Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts View Post
    wow. this is major. I was absolutely sure I was getting it. but I own a small business and use my centro with outlook (nonexchane - doesn't make sense for size) and I am not going to switch my IT setup for a phone. I will not use google PIMs either because if my internet goes down I can't access my data - emails, contacts, calendar. - no way do I risk that. they are essentially cutting the prosumer/small business customer out of this phone. they expect us to stay with WM I guess . . . if that's the case ill be moving to an HTC winmob device like I was about to do before the Pre announcement. that is sooo dissappointing and I think a huge mistake for palm.

because this is so outrageously stupid, I want to make sure I understand it. so are u saying that I can't sync my PIM info from outlook to the pre unless I have exchange access?
    this is a huge deal for me as well -- big enough that I was probably the first to really focus on it here -- big enough that I would likely not migrate to the Pre if its not addressed apropriately.

On the surface it seems suicidal for them to orphan their legacy of PIM users -- when the engineering cost of embracing them is so infinitesially small.

But just because something is dumb and suicidal doesn't mean a company like Palm won't do it.

What would they have to ?? write a Desktop PIM that they model after the old one, then a conduit sync link to it ?? It seems trivial compared to the other stuff they've already done -- and this is NOT a 3rd party program -- this was an application that was a part of Palm's DNA from its inception.

There must be 100's of thousands, if not a million legacy Desktop users -- natural Pre migraters -- migraters who'd be potentially lost if they only made a modest effort.

For what its worth, PC Mag had an article quoting Palm that gives me some hope that my fears may be over exercised:

"Q: How do I get my personal info into the Pre?

A: While the Pre won't come with desktop software, there will be solutions for people to get their Palm Desktop or Outlook info, and info from earlier Treo and Centro models, into the Pre."

I'm hoping this means alot more than this hokey "cloud sync" idea.
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/11/2009 at 09:30 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

What would they have to ?? write a Desktop PIM that they model after the old one, then a conduit sync link to it ?? It seems trivial compared to the other stuff they've already done -- and this is NOT a 3rd party program -- this was an application that was a part of Palm's DNA from its inception.

Their must be 100's of thousands, if not a million legacy Desktop users -- natural Pre migraters -- migraters who'd be potentially lost if they only made a modest effort.

For what its worth, PC Mag had an article quoting Palm that gives me some hope that my fears may be over exercised:

"Q: How do I get my personal info into the Pre?

A: While the Pre won't come with desktop software, there will be solutions for people to get their Palm Desktop or Outlook info, and info from earlier Treo and Centro models, into the Pre."

I'm hoping this means alot more than this hokey "cloud sync" idea.
    I seriously doubt it - the whole point of this phone is that no computer is required. Any solution for getting the information out will be out of the palm desktop and into the cloud, not directly to the device. Palm are not going to design a desktop sync app because it say that the device has failed as a concept.

This is a line in the sand, palm OS users are just another category of users of other phone OSes who will expected to start from scratch like the rest of us.
    So your saying that in an effort to cash in on this alleged block of Palm customers who have and will buy smartphones, only to later cancel their data plans, Palm will mandate a subscription based tool that moves your data, or access to it, between your desktop(s) and the handheld? I dont accept that reasoning at all. Do you have a basis in fact for your assertion that any significant portion of Palm smartphone users buy the product then cancel the data plan???

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think the reason for the break is revenue - People wanted a device that they could turn off the data services, sync from the desktop and use all their old apps on. From a commercial point of view, that's a disaster - there is no money in that.

Palm has a particular problem in that many of their users are so embedded that they purchased all the apps they wanted four or five years ago - many are still using phones that purchased 4 or 5 years ago - that would be a nightmare for the company - a series of users who picked up the phone, turned off the data and never generated any revenue for the carriers or developers.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    IMHO, Palm is not suggesting that your calendar and contacts data will be in the cloud. Instead, they are suggesting that such data will be in your Pre, which is the thing you ALWAYS have with you, no matter where you are, no matter what your cellular connection status is at the moment, whether you are at an airplane, etc.

Then there will be solutions that allow you to manipulate that data with any PC or other large screen device you happen to have at hand.
    I seriously doubt it - the whole point of this phone is that no computer is required.
    Unless the Pre has a magic function that expands the keyboard and display by a a factor of 10, or unless I'm actually a little tiny alien, I require a computer. When you're out of the office and the client wants to schedule an appointment and you pull out your smartphone. you look cool. When you meet the client in your office at your desk and pull your phone out of your pocket to check your scheduled, well thats kinda silly. Yeah, a computer is required.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Unless the Pre has a magic function that expands the keyboard and display by a a factor of 10, or unless your actually a little tiny alien, I require a computer. When your out of the office and the client wants to schedule an appointment and you pull out your smartphone. you look cool. When youy meet the client in your office behind your desk and pull your phone out of your pocket to check your scheduled, well thats kinda silly. Yeah, a computer is required.
    Then you log onto the web-client of whatever provider you use for scheduling and emailing.

When I say "no computer required" I mean for desktop sync.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Or a large screen access to the data in the phone.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=qU6...s_maxy_is=2008
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post
    Or a large screen access to the data in the phone.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=qU6...s_maxy_is=2008

Why do you keep linking to that? what's it suppose to be?
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    It's browser access to the data and apps of your phone. Filed less than a year ago.
    The ability to have my contacts on a laptop, with no connectivity, is a must-have. Believe it or not, the entire world is not yet connected. There are places you can't take a cell phone, and cell phones can get lost, stolen or damaged.

If something happens to my Pre, and I don't have connectivity where I am, how am I supposed to check my contacts and calendar? The cloud is not yet available everywhere, all the time.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The ability to have my contacts on a laptop, with no connectivity, is a must-have. Believe it or not, the entire world is not yet connected. There are places you can't take a cell phone, and cell phones can get lost, stolen or damaged.

If something happens to my Pre, and I don't have connectivity where I am, how am I supposed to check my contacts and calendar? The cloud is not yet available everywhere, all the time.

People seem to misunderstand the cloud as "all the data is never held locally" - most cloud servers cache locally or can be used offline, it's just that when they get the chance, the data goes back upto the cloud.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    ah-ha someone mentioned in another thread, there was a "mypalm" app in one of the presentations - I bet that's what the online desktop is called.

And I bet it's going to be at

http://www.mypalm.com
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Gosh - look what SplashID are busy developing...

https://www.splashid.com/splashid
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post

unfortunately at this point we're forced to speculate as what the plan is -- its unfathomable to me that such an obvious and incredibly important questions were not addressed during either the primary presentations or in the follow up intros where questions were asked.

How dazed and idiotic was everyone at CES that they didn't ask this ?? Do any of them use PIM data ?? Its as though everyone at CES left that presentation wearing beer goggles ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

How dazed and idiotic was everyone at CES that they didn't ask this ?? Do any of them use PIM data ??

Pretty much all of the tech journalists are going to be using exchange, mobileme, BES....
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    IMHO, if the answer would be that everything is stored to the cloud, they would have discussed it in the presentation.

But because it was not mentioned, we can assume that when you do something with the phone (add a contact etc.), it modifies data at the phone. Just as it is with most existing phones.

In addition to this, Palm will provide clever access to the data at the phone.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttcoupe View Post

But because it was not mentioned, we can assume that when you do something with the phone (add a contact etc.), it modifies data at the phone. Just as it is with most existing phones.
    Of course it does - who's said any different? Seriously, you don't seem to understand what you are discussing.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Of course it does - who's said any different? Seriously, you don't seem to understand what you are discussing.
    You seem to suggest that adding a contact to Pre always replicates that info to the cloud, possibly to myPalm service, which would be another place to access that info.
    The ONLY reason I find this cloud idea to backfire are privacy issues in a corporate enviroment

Other than that, there will ALYWAYS be work arounds...data will be cached one way or another locally (sign up for a cheap exchange plan)

I personally gone the exchange route and have not synced to my of over a year.

OTA sync is bad ***
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    adding to my guesses and predictions -

Chapura have been mentioned as a launch partner - most people think this they are going to be developing the desktop client or *a* desktop client.. however... for the iphone they offer keytasks which is...

KeyTasks provides the perfect blend of the iPhone experience with Outlook productivity. KeyTasks is installed on the device, not run from the Web, allowing task management even when a data connection is not available.

When a data connection is available KeyTasks can wirelessly synchronize with Chapura’s Web servers. This is commonly referred to as the “cloud.”

When a change is made in Outlook or on the device and synchronized, that change is sent up to the cloud. The iPhone, iPod touch or Outlook Tasks will receive this change when synchronized; keeping information current in multiple places from anywhere.
    Price: KeyTasks is a subscription-based product available for a special introductory offer of $9.95 per year in the iPhone App Store.
    So they already have the infrastructure in place for cloud based computing.

My prediction, they will sell you a subscription based service for those who aren't using exchange and want to connect to outlook (and maybe even Palm desktop?)

Why sell you sync software when they can hit you for a yearly fee?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast