Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post

The Memory Card kind of IS a big deal. I want to be able to back everything up just in case I break it or it freaks out and I need a replacement.

Backing up to the card! That is an important point I overlooked. However, it also seems likely that with the constant connection to the web that there will be an automatic and dynamic internet based backup solution going to be offered when all the details come out, similar to what Palm offered last year. Maybe it will even back things up in real time? The Pre updates other user information automatically in real time, why not back it all up that way too?

Having an SD card with a backup on it only is useful til you get your hands on a replacement phone or to your computer anyhow. If the the info is already backed up on the Web, when you connect your new Pre; Presto. Synced up with your last good data. How's that?
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink View Post
    Backing up to the card! That is an important point I overlooked. However, it also seems likely that with the constant connection to the web that there will be an automatic and dynamic internet based backup solution going to be offered when all the details come out, similar to what Palm offered last year. Maybe it will even back things up in real time? The Pre updates other user information automatically in real time, why not back it all up that way too?

Having an SD card with a backup on it only is useful til you get your hands on a replacement phone or to your computer anyhow. If the the info is already backed up on the Web, when you connect your new Pre; Presto. Synced up with your last good data. How's that?
    Not always... what if you have to do a "hard reset" while at a conference for five days? Depending on the phone plans, many won't pay a monthly fee to backup to the web... even then, if you have 5 gb on the phone, then that could be expensive per month... where a card could take care of that issue....

I've not had to "hard reset" any modern phone, so my point may not be a point...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

It would be nice, but saying it doesn't make it so. Those who don't have unlimited data won't be able to use this solution. It could also be costly for Sprint if everyone begins using the Internet as a backup method (bandwidth).

Also, depending on how much data you are going to backup, it could take a while to upload. Even if you could use other programs while waiting, the upload could slow down other applications.
  4.    #24  
    It's been an interesting discussion so far and some really good points have been made.

I think we can all agree on this; Palm has encouraged a consumer history of relying on expansion cards for several Treo product cycles now, and many consumers have become comfortable and dependent on having on board expandable memory in other companies devices as well. So, at the very least, it is a significant departure that Palm has decided to go a different route here..even with 8GB on board memory. They must have put a lot of thought into NOT having expandable memory on this first version of the PRE, and made a business desicion they thought was best for the immediate launch of the new OS.

I think this fact has been a little under-reported thus far.
    8GB isn't enough for me. personally. I'm looking at my iphone and it's almost full. a couple seasons of 2 TV shows, only about 3-4 GB of music, about 1 GB of applications. I have about 1.5 GB left in my 16GB iphone.

multitouch as DEMOed by Palm makes the stylus unnecessary, esp with the built-in keyboard. I actually having a stylus on your phone is absurd. You should be able to do everything and anything you want on a PHONE with 1 hand.
    I think you are overlooking something. The phone supporst USB Mass Storatge, which means you can use a usb drive to store extra data. sure it's gonna stick out. But you can atleast pop it in and backup. I've got a micro to USB adabpter that's about one inch long.. Unfortunately IIRC the usb slot is on the side so a usb drive will also be a little clumsy if you intend to keep it in all the time.

As far as a stylus is concerened use a stylus designed for an Iphone.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    The lack of a stylus doesn't bother me at all. I lost the stylus on my Centro, and I haven't bothered to replace it. I so rarely pulled the stylus out of the slot anyways. The few instances when I need to hit something small or on the edge of the screen, I usually use a nail, or some other sufficient object to hit it anyways, and with a touch designed device with no recessed screen, it wouldn't be an issue for me at all.

On the side of expandable storage, it's not a big deal to me, although it would be nice, as I could see using this more often for watching videos and listening to music instead of always using my Archos 605. I've gotten used to having the two devices, as doing audio/video on my Centro works fine, but music in the background can be iffy with the way I use it, and the screen is a bit small for video (especially widescreen stuff). The other side of the thought to me is increased used of streaming media, especially for music. Instead of keeping my whole music/video collection on my device, keep the more frequently used items local, and the less frequently used items online, and just stream it when needed.

When it comes to the backup aspect, I prefer online backups anyways. I miss the BackupBuddy.net software. If I lose my device (or it is stolen), a SD backup is useless if the card was in there. I've done full restores on my old Treo 755p (or might have been 700p) online, and it ran just fine, it took a bit, but it did restore, and with WiFi, just go to a hotspot and it will run even faster. Also, with so much of the data online, the most critical data (such as contacts, calendar, and email, at least it is to me) doesn't even need to be backed up, just the settings.
    Having an SD card with a backup on it is also good at all times for people who are not interested in relishing the security and confidence in privacy that backing up their entire personal life over the public internet provides.
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    I think you are overlooking something. The phone supporst USB Mass Storatge, which means you can use a usb drive to store extra data. sure it's gonna stick out. But you can atleast pop it in and backup. I've got a micro to USB adabpter that's about one inch long.. Unfortunately IIRC the usb slot is on the side so a usb drive will also be a little clumsy if you intend to keep it in all the time.

As far as a stylus is concerened use a stylus designed for an Iphone.
    oh wait it's a micro usb slot so one needs to also have a usb to micro usb adapter. still doable but even more awlkward
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Guys, it's been made pretty clear that it supports USB mass storage in that, the phone appears as a USB mass storage device to a PC.
    IMHO, those saying they have 10 to 15gb of music and video so they have to have more storage doesn't completely make sense. You can't possibly listen to that amount of music on one trip. Why not put on what you need for the trip and then change it out periodically? When I look at the summary on my 16gb iPhone, I have 4 days of music, a few movies, over 40 apps and still have 6gb left. There's no way I will listen to 4 days of music.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Well, I don't have much music (5.9 gigs free on my 8GB iPod Nano, and not all of that is music,) but I can explain.

Having to pick your music and such beforehand means that... if you decide you want to listen to something that isn't on your device now, you can't.
    Hm, for me definitely the removable storage is a big deal. Maybe not a dealbreaker, but as others have mentioned in here, it's not about the capacities involved; it's about the removability and the potential for backing up the phone and then restoring to a replacement phone.

Of the many good things about my treos over the years (600, 650, 700p, 755p), one of the underrated best things about it is that removable card. I know I'm not alone in having had to take my phones into a Sprint technician, with some major issue preventing proper use of the phone. In those numerous times, the saving grace for me has been that I can literally walk into the store, backing up my phone (takes about 6 min on my 755p), take the card out, hand it to the tech, and if I get a replacement phone, pop in the card, restore, and have my phone, with all the data, all the settings, and all the call and text history right there.

How many of you have had the experience of having a phone go bad (treo or otherwise) or having a friend whose phone went bad, and they lost all their numbers? That simply can't happen with a regular backup/sync + manual backup-when-you-sense-danger regimen...(well, barring like dropping it in water or something...).

The online back up and restore is promising, but I just figure that it's gonna take a lot longer than it would with a local card.

On the capacity side, I have over 40GB of stuff on my 160GB iPod Classic, about 25GB of that being music. I don't mind that the phone's only got 8GB, 'cause I just don't expect any phone, with expansion or not to be able to hold all my stuff. I prefer to keep *all* my music with me *all* the time, rather than trying to pick out subsets for each trip and just syncing that subset as someone here suggested. I just would prefer never to run into that situation where I want a particular song or songs, and they're, darn it, not with me 'cause it didn't occur to me that I'd want those songs on my trip this time.

Nope...not for me (that "er, darn it I don't have that song with me" situation, not the Pre in general).

...Overall though, I'm still figuring this is my next phone. My contract is up sometime in this 1st half of 2009. (I'll be double-checking that soon...)
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 01/09/2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    IMHO, those saying they have 10 to 15gb of music and video so they have to have more storage doesn't completely make sense. You can't possibly listen to that amount of music on one trip. Why not put on what you need for the trip and then change it out periodically? When I look at the summary on my 16gb iPhone, I have 4 days of music, a few movies, over 40 apps and still have 6gb left. There's no way I will listen to 4 days of music.
    Some of us use our SD cards as our music library even on our computers. It means that when we are on our trips, we are not limited by what we had the foresight to put on the card, we can just listen to whatever we want out of our collection.

As the SDHC spec tops out at 2048GB, that means that devices that support it today, will enjoy substantial upgradeability for the foreseeable future. Especially when the cards start hitting 128GB and more in the next couple of years.

EDIT - Just found out the SDHC spec tops out at 32GB. Nevermind.
    Last edited by gideon213; 01/09/2009 at 11:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    The online back up and restore is promising, but I just figure that it's gonna take a lot longer than it would with a local card.
    If you wanted to run a fresh full backup it would take longer, but if the backup is running in the background (or at night when you are sleeping), you wouldn't even notice a difference in time for the backup itself. The restore would take a bit longer, but on a good Wi-Fi connection probably not by much.
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard View Post
    If you wanted to run a fresh full backup it would take longer, but if the backup is running in the background (or at night when you are sleeping), you wouldn't even notice a difference in time for the backup itself. The restore would take a bit longer, but on a good Wi-Fi connection probably not by much.
    That's quite reassuring, actually... And you figure that at the very least, a third-party solution in this vein will be quickly forthcoming. And you figure it would have, as a no-brainer, real-time updating of the backup so that you'd never even lose a call log item or a text message history...along with user-defined versioning, maybe (i.e., daily backups, with maybe an occasional manual backup point).

It does still leave open the possibility that someone wouldn't want their data stored out on someone else's storage or going through the air.

Intriguing.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    It does still leave open the possibility that someone wouldn't want their data stored out on someone else's storage or going through the air.
    True, you could probably never satisfy everyone with this type of backup, but if you provided encryption based on a password you supply (that the company storing the data can't access), and possibly the option to store on your own server, that concern could be handled for most people...
    Is there not a miniUSB to standard USB adapter that u can connect a portable memory atick to? and carry that around as a backup?

IGO
    I got about 5 gig of videos of my kids alone on my iPhone now, with about another 5 gig of music.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I only have a 2GB card on my Centro and still have about half empty, so 8GB is quite good. However, I must say I am not a big music user and Pre apps could be larger with better graphics.

I am like rinkeedink, I mainly carry a stylus as a backup pen. But I depends heavily on the 5-way button on the Centro, I sure hope the gesture is as easy to use as the buttons.

I do still wish they kept the 5-way button in some way. It is a lot easier to plant my thumb in one place the try to go to different links on a page. May they can add more gestures in the bottom area to replace that.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast