Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Not at all. I've explained this before, but I hate SD cards on a phone. I like my memory built in.

I think I'd use a stylus, but it's not important to me. It's not a must-have feature.
    huh? who are you replying to? The last few posts (outside of Lupe) are about Hardcase's encrypted files question.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfierro View Post
    Not at all. I've explained this before, but I hate SD cards on a phone. I like my memory built in.

I think I'd use a stylus, but it's not important to me. It's not a must-have feature.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    crogs: pdfierro, it appears is trying something quite novel. He is replying directly to the specific question asked by the op.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    huh? who are you replying to? The last few posts (outside of Lupe) are about Hardcase's encrypted files question.
    a question started this thread?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    crogs: pdfierro, it appears is trying something quite novel. He is replying directly to the specific question asked by the op.
    So novel, that it wasn't recognised by some. Should be more of it!
    a question started this thread?
    Hey crogs after your excellent post detailing the evolution of the palmOS, you get a pass. No kidding, that was really interesting and informative.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1571637
    thanks funny thing is, the only reason I started using palm was because I worked at circuit city when it was introduced, and I got one for free for selling the most in a month. I started playing with it and thought it was slick. Sold a ton of them. Has been my PDA of choice ever since. So many that came on board with the latter treos just have no clue about the early palm days.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Hey crogs after your excellent post detailing the evolution of the palmOS, you get a pass. No kidding, that was really interesting and informative.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1571637
    Sorry, I can't be bothered to read through nine pages about such a limited topic, so I'm going to follow pdfierro's example and just reply directly to the question posed in the title of this thread.

I could live without it being SD, but I think SDHC is a perfect size - physically not too big, not too small, and available at up to quite large storage sizes. But I think this is another example where Palm threw the baby out with the bathwater in their effort to copy the iPhone. This wouldn't be a big deal if they at least matched the current largest (at time of release) iPhone storage space, but here they'll be far short of that. I wouldn't be surprised if a 32GB iPhone is released around the time that the Pre comes out, which would make an 8GB Pre look pathetically inadequate in terms of storage space.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I think you meant microSDHC. And you didn't need to go through all those pages. You've mimicked was most of us proponents have said. 16gb should've been the minimum. And I'm right there with you on the baby. Card slot and a d-pad would've been great additions and kept some of the roots of the treo line. The combination of a d-pad and touch would be very nice. I know there's times I keep my stylus in hand and use it in combination with the d-pad and fly through navigating and editing.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Whoopsies. I'm out of it. Thought this was a new thread. Glad I could provide some comedy though. You can continue now.
    I think you meant microSDHC.
    No, I meant SDHC. I think microSDHC is too small. But I'll add that it depends on how you intend to use it. If you want to swap a card in/out frequently (perhaps to stick it in your computer's SD slot to quickly copy some files/songs/whatever over) I think microSDHC is too tiny and SDHC is perfect. But if you intend to use it like a tiny hard drive where you buy the biggest card you can afford, stick it in your phone, and never take it out until you reach the limit and larger, affordable cards are now available, then it makes sense for it to be as tiny as possible (e.g., microSDHC). In that case, I would probably also say it should be stored in a protected place (e.g., under the battery cover), a la where Nokia used to locate the MMC cards in their smartphones.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I gotchya. From seeing some of the break aways of phones, there seems to be a big difference between the size of a standard slot as opposed to a micro slot. Is there enough room to fit either? no clue until someone posts pics of a blown up Pre. Though I do agree I'd like to see full size if the device allows it. Much easier to swap cards from a variety of devices, mostly cameras. The bigger screens lend themselves to photo viewing. Straight from the camera would be nice, especially if your camera allows you to resize pics so you could easily transfer the card and upload them from your phone. That's been talked about too with people still using 755 and 680's.
    did you listen to what he does? I can answer that. No.

What he does:
    1. take card and put it in pc.
    2. transfer and encrypt sensitive files onto the card
    3. insert card back into phone and go about business

He uses the files on the computer, not on the phone. It's just a way of STORING encrypted files so they are always on him and can be transferred to a pc and unencrypted for use. He's not trying to view or use encrypted files on his phone. It's instead of carrying a separate USB drive. He uses a card reader and can take the card from his phone to the computer.

So if the Pre is an external hard drive he should be able to store encrypted files on it and transfer them back and forth to a computer. He just needs to carry a microUSB cable instead of a card reader.

Make sense now? Why are you being so difficult?

I don't get your attitude. I just asked if you could read encrypted files on the Pre. I was wondering because you may need to access a file just in case. Geez!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I have an acquaintance who beta-tested the Pre. He said it's pre-production but it had a slot for a memory card. I didn't ask what (sd, micro sd, sdhc?) but there it is. He worked for Palm support.
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    I have an acquaintance who beta-tested the Pre. He said it's pre-production but it had a slot for a memory card. I didn't ask what (sd, micro sd, sdhc?) but there it is. He worked for Palm support.
    When did this supposedly happen? It wouild be nice but it sounds like BS to me.
    Sounds more like the slot for the SIM Card.
    sorry. second time with the similar question made me think you doubted what he wanted to do. Would think you'd need the encryption program on the Pre in order to view them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't get your attitude. I just asked if you could read encrypted files on the Pre. I was wondering because you may need to access a file just in case. Geez!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    But I think this is another example where Palm threw the baby out with the bathwater in their effort to copy the iPhone. This wouldn't be a big deal if they at least matched the current largest (at time of release) iPhone storage space, but here they'll be far short of that. I wouldn't be surprised if a 32GB iPhone is released around the time that the Pre comes out, which would make an 8GB Pre look pathetically inadequate in terms of storage space.
    ^+1
    You hit the nail on the head. The problem is you have all the devices in this class introduced this year and some in 2008 with a capacity of 16 to 32 gb and the palm Pre is the only one with this limit. Average life of the Pre will be purchase in fall 2009 and user replacement in fall 2011. It will be the dog when compared to competition when comes to capacity options for buyers of 2009 Pres.
    sorry. second time with the similar question made me think you doubted what he wanted to do. Would think you'd need the encryption program on the Pre in order to view them.
    Resco has one for the desktop as an option to install when you get their Explorer. I wonder if this also installs on the phone. Resco may make a WebOS version.

I have never tried to access encrypted files on any phone, so I'm not sure if it can be done. It would be nice if the Pre had that option, or maybe an app can fill that void.

The only other thing I can think of is password protected files although I don't know if the Pre supports those either.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'd like simple password protection. There's certain files and programs I don't want people to use or see if I'm in public or people are checking out my phone. It'd be nice to be able to drag and drop them into a folder of some sort that just includes them in the "hidden" category and are only revealed when you enter a password.

In his case, since he's just storing them, it's not much of an issue, but since the Pre is mass storage and you can store encrypted files on there, it'd be nice if you could encrypt/decrypt them on the phone.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast