Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Maybe you would use the Sprint servers as your Exchange client for a yearly or monthly service. This has got to have a solution for the public without Exchange. That is how Apple does it, that is what Mobile Me is all about, using Apples servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlw View Post
    OK so as a private citizen and do not work for a corp. with Exchange, you would have to find a outside source to route you to a Exchange server. So in a since, Mobile Me is the outside source and the Exchange server for Apple, is that right. Now would this phone be useful for a common person that does not work for a Corp with Exchange? Could they still sync via cord with Outlook? Is the cloud still useful without Exchange? The masses do not have Exchange.
    As I said, the I one listed is free, or you can pay a monthly fee for another server.

But also, let's keep in mind that the device isn't out yet. Let's wait until the final product is released before we start saying what you'll NEED in order to sync things.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Jhoff, you are right. I just think that Palm must have a simple answer to this question. The mass public will need a simple easy to make this Cloud thing work. I have faith in Palm to make this clear in the coming days.
    Oh and another thing. It's probably a safer bet to save the exchange server for a corporate connection if there's any chance you'll change companies at any point in the future. I mean, if you've got your personal account using exchange, then you can't get your corporate email using exchange (unless maybe the Pre supports two exchange servers at once? Who knows). Then you'd have to switch your personal account to a different name or something using imap, and I always find it a hassle changing email accounts.
    Nuevasync offers exchange-like push synchronization for WM devices and the iPhone and iPod touch for google calendaring and contacts. It's still in beta, does not similarly sync email (though they hope to add IMAP support), but is more effective and elegant a solution for my Touch than goosync is for my 755P.

https://www.nuevasync.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    As I said, the I one listed is free, or you can pay a monthly fee for another server.

But also, let's keep in mind that the device isn't out yet. Let's wait until the final product is released before we start saying what you'll NEED in order to sync things.
    Except for many of us will likely be the first to pre-order the Pre, but if we can't verify how it is going to work with the heart of the whole experience (Calendar, tasks, address book, email,) then why the hell would we give our money to Palm?, why would we buy it?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    OK so I went to the Palm website and in the fine print it says to get push email etc. you will have to have Exchange. Now doesn't Gmail and the other similar services have push and contact and calendar sync? Maybe that is what Palm is talking about, being able to use these services. I don't know and don't really understand how it will all work. Can some Palm guru weigh in here and help us out?
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Except for many of us will likely be the first to pre-order the Pre, but if we can't verify how it is going to work with the heart of the whole experience (Calendar, tasks, address book, email,) then why the hell would we give our money to Palm?, why would we buy it?
    You'll have an answer before the any orders or preorders are taken, I'm sure. Since there's no reason to keep anything hidden now that the device has been announced, I'd bet as soon as FCC certification happens that the user manual and all other documents will show up on the FCC site.
    exactly, and for those of us who are shopping for a phone right now, we may not just "want to wait and see." if Palms answer is no answer over the next few weeks then i'll be moving on to an HTC wm device (after using treos since the 300).
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    exactly, and for those of us who are shopping for a phone right now, we may not just "want to wait and see." if Palms answer is no answer over the next few weeks then i'll be moving on to an HTC wm device (after using treos since the 300).
    I can understand this a little more, but unless your current phone is entirely dead, whats the harm in waiting another month or two?
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tli415 View Post
    Yeah, like someone else said; Outlook ≠ Exchange.

They can work independently of each other and one is not required for the other. You can sync your Outlook contacts, calenders, etc. without Exchange.
    No you don't need one or the other - but you need exchange if you want to use outlook in conjunction with the pre - it's explicit in the product spec.

Available for Exchange ActiveSync only. Requires Microsoft Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Requires data services at additional cost.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I think Palm plans a service called "My Palm" that can provide the Exchange service for Pre users. If you look at the mail options that are shown on the Pre screen during the CES demonstration, My Palm is one of the mail services that show on the phone. I would expect it to be used in lieu of the old Palm Desktop.
    I don't need exchange or outlook, necessarily, but I need a way to access my contacts and calendar on a laptop when no connectivity exists. Telling me I can access my contacts on Google, or using Outlook Web Access just isn't good enough. There are large areas of the country where no connectivity exists.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I can understand this a little more, but unless your current phone is entirely dead, whats the harm in waiting another month or two?
    Why on earth would Palm, who just took out a $100 Mil loan from an investor, want to encourage people to wait and see for a month or two before buying the Pre?

They've created a great device, and have done a great job to promote it and show its features, other than this very important key issue. Excuse us for being excited to get it, while still making sure it is going to do what we need.
    Why on earth would Palm, who just took out a $100 Mil loan from an investor, want to encourage people to wait and see for a month or two before buying the Pre?

They've created a great device, and have done a great job to promote it and show its features, other than this very important key issue. Excuse us for being excited to get it, while still making sure it is going to do what we need.
    I am not sure, but that's what they are doing. First of all the device is only going to be available on Sprint so anyone under contract or attached to another carrier is unlikely to buy one for a while. Secondly, the phone is a radical departure from existing smart phones and 3rd Party developer support is an unknown right now, that is going to make other people cautious.

They've also very clearly said that it's not actually finished yet. And I'm not even necessarily saying it'll be the time of release before you find out these answers anyway. As time goes on, we'll learn more and more about the device, and I still say that before actual launch we'll be fully aware of all of these answers.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12