Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    If you are in a area where you have no internet connection, do you still have access to contacts, calendar etc.?
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    If you are in a area where you have no internet connection, do you still have access to contacts, calendar etc.?
    no the phone is completely blank.

No, the contacts and stuff will be stored locally and updated as and when you have connection. Nobody is going to provide a phone that requires on 100% connection...
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Whew!!!! I was worried about that. Now will it sync with outlook?
    yes.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m12x13adass View Post
    yes.
    Well if you have exchange...
    I figured calendar and contacts would store locally... but I do wonder about whatever "WebOS" applications come down the pike, though. You'd hate to not be able to use something just because of a less than perfect web connection. I'm out of great cell range during large parts of my day.

Totally different subject - but speaking of being out of cell coverage... when that happens, the battery drains horribly on my 755p. If this thing is constantly trying to get info for a gazillion apps, I'm hoping they've improved battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by enchilada88 View Post
    I figured calendar and contacts would store locally... but I do wonder about whatever "WebOS" applications come down the pike, though. You'd hate to not be able to use something just because of a less than perfect web connection. I'm out of great cell range during large parts of my day.

Totally different subject - but speaking of being out of cell coverage... when that happens, the battery drains horribly on my 755p. If this thing is constantly trying to get info for a gazillion apps, I'm hoping they've improved battery life.
    I think only the 4 main appls (mail, IM, calendar & contacts) are enabled to work over the web. Not all new appls will need to be always connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I think only the 4 main appls (mail, IM, calendar & contacts) are enabled to work over the web. Not all new appls will need to be always connected.
    The apps are resident on the device. You only need to be connected to download and install the app (and there may be other ways).

Now then, if the app is something that needs to be connected, then you'll need to be connected. It's hard to imagine an IM app working without a data connection. But Bejeweled (you just know there will be a version) should run just fine without a connection.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    But Bejeweled (you just know there will be a version) should run just fine without a connection.
    Oh THANK GOD!!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    CGK stated that I would need to buy Exchange in order to sync with Outlook, isn't that provided in the Cloud? I really don't understand how this works. I have Apple and Mobile Me and it works on the Cloud and all I had to buy was Mobile Me, does it work like that?
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    CGK stated that I would need to buy Exchange in order to sync with Outlook, isn't that provided in the Cloud? I really don't understand how this works. I have Apple and Mobile Me and it works on the Cloud and all I had to buy was Mobile Me, does it work like that?
    em.. er.. too much rum.. let's see how I do...

OK - broadly if you want to use outline (according to the specs we've seen) you will have to have exchange - this means that you will have to pay *someone* for that service - in the same way that you do for Mobile Me

How will that work - Exchange will sent information to

* an outlook desktop client (if you have one and want to use one - most companies throw in the client when you pay for exchange)

* Outlook web access - when you pay for exchange, you get access to the web version of outlook .

Phone - so the pre or any exchange capable phone.

All of those are just ways to get information off the exchange server, so when you open outlook on the desktop, it checks the server for update (or if you live it open does it as soon as something happens).

So here's an example, if you sent an email off your desktop, that email will (virtually) instantly be available in the sent folder of the outlook web client and also on your phone. If you make an appointment in the webclient -blam, there it is on your phone.
    David - "Exchange" is something that many people have at their businesses. For instance - my work's email server has "Microsoft Exchange" installed - and it allows your email/calendar/contacts to sync over the air automatically with your phone. If you make a change to your calendar on your work desktop, next time you look at your phone - the change is reflected.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well if you have exchange...
    Yeah, like someone else said; Outlook ≠ Exchange.

They can work independently of each other and one is not required for the other. You can sync your Outlook contacts, calenders, etc. without Exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    Yeah, like someone else said; Outlook ≠ Exchange.

They can work independently of each other and one is not required for the other. You can sync your Outlook contacts, calenders, etc. without Exchange.
    Really? How? I hope you're right.

I use Outlook for my calendar, email (through IMAP), and tasks. I don't have Exchange, so how do I get the data that I enter in Outlook over to the Pre? The Pre doesn't appear to have a way to "hotsync" like we're used to.
    Is there a pay, online Exchange service if you don't have one at work? Something like Fusemail or Fastmail for IMAP? I did a bit of searching and didnt find one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Is there a pay, online Exchange service if you don't have one at work? Something like Fusemail or Fastmail for IMAP? I did a bit of searching and didnt find one.
    http://services.mail2web.com/FreeServices/m2wLive/

You get a gigabyte free. However, if you need to connect to Outlook on the PC, I think you need to upgrade to a $5 a month plan.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 01/10/2009 at 09:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    http://services.mail2web.com/FreeServices/m2wLive/

You get a gigabyte free. However, if you need to connect to Outlook on the PC, I think you need to upgrade to a $5 a month plan.

And no SMTP support, so you'd still have to send your mail through your other account.
    I hate these services. I tried that one you listed, and they don't let you sync your older calendar entries. Maybe I want my old calendar entries backed up?

Also, you're at the mercy of a smaller company that has your data and could go out of business in the night and leave you screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    I hate these services. I tried that one you listed, and they don't let you sync your older calendar entries. Maybe I want my old calendar entries backed up?

Also, you're at the mercy of a smaller company that has your data and could go out of business in the night and leave you screwed.
    Okay, but someone asked if there was something for those who don't have Exchange with their company, and mail2web is supposedly one of the better ones. I've never used it myself though.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    OK so as a private citizen and do not work for a corp. with Exchange, you would have to find a outside source to route you to a Exchange server. So in a since, Mobile Me is the outside source and the Exchange server for Apple, is that right. Now would this phone be useful for a common person that does not work for a Corp with Exchange? Could they still sync via cord with Outlook? Is the cloud still useful without Exchange? The masses do not have Exchange.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    If we all must have Exchange to get our contacts and calendar, then for the common person, the phone is not going to fly. It will be just for business and not the masses. With Mobile Me, all you do is sign up and pay $100 yearly and you have complete access to mail, contacts, calendar, photos etc. This sort of service will be needed to make the Pre fly for the masses. Maybe we are all missing something. I dont think that Palm would leave the masses hanging without some sort of easily attainable way to use the Cloud.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast