Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Not very important to me...I might throw a playlist on there once in a while, but by and large I'll keep my music on my ipod nano (which is an 8 gig, and I don't even have it half filled). I don't travel much, so I really don't need much space; plus I'd rather leave most of the room on my Pre for apps.

And as for a stylus, it definitely has it's uses, but I usually found them kind of a pain.
    Dr. J brings up some excellent points for the serious reasons why you need a card!!

Also this makes me wonder if you can lock the Pre with a password and also if it has a "wipe" feature.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Thanks, Diva, for the kind words.

I have been reading posts about remote wiping, but I don't know anything about it. It seems that it would be useful in a crisis, but I think I will wait until I actually own my next phone before I investigate it thoroughly. For now, I don't view losing control of my physical phone/PDA to be nearly so big a risk as exposing data into the cloud if I used a Pre the way it has been described/promoted.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Dr J, actually made comments similar to yours much earlier in this thread as I had an exprience in Cali where I broke my Centro with no laptop around. Luckily I have my backup program on a one touch, so I hit "B" for the backup program and hit the center of the screen knowing that's where the backup icon is even though I couldn't see it. Backed everything up, walked into a sprint service center. They gave me a new phone on the spot. After a quick program, I popped in card, restored in minutes and was on my way. With the Pre, I would have to hope the storage part of memory was still intact, cable it up to a pc, drag everything onto the desktop, plug in the new pre and drag everything back onto the Pre. Seems very tedious.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I accidentally dropped my phone in a garbage at MacDonalds. It was submerged in soda. The whole phone was ruined, card and all.

If I had everything backed up to the cloud, I wouldn't have had to start all over.
    I don't think people are saying you shouldn't backup to the cloud. You lost everything. Everything is not in the cloud, just your PIM info. All your media, office files, pdf's and whatever else you use your phone for besides a PIM is still gone until you get back to a PC.

I've dunked phones and mp3 players quite a few times in many different liquids. I took my Sansa Fuze into the shower with me because I forgot I clipped it to the underside of my watch and was rushing. I don't think I've had a card get ruined yet. I thought they were fairly impervious to quite a bit.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I accidentally dropped my phone in a garbage at MacDonalds. It was submerged in soda. The whole phone was ruined, card and all.

If I had everything backed up to the cloud, I wouldn't have had to start all over.

Just for interest's sake: What kind of wireless transfer rates do you get in the US?

I travel around Europe a lot, and quite often when there is no WiFi and I have to rely on my phone or the HSDPA dongle on my Netbook (theoretical speed 7.2 Mbit/s) I have encountered download speeds in the region of 5 - 10 kBytes/s!

In such an area, replacing the 7.3 GB of stuff on my Centro's SD card (or in an equally full Pre) via the Cloud would "only" take a minimum of 9 days of continuous transfer.

Easy! (???)

Regards,

Jochen (who, away from his computers, always carries a second MicroSD card with a recent backup with him.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post

SD cards get ruined in liquid? i've washed mine with no harm. they're solid state.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I don't think people are saying you shouldn't backup to the cloud. You lost everything. Everything is not in the cloud, just your PIM info. All your media, office files, pdf's and whatever else you use your phone for besides a PIM is still gone until you get back to a PC.

I've dunked phones and mp3 players quite a few times in many different liquids. I took my Sansa Fuze into the shower with me because I forgot I clipped it to the underside of my watch and was rushing. I don't think I've had a card get ruined yet. I thought they were fairly impervious to quite a bit.
    the included Palm Pre cloud PIM data backup service will restore your PIM data. and big deal if you have to move your media over via PC USB. how often do you really anticipate this catastrophic event happening? and a forced regular "Spring cleaning" device de-clutter is sometimes a good thing IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    how often do you really anticipate this catastrophic event happening?
    From one who DID get burned once - in strict obedience to Murphy's law in the worst possible situation - this sounds a lot like "I don't need railings on my balcony, I never go near the edge anyhow."

Years ago on vacation abroad - not just a thousand miles but also weeks away from my PC - I dropped my then Tungsten T onto a stone; somehow the shock caused a hard reset and ruined the card - it couldn't be read any longer.

Back in my hotel I took the backup card I had prepared back home, popped it into the card slot and was back in business a few minutes later (cards of the necessary size were so cheap even then that having TWO cards was quite affordable).

If I'd have had to rely on the cloud... Trust me, ONE complete data loss is quite enough to be grateful for a card slot!

P.S. Next week I'll go hill walking again in an area where the is mobile coverage - with dowload rates of about 6 kilobytes per second - but no wifi; even just losing my PIMS would make me hate to have to rely on the cloud!
    Not important. I don't need a library on my Pre. Pandora and a few workout sounds for backup is sufficient. Same for video. Without these needs, I'll do fine with 8GB. Stylus was nice, but I'm looking forward to it not being needed. I actually like the stylus more because I bought one with an ink pen for when I was in a pinch. The UI for the Pre promises successful stylus-free living. When the iPhone came out, I didn't think this would work, but I'm happy with my Pre.

Would like the center button to be a scroll wheel though.
    8 gb is enough space for me, having expandable memory is a nice feature, but a liability when you have 8 gigs already.

and the stylus, well, good riddance!
    Well, as someone who had to do a full wipe (1.03 update fouled things up on my Pre) I can tell you that at present, not everything on the Pre can be backed up. Some things are backed up on the cloud, others can be copied from the USB drive to a computer, but other things are completely lost on a full wipe. They have to be manually restored, one by one. This is one thing we desperately need Palm to address. On my Treo/Centro devices, I could count on the SD card having EVERYTHING needed for a complete restore, including preferences, web bookmarks, notes, etc.
    close to a dealbreaker for me also, I had a 8GB microSDHC card in my instinct and i carried a extra 8gb card in my car with differnt genre of music on in and different movies,

But if i cut out the movies, just put one or two on my pre then i can cut down what music i actually listen to (out of my 15GB of music) and use ORB for the rest i should be fine, Just hooked up ORB yesterday on my pre and my xbox and i am loving it, Music isnt the best thru it with the lag and all, but for Movies it works great and thats what i care about mostly.
    SCK Manager
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    the lack of memory card is pretty insignificant for me. the usb port takes care of any data transfer i need to do. if micro SD cards came in 32 or 64 gb sizes i might have a different opinion.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    VERY close to a deal breaker for me. I was so happy to see how close to a perfect device the Pre was and then the lack of the card slot hit me square between the eyes.

I didn't even consider such a powerful device would have such a limitation.

The majority of devices have card slots for a very good reason. The demand. For me it's not backup but the ability to have my content wherever I am. Don't spout cloud computing at me. When I am on a plane or out of range or just want to play fast locally stored content I want it there and then.

8GB are you kiddin' me!

I store music, pictures, videos from many sources on my PC and copy them to my card. I put that card into any device and the data (i.e. video) can be replayed on that device.

C'mon Palm what were you thinking ? And don't try that "its all about the design" line. You are good engineers and designers and a Micro SD slot is not going to be a detraction from the smooth design.!!!

Lets hope the GSM version gets a card slot and how ironic would it be if the $99 Palm Pixie (or whatever they call it) came out with a card slot.

8GB won't hack it for me and I am very let down by Palm.
    Close to a deal breaker for me too. Orb nearly defeats this problem...except that when using Orb, you can not switch between tasks. In other words, Orb kills the main function of the phone: multitasking. Eventually I'm sure there will be an app to stream music that I will find usable. Until then, I will curse Palm for making the ridiculous move of no expandable storage.

BTW, nice bump Jochen. Lol.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I miss not having a microsd slot I had a 16gb card in my touch pro..

Not missing the stylus at all though.. I can't remember the last time I pulled out the stylus on my last phone (touch pro)
    -mark
    Definitely a dealbreaker.
    No micro sd is unimportant. This is a phone not an mp3 player. 8gb is plenty for a phone. We have pandora, and the battery isn't even good enough to use this as my mp3 player. IMHO
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast