1.    #1  
    In the TreoCast, Mike mentioned Apple's "walled garden," referring to their need to control the heck out of their product environments* (sometimes by disallowing applications available for their platforms).

Part of the implication was that Palm was not of this mindset, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone else remember something in the Keynote about how the Palm operating system used to fall prey to unstable applications and then crash, freeze, reboot, etc. I believe he went on to say that they (ie Palm) want to make sure that this new device/o.s. continues to run so smoothly... and I think the person finished the thought by saying something about their App store.

Anyway, I'm going to listen to the address, again, but I hope someone else remembers this, in case I can't find the right point to quote the statement I'm talking about.

I hope Palm doesn't plan on subscribing to Apple's "walled garden" method of keeping their devices stable. I definitely want stability, so I guess the concept itself isn't such a bad thing, but I guess I'm worried about its implementation.

Thoughts? Corrections to any of the above?

* - best term I could come up with
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2.    #2  
    PLEASE IGNORE THIS DUPLICATE THREAD. THANKS.

In the TreoCast, Mike mentioned Apple's "walled garden," referring to their need to control the heck out of their product environments* (sometimes by disallowing applications available for their platforms).

Part of the implication was that Palm was not of this mindset, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone else remember something in the Keynote about how the Palm operating system used to fall prey to unstable applications and then crash, freeze, reboot, etc. I believe he went on to say that they (ie Palm) want to make sure that this new device/o.s. continues to run so smoothly... and I think the person finished the thought by saying something about their App store.

Anyway, I'm going to listen to the address, again, but I hope someone else remembers this, in case I can't find the right point to quote the statement I'm talking about.

I hope Palm doesn't plan on subscribing to Apple's "walled garden" method of keeping their devices stable. I definitely want stability, so I guess the concept itself isn't such a bad thing, but I guess I'm worried about its implementation.

Thoughts? Corrections to any of the above?

* - best term I could come up with
    Last edited by west3man; 01/10/2009 at 06:48 PM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    From what I having been hearing this will be a two-prong approach. You can only use signed Apps from the Palm store. I understand that this is similar to thee iphone. Except that Palm promises not to filter for content, just stability. Secondly Apps will be isolated from the Linux core OS. Which in it's self is probably more stable to begin with. This mean that if a task has a problem it will be dropped while everything goes on as if nothing happened. The down side of this is that some types of Apps will not be possible because they can not access the underlying OS or hardware. This could also mean that you have to use their App for say something using GPS because no one else will be allowed to directly access the GPS hardware.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...s-new-sdk.html

On Thursday, we were contacted by a developer who has used and is familiar with the Mojo SDK; he had a lot of good things to say about how Palm is handing the extremely nascent developer community and his hopes for the future of the platform. The developer told us that he has explored mobile development on Apple's iPhone SDK and found much of the company's position towards their community to be "developer-hostile"—an obvious reference to their insistence on enforcing a pointless NDA well past its expiration date and their strong hand in regulating what can and cannot be developed for its platform.

In stark contrast, it seems that this developer's experience with the Mojo SDK has been a joy. The platform will allow developers to access most of the phone's capabilities, including calendaring, contacts, music and video playback. It would appear that Palm is very open to allowing developers nearly full access to the device's capabilities...
    This is good news, it also address another concern of mine. Will our data be available in areas with no service.
    Take a look at this thread I posted:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175352

Near the end of the thread... it looks like there may actually be a way to get apps on the device without going through the App Catalog. (And without jailbreaking, either.)