View Poll Results: How Important is NO Micro SDHC expansion to you?

Voters
361. You may not vote on this poll
  • I will wait until Palm releases the next WebOS PRE type of device with on board memory expansion.

78 21.61%
  • I will buy a Non-Palm device with on board memory expansion.

23 6.37%
  • I am buying a PRE! 8 GB of on board memory is sufficient for me.

233 64.54%
  • I am buyiny a PRE! I don't care about large on board memory or expansion

27 7.48%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
    I think it makes sense..sort of. Clearly, you don't want to devote to multimedia and take apple head on with an initial product. And on the BB end they got a Treo Pro already and the business market is pretty hard to enter with a new OS.

Still if that's their market..both sides are used to syncing with desktop. Provide it as an option and find a way to get video as well from amazon in an easy to use app. 8gb is ok while on sprint but not ok after.

Docs to go is going to the iphone and that's pretty big. Pre can't really brag on having it too then. But i think the multitasking and new things help on the business end.

I think the Pre will do well and being on sprint really helps as it will start out with flagship status.
    I'm sure a good share of first smartphone users will pick the Pre. They have to in order to make the "fat middle" grow. It will be interesting to see if there is indeed a fat middle as time goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think it makes sense..sort of. Clearly, you don't want to devote to multimedia and take apple head on with an initial product. And on the BB end they got a Treo Pro already and the business market is pretty hard to enter with a new OS.

Still if that's their market..both sides are used to syncing with desktop. Provide it as an option and find a way to get video as well from amazon in an easy to use app. 8gb is ok while on sprint but not ok after.

Docs to go is going to the iphone and that's pretty big. Pre can't really brag on having it too then. But i think the multitasking and new things help on the business end.

I think the Pre will do well and being on sprint really helps as it will start out with flagship status.
    I think that a huge boost for the Pre will be that it is NOT an iPhone. I know this is silly, but I don't want an iPhone because EVERYONE has one. I know it is a wonderful device, the browsing capabilities and the apps amaze me every time I look at the phone.

But me and a lot of other people don't want the iPhone because everyone and their mother already has one. This of course is not the only reason. I really have to do a lot of heavy e mailing because of my part time job, and my fat thumbs and that virtual keyboard just don't seem to get a long so well. 8gb of on board memory is fine with me. The only thing that kills my about my Blackberry is the browser. I really need a fully functional browser on my phone, which makes the iPhone look really pretty, but the Pre's browser looks to be just as capable or more so than Safari. So this is the Jesus phone for me.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    128kbps is fine for playing in the car, but if you're going to use a device to play music on a half-way decent system, 256 is the way to go. Add videos and some of your favorite 5+ MP pictures and that 8gb gets filled up in a hurry.

Phones shouldn't be about compromise any more - that's so 2006!
    I would agree...but the "fat middle of the market" I don't think is composed largely of audiophiles.

And like I have stated previously, I would jump on adding a 32gb card to my 755p if it were available for less than $30, and I would find stuff to fill it with. And I am pretty certain that Palm would sell more 16gb Pres than 8gb Pres over the long term. But I dont know if that would provide them with more profits, and that's all they should care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredc1 View Post
    I think the dumbphone users are exactly where the "fat middle of the market" resides that Palm wants to buy the Pre. I don't think the target "fat middle" is currently buying Blackberries, Iphones, or previous Palm devices.
    And the reason they're not buying them (and the reason your theory makes no sense) is the "fat middle of the market" wants a phone for $25-99 dollars (or free). Pre can't compete in that price range and make any money for Palm or Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And the reason they're not buying them (and the reason your theory makes no sense) is the "fat middle of the market" wants a phone for $25-99 dollars (or free). Pre can't compete in that price range and make any money for Palm or Sprint.
    The fat middle loves to follow the herd and have the latest shiny new thing. While they love a good deal they also like to keep up with the Jones' so they will buy the Pre even though they don't understand it just because they saw the latest new star in Hollywood using one...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

I would probably never use more then 8 GB on any phone, but I feel the need for that option and would wait.
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    The fat middle loves to follow the herd and have the latest shiny new thing. While they love a good deal they also like to keep up with the Jones' so they will buy the Pre even though they don't understand it just because they saw the latest new star in Hollywood using one...
    I disagree.

Everything you just said is mostly only true if the product has an apple branding.

Besides, let's face it, no matter how cool the Pre is, it's just not thin, pretty, and shiny enough for the "fat middle".
    I think the dumbphone users are exactly where the "fat middle of the market" resides that Palm wants to buy the Pre. I don't think the target "fat middle" is currently buying Blackberries, Iphones, or previous Palm devices. Maybe that is one of the reasons they might have eschewed SDHC cards..as too intimidating to non-geeks. It's the perfect out-of-box experience, no cables, no extra cards, just your phone, the cloud and you. While we might see some of its technical limitations as severe and whine about it's shortcomings, the target audience doesn't have nearly the same perspective and just sees what Palm wants them to see. From their perspective it looks like a winner.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Middle means imbetween right? So what are dumbphone users inbetween? The smartphones on one side and a tin can and string on the other side? No, dumbphone users might rule the overall cellphone market but they don't exist in the smartphone market. So how can they be a fat middle that palm talks about?

So what the heck, i one google later and here it is quoted before CES:

While Palm has protected its plans with Apple-like secrecy, Rubinstein and others say the goal is to create products that bridge the gap between Research In Motion's (RIMM) BlackBerry devices, oriented to work and e-mail, and Apple's iPhone, oriented to fun. "People's work and personal lives are melding," Colligan says, adding that Palm is aiming for the "fat middle of the market."

Here's a bit more:

Executives won't be specific about Nova, though Palm is not looking to go toe-to-toe with the iPhone or BlackBerry. The general idea is to create a platform that's flexible enough to support a wide range of customer desires. No single product can satisfy all the unmet needs of today's digital consumers, McNamee says. Today, people carry iPods, cell phones, and Amazon.com (AMZN) Kindle e-book readers. But there's no mobile-phone software that can handle complex games like those played on a Nintendo DS handheld, or let a working parent manage both corporate e-mail and family calendars.

The iPhone comes closest to handling such divergent needs, but is so packed with features that its battery power is quickly depleted, McNamee says. "Because of power limitations, nobody dominates the whole market," he says. He believes over time, the iPhone will be the device of choice for the 10% of cell-phone users interested primarily in mobile movies and other professionally produced fare. BlackBerry will remain the go-to phone for people interested in basic communications and so RIM will command greater share in the long term. What about Palm? During an interview at Elevation's offices, McNamee declines to say how much share he expects Palm to get, when Anderson pipes in, "Two percent would be just fine." With more than a billion cell phones sold each year, every point counts.

Sources say Rubinstein's team also hopes to create phones that make smarter use of data about you. For example, your smartphone could send you an e-mail the day before your next business trip, advising you on the weather conditions in your destination city.

Palm Pins Its Hopes on Nova - BusinessWeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But just as it is possible to add more memory via SD card, it is also possible to access additional storage via cloud storage solutions or via your desktop or via your laptop. And while the Pre will never have more than 8GB at once, I can change the 8GB to be whatever I want to be at any time. I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge the expandability of other phones because it is reality, and I would be foolish to deny it. You don't seem as open to acknowledging the expandability of the Pre.
    Let me ask something. So if you have 20GB of music stored in the cloud or on your computer, you can play it through the Pre as long as you can access it? Will the Pre read all 20GB?

If you're talking about just swapping files, that's not expandability. But if you mean the Pre will read the contents of another drive and play them just like a computer with an external drive attached to it(or phone with a memory card) would, then you have something.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/28/2009 at 02:15 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    c'mon diva. why keep entertaining him. You know it's going to end in an endless loop of nowhere.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    A micro card just seems so much easier.
    Just call me Berd.
    I made that point before but it was quickly ignored. It's the people with the media dumphones that are ready to progress to something a little better. People carrying around their dumbphone and flash media player all the time.

I doubt forgoing media cards was a user experience level issue. Most of the deal threads I've been on regarding purchasing cards have posts asking about what to get, what they need and will it fit. So quite a few of the technological declined will at least ask questions. They do know they need something and have an idea. So they probably knew that going into the purchase.

I think the "fat middle" will end up being a stupid label given to their intended market along the lines of Jeffrey Lurie referring to the Philadelphia Eagles as the "gold standard" others measured their organizations against. Clearly there is no real definition of the "fat middle" and everyone's opinion on it here really varies as to who they are and what they really want. Do people underestimate their technological expertise or overestimate it? If 8gb cards are cheap and in all the fat middle's dumphones, maybe they were looking forward to upgrading to 16gb when the cards got cheaper, but they see the Pre and think it's cool and would fit their needs and now wonder why it only has 8gb and costs $200 more than their dumphone with an 8gb card with no way of popping in a 16gb one when the prices dropped. Who knows. Surely not us.
    I think the dumbphone users are exactly where the "fat middle of the market" resides that Palm wants to buy the Pre. I don't think the target "fat middle" is currently buying Blackberries, Iphones, or previous Palm devices. Maybe that is one of the reasons they might have eschewed SDHC cards..as too intimidating to non-geeks. It's the perfect out-of-box experience, no cables, no extra cards, just your phone, the cloud and you. While we might see some of its technical limitations as severe and whine about it's shortcomings, the target audience doesn't have nearly the same perspective and just sees what Palm wants them to see. From their perspective it looks like a winner.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    They could include a cheap 2gb card and charge $30 less or something along those lines. You'd have included memory and if people need more they could just buy the card of their choice. So you'd have the "actual" storage covered as well as the possibility of the "potential" storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    A micro card just seems so much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    c'mon diva. why keep entertaining him. You know it's going to end in an endless loop of nowhere.
    If he can confirm that the Pre will read and play files from any drive it can access, no matter how much capacity the other drive has, I'll concede that the Pre has expandability of sorts. But I still really wish it didn't have to access external drives to get more storage. I agree with Bern that a storage card inserted in the phone is way easier.

However if he means he can "expand" the Pre by swapping files and/or that even if you do access an external drive, files must be downloaded directly to the Pre to play, meaning Pre will still read only 8GB; that isn't true or even half-way expandability. I'm just not completely sure what he meant when he said "it is also possible to access additional storage via cloud storage solutions or via your desktop or via your laptop. And while the Pre will never have more than 8GB at once, I can change the 8GB to be whatever I want to be at any time."
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree with Bern
    And I agree with Phode Niva

That's atleast 4 of us now.
    Just call me Berd.
    Sorry, I meant BERD, LOL!

Sorry, I meant BERD, LOL!
    No offense taken, Toolkit teased me saying our next mod should be called erny.
    Just call me Berd.
    All 250+ arguments aside.

I can't be convinced for myself.

How long does it take you guys to transfer 1 gb of info over the internet?

Maybe this has already been discussed.
    Just call me Berd.
    based off of all his other comments, this is exactly what he meant. You could always set up a NAS Drive at home and use it to remotely access files, but that would still mean you'd be downloading them onto the Pre instead of streaming them. Though there could always be 3rd party programs that would allow streaming such as slingbox and such. But he's pretty much saying you can go home, plug in and swap out whatever you want, so it's expandable.
    However if he means he can "expand" the Pre by swapping files and/or that even if you do access an external drive, files must be downloaded directly to the Pre to play, meaning Pre will still read only 8GB; that isn't true or even half-way expandability. I'm just not completely sure what he meant when he said "it is also possible to access additional storage via cloud storage solutions or via your desktop or via your laptop. And while the Pre will never have more than 8GB at once, I can change the 8GB to be whatever I want to be at any time."