1.    #1  
    I just saw the article on Yahoo about an hour ago on Yahoo about the upcoming Pre. I was jumping for joy. I have been carrying a Palm since my beloved IIIxe so very many years ago. I got the 755P last year after dropping my beloved 650 into my Coca Cola. I spent $349.00.

I am just a simple person, a mom, a wife, bookkeeper for a small business, an adult literacy coordinator for a local community action, and of course a gadget freak. When Verizon unveiled the Storm my dh came running through the house saying he could make me drool. He used the dvr to go back and show it to me. I said well thats all well and good but I can't use all the Palm OS software that I have purchased over the years. I did go look at it as soon as it hit the store though. I was thoroughly disappointed in the appearance of it. I was hoping for something as attractive as my friends Pearl.

I still feel the same I want that high speed attractive phone preferably red (I wish my current one red). I have read the other threads/reviews of the Pre but I haven't read anything to make me want to just completely start over.

In Layman's terms explain why I would want to give up my 755P to start over with another platform that requires that I replace all the software I have purchased.

Thank You!
    Alicia
    Quote Originally Posted by camarodreamer View Post
    I just saw the article on Yahoo about an hour ago on Yahoo about the upcoming Pre. I was jumping for joy. I have been carrying a Palm since my beloved IIIxe so very many years ago. I got the 755P last year after dropping my beloved 650 into my Coca Cola. I spent $349.00.

I am just a simple person, a mom, a wife, bookkeeper for a small business, an adult literacy coordinator for a local community action, and of course a gadget freak. When Verizon unveiled the Storm my dh came running through the house saying he could make me drool. He used the dvr to go back and show it to me. I said well thats all well and good but I can't use all the Palm OS software that I have purchased over the years. I did go look at it as soon as it hit the store though. I was thoroughly disappointed in the appearance of it. I was hoping for something as attractive as my friends Pearl.

I still feel the same I want that high speed attractive phone preferably red (I wish my current one red). I have read the other threads/reviews of the Pre but I haven't read anything to make me want to just completely start over.

In Layman's terms explain why I would want to give up my 755P to start over with another platform that requires that I replace all the software I have purchased.

Thank You!
    Alicia
    Well....lets see
    If the 755P serves you well, I would keep it. No need in spending money you don't need to spend.
    By the time the phone comes out, most companies may have already announced support for the new platform so you may see that your old apps would be available for the new system - or equivalents.
    Understand that for a lot of folks, the platform alone is enough to buy new software.
    But, I can completely understand why one might want to stick with an older device based on a legacy OS.
  3. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Because in theory you will no longer need the apps you currently use, and if you do there would be some sort of backwards compatibility to make sure it works. The plan seems to be similar to how the iPhone has a ton of apps you can just download on a lark. They would theoretically be what you currently already use, should you need them.

The email situation on this is the biggest break for me. If I can have it constantly synced with my servers...all of them...without me having to push "get mail" that's the boon for me.

I think if you have no need for CONSTANT connection and CONSTANT syncronicity you don't really NEED to give up your phone. But the fact that most developers will abandon the PalmOS as it currently sits is a good reason to move beyond your 755. It's become obsolete and like an old computer...soon you won't be able to do as much on it as you once could in the realm of web/network.
    Original post bycamarodreamer:
    I got the 755P last year after dropping my beloved 650 into my Coca Cola. I spent $349.00. . .I said well thats all well and good but I can't use all the Palm OS software that I have purchased over the years.
    If you're happy with what you have, then there is no reason to change. I understand all that beautiful software that you've gotten over the years. I have too and I'm sure we've invested major $$$$. That being said, Palm OS is dying. Tomtom didn't upgrade software or maps for it and other programs are falling by the way side too.

I guess it's the same for people who had to get new PCs and have Vista. Most of them had to buy new software that will work with Vista. The same will be true for this new OS.

If I can get a stand a lone (Tomtom type) GPS, I'll get it. If not, I'll probably wait for the next generation Pre or until I can't find a replacement Palm OS phone.
    It's sex on your hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    and if you do there would be some sort of backwards compatibility to make sure it works.
    No, there won't be. At least, Palm isn't including it. There might possibly be a third-party application for that, but since Styletap and Access both haven't said a word about it, it would be bad for someone to make a decision on needing this or not because of that.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    It's sex on your hand.
    that's it right there! i kinda want to lick it - the pre, not your hand.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
  8.    #8  
    But the points you are making are exactly why I am confused. If you have to start over with programs anway, why this one? Why not the Iphone or the Blackberry? My contract is up in November and I'm trying to figure out why even bother staying with Palm if there are so many unknowns. I personally think the sex in my hand idea would apply to the red blackberry!

I hope this makes sense!
    Alicia
    If you have to start over with programs anway, why this one? Why not the Iphone or the Blackberry? My contract is up in November and I'm trying to figure out why even bother staying with Palm if there are so many unknowns.
    First of all, by the time November rolls around, the Pre should be on the market already so there won't be so many unknowns.

But secondly, the point you make is for you to decide. Palm isn't relying on their old software to keep people stuck with their devices, but instead believes that they have features which make them superior to the competition, and I personally so far agree. If things like Synergy, the cards style of multitasking, and some of the other stuff that they've talked about so far doesn't appeal to you, then definitely you should consider some of the other options.
    But the points you are making are exactly why I am confused. If you have to start over with programs anway, why this one? Why not the Iphone or the Blackberry? My contract is up in November and I'm trying to figure out why even bother staying with Palm if there are so many unknowns.
    The reason for staying with Palm is because the new programs on the Pre will incorporate all the great features and ease of use that you love in your 755p.
    Take the SMS software - no other phone is as good as the Treo line for that, but the Pre looks to have kept the exact same usability and added loads more to it!

You have to remember that the Pre software will be written by many of the same team that worked on the old PalmOS software so they know the benefits and the things people like or are used to. Plus they have said there will be easy ways to get your old PIM data onto the new phone, which would be impossible on any other brand.

I think you'll find most software you have for PalmOS will be quickly updated for the Pre.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    The email situation on this is the biggest break for me. If I can have it constantly synced with my servers...all of them...without me having to push "get mail" that's the boon for me.
    I can already do this on my PalmOS Centro. It's unclear if the Pre will be alble to.
    Choosing a smartphone is alot like choosing dinner, instead of pasta versus eggrolls your choosing OS versus form factor. In essense there is absolutely nothing wrong with your 755p if it suits your needs. Is your phone more of an organizer or do you have aspirations of a laptop that fits in your pocket? This is what apple, htc, and now palm are trying to build into their latest models. High speed realistic webbrowsing, and a bevy of other features meant to make the average gadget geek drool. If you are going to sign another 24 months of your money away do it because the Pre has something your current 755p lacks, and having it will make your day-2-day easier.
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
    Did you ask the same questions when you initially bought a Palm or a Treo? How many years has it been? With the advances in phones, it's about time to start asking that question again, "why Palm?"

They're hoping the Pre and their new webOS is the answer why over the alternatives. So you need to do some research. The fact that you're here shows a little more oomph than the average consumer, so you're obviously going to do your homework over the next so many months.

You'll have to take a look at all the programs you have now and see which ones the Pre handles natively. Then look at the other programs and see if those developers created new ones for the Pre. With the ease of writing programs for the Pre, if the program was worthwhile, I can't imagine why they wouldn't write a new one. Then you might have to pay for an upgrade. But wouldn't you expect to at this point? Not all POS software gave you free upgrades. I use Agendus and would have to pay every time they made a major release as oppose to upgrades within a version. And with the ease programs can be written for this OS, it stands to reason there will be many jumping on board to write programs for it.

As many have said, the POS is antiquated and very limited. And to try and create an OS of the future with legacy support and all the hassles that go along with it just doesn't make sense. When Canon abandoned it's old FD lens mount for the EOS EF mount, I'm sure many were up in arms, but they're still around. Many switched to Nikon. Many rolled with it and updated. And I'm sure many that left came back. And there was a much larger investment in new gear there than there is here.

But the points you are making are exactly why I am confused. If you have to start over with programs anway, why this one? Why not the Iphone or the Blackberry? My contract is up in November and I'm trying to figure out why even bother staying with Palm if there are so many unknowns. I personally think the sex in my hand idea would apply to the red blackberry!

I hope this makes sense!
    Alicia
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Although this is speculative, given the ease with which apps can be written for webOS (Javascript/CSS/XML), we should (might?) see an explosion of apps unlike anything we have ever seen with PalmOS. Let's face it, developing software for PalmOS was too much trouble for most people. Because Palm claims webOS is as easy as "normal" web development, we should see many new developers, and hopefully, many new apps.
    I have the same issue as with the original poster. I really like my Treo 755p, which I've had since it first came out. I just wish the 755p would have a better web browser and screen similar to the iPhone and other new smart phones. The 755p web browser is really pretty lame compared to various other new smart phones. I wish there would be an updated Palm OS based PDA with an improved web browser. I'm not interested at this point in starting from scratch with a new operating system, and not being able to use all my many software accumulated over the years.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I had a treo 650 that I loved, it died and they upgraded me with the Centro, I think the centro is a great PDA/Phone, but the darn keyboard is way to small for me, I tried to get used to it but could not, since I accepted it on the insurance I could not get them to take it back and give me the 755 so just as soon as the HTC Touch came down, that and the fact that Sprint gave me a $75.00 credit to sign on for another 2 years making the Touch -$25.00 to me I took it, and I do not miss any of the apps that I used on the palm platform, I do miss a hard keyboard (That I could type on) tho.
    So I am not sure you would miss those apps unless there are some you just cant do business without!
    Terry