessarily needed... or at least has a method or two available to make it as painless as possible....

For the record I'm for having an external sd/micro sd or whatever card... I think palm was foolish not to put one on the device....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001