Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not only is this emulator possible, but it's somewhat likely...from a third-party. But this shouldn't be a priority for Palm. At all. Every second spent on this is a second not spent on getting WebOS ready for market and stable.
    'That would depend - I've no idea how many people work for Palm nowadays; the more employees a developer of whatever has, the less sense does it make to have everyone work on the same project, because they would have to spend more and more time just avoiding to bump into each other.

Is the number of Palm programmers/developers rather small? In that case you would be right, I'm afraid... meaning that I'd have to wait for that hypothetical third party developer to deliver the goods - and for Palm to deliver their next device WITH a card slot.

(In message 130 you asked "Anyone wanna trade the latter for the former?" I don't see the necessity for that; there doesn't appear to me to be any objective reason not to add that card slot - lets hope the Apple folks that Palm poached haven't decided from an ideological point of view that they didn't want one, but that Palm simply decided to "keep it simple" with the first of hopefully many new devices, so they had to offer additional incentives for customers to buy the second, third,... !)

Regards,

Jochen
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    'That would depend - I've no idea how many people work for Palm nowadays; the more employees a developer of whatever has, the less sense does it make to have everyone work on the same project, because they would have to spend more and more time just avoiding to bump into each other.
    I don't think developing and finishing an entire OS is a single-party project, my friend. There are many different aspects to it, each with dedicated teams. There are many groups of developers working together to get this thing finished, and Palm needs those resources to be dedicated to that and any WebOS apps shipping on the device. Developing a Garnet emulator and making it work within the WebOS framework as well as optimizing it for the Pre display and resolution...that should be really, really, really low on the list of things to do for Palm right now.
    its time to move onto another horse to beat
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    This is based on what exactly? A gut feeling?
    Mobile Devices Market Share | ABI Research
    Might you be kind enough to isolate something on that site to support your assertions? That link is useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jochen K. View Post
    Is the number of Palm programmers/developers rather small? In that case you would be right, I'm afraid... meaning that I'd have to wait for that hypothetical third party developer to deliver the goods - and for Palm to deliver their next device WITH a card slot.
    My recollection is that they got rid of most of their PalmOS people some time ago. I think that the need to save wages money and survive has meant that they had no alternative but to concentrate on getting WebOS right.
    Here's a last word (well, several last words) from me on the subject of a Palm emulator for the Pre.

CESD, creator of such great programs as DateBk6, DbFixIt and the brand new, soon to be multi-platform Pimlical, surely knows as much as most of us about Palm.

Here are two things he wrote in the last day or two:

Quote 1
    "I don't think there was a whole lot of surprise about there being no more Palm OS devices in the pipeline. What was surprising to me was that the PACE Emulator didn't attract more interest as part of their future strategy. I still think Palm missed the boat on this one as the PRE would have been a lot more interesting to me if it also had the Pace emulator tucked away as an option to run all Palm OS software - even if just as a transition strategy...."

Quote 2:
    "What Palm appears to fail to realize is that if they provide no transition strategy of any kind, then the average Palm user when looking for a replacement for their Palm device looks at the entire market from anew as an even playing field, where the iPhone, Blackberry or WinMob devices are also options. If the Pre had a PACE Emulator and allowed their existing software to still run, it would be a significant incentive for them to stay with the palm platform.
    <snip>
    One can argue that without hotsync, the benefit of Pace would be significantly limited and this is true, but even if the benefit were largely psychological rather than technical, I still think it would accomplish that goal of encouraging
    existing Palm users to stay with the platform."
    From all that the Pre is, I don't think they care about what the existing user base wants. They've strayed away from all that is Palm & treo with no card slot, d-pad and desktop sync. It's quite obvious how iphone centric the mentality is. If a 3rd party sees a market for the emulator, let them make it. Don't point fingers at Palm though. Their intent is webOS and the future. Why should they pay to license a program to promote the past? that's what 3rd parties are for. If there's a market for it, they'll create it, plain and simple.

I wouldn't pay for one if I'd only end up buying the webOS version down the road if it was an imprtant enough program. Wouldn't want the emulator for long term as I couldn't see dealing with old POS apps when the webOS versions will most likely be more feature rich. So if I'm not spending any more money on POS apps, why would I spend more to run them on a new device? I might not be a majority opinion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    From all that the Pre is, I don't think they care about what the existing user base wants. They've strayed away from all that is Palm & treo with no card slot, d-pad and desktop sync. It's quite obvious how iphone centric the mentality is. If a 3rd party sees a market for the emulator, let them make it. Don't point fingers at Palm though. Their intent is webOS and the future. Why should they pay to license a program to promote the past? that's what 3rd parties are for. If there's a market for it, they'll create it, plain and simple.

I wouldn't pay for one if I'd only end up buying the webOS version down the road if it was an imprtant enough program. Wouldn't want the emulator for long term as I couldn't see dealing with old POS apps when the webOS versions will most likely be more feature rich. So if I'm not spending any more money on POS apps, why would I spend more to run them on a new device? I might not be a majority opinion though.
    I definitely share your opinion!
    1. No stylus: good riddance
    2. No microSD: disappointing, but I can live with 8 GB.
    3. No Garnet emulator: not worth wasting developer and support resources on. Best left to a third party.
    Might you be kind enough to isolate something on that site to support your assertions? That link is useless.
    The sales figures are useless? wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's quite obvious how iphone centric the mentality is.
    You saw them allude to the iphone right in the initial presentation. You can bet the Sprint stores as well as Sprint marketers who will be doing the dominant product identity will be focusing on iphone.
    It's a subscription based site. You can't get any of their detailed reports unless you subscribe or someone does a little Snagit of the report and uploads it. So while I hate to agree with him, Mikah would be correct. The link is useless as it just takes you to their website without showing the report.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The sales figures are useless? wow.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    233 Global Posts
    I have an 8 GB card for my 755p with about 7 GB of music, photos and work files. I use it to carry around files from my computer that I need. It is a handy and secure way to carry files, since my phone is on my person me most of the time when I am out of the office or away from home. I simply carry a MicroSD card reader and use the card from my phone as a jump drive.

Also, with my computer, I can secure files on the card in a way that the phone cannot. It prevents unauthorized access to sensitive corporate files, with the convenience of having them with me all the time.

I also like the security of backing up to a card. It is more convenient than internet or computer backup and restore. Hopefully, though, the Pre will not reset as often as other Palm devices.

Further, it is easier to manage audio and other files on my computer than on the small phone screen, with limited ability to manipulate them. Unless you can directly access the phone's memory from your computer, which is doubtful, that will be a huge concern for me.

In short, I vigorously vote for having a MicroSD card slot. It doesn't take up much real estate and gives much more flexibility.
    The Pre has MSC support and is recognized as a hard drive on your computer. You should be able to encrypt files on your Pre the same way you would on a card. From what someone has said, doing a hard reset will not have you lose the files you have in storage. I'd like to see that before I believe it though.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Unfortunately there's no proof of security on the Pre because no one has demonstrated that feature yet!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    he's talking about encrypting files on a card. If the Pre has MSC support he should be able to encrypt files on the Pre the same way. Windows recognizes it as an external hard drive just like a card. Has nothing to do with the Pre's own security.
    Can you read encrypted files on the Pre?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    No stylus, thats good because I rarely use it on my 755P. No SD Slot too? I can get used to that since all I have is 2GB card in my 755P anyway. Would I like more....be crazy to say no, who doesn't like more of anything? Still, this baby is a day one buy for me.
    did you listen to what he does? I can answer that. No.

What he does:
    1. take card and put it in pc.
    2. transfer and encrypt sensitive files onto the card
    3. insert card back into phone and go about business

He uses the files on the computer, not on the phone. It's just a way of STORING encrypted files so they are always on him and can be transferred to a pc and unencrypted for use. He's not trying to view or use encrypted files on his phone. It's instead of carrying a separate USB drive. He uses a card reader and can take the card from his phone to the computer.

So if the Pre is an external hard drive he should be able to store encrypted files on it and transfer them back and forth to a computer. He just needs to carry a microUSB cable instead of a card reader.

Make sense now? Why are you being so difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Can you read encrypted files on the Pre?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast