Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Hey manilenio, any chance you could ask your acquaintance to confirm this wasnt a sim card. Please?

Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    I have an acquaintance who beta-tested the Pre. He said it's pre-production but it had a slot for a memory card. I didn't ask what (sd, micro sd, sdhc?) but there it is. He worked for Palm support.
    I've got a 4gb SDHC in my 755p and it's not even half full. 8gb internal should be plenty for my needs, although I do like the security of having a backup that's external.
    So one question would be, do you have a standalone player that has more media on it? And if you found the media experience on the Pre more satisfying than the 755p, would you put more content on? Just a question as I think many see the Pre as having more capability to be used more as their standalone player so the ability to have more storage would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I've got a 4gb SDHC in my 755p and it's not even half full. 8gb internal should be plenty for my needs, although I do like the security of having a backup that's external.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Well that and the fact people just perceive storage as a differentiator. You want that 8gb iphone or the 16gb one? 100 dollars difference.

You want that 8gb Pre or this 16gb iphone?

But palm is in kind of a pickle here. They put 16gb, then people will expect more in terms of media. And palm isn't quite pushing it as a media phone or adding the extra touches that would put the experience closely to the ipods..at least right now.

A card slot really fixes things but i guess they thought it would hurt future sales or figured that mainstream customers simply will not fool with inserting cards. Seeing 8gb or 16gb listed on the device (in bold) perhaps grabs customers' attention as they walk away from the device with "microSD slot" listed in the features. You have to remember, the majority of folks who buy these devices aren't that tech savvy.
    I bet if they included a card slot and a 4gb card they'd do well. 4gb would probably satisfy a lot of people, and the quick note of "expandable to 16gb" would entice those who desire more memory or the control they're used to with their dumb media phones. Even my sister who isn't tech savvy was finally bugging me about a card for her Curve because the 2gb one was filled, so I gave her a spare 8gb one. If the Curve was more media friendly, I'm sure she'd use it a lot more and her ipod less and quickly go beyond 8gb.

And if Palm didn't want to focus on media, they shouldn't have put a 3.5mm jack on it along with A2DP stereo Bluetooth support and have all the specs published:
    Media formats supported:
    Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Image Formats: GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP
    Outside of a lack of WMA, it looks to be fairly capable, and that's just out of the box without 3rd party support which we know there will be some software that opens it up even more over time.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Don't get me wrong, i agree with you for my purposes. I'd get the highest card and leave in there and not worry about it I'm not one for taking the cover off a lot. But at least i'd have that option.

This wasn't done with us or other customers in mind. This was done with Palm in mind. Which is apple-ish and not good.
    yeah, I'm not trying to spur you into a debate. Just posting thoughts. And yes, this is clearly that new company called Palmple or Appalm or whatever.
    cardfan, I disagree about microDS being, "tech savvy" and therefore a majority of folks would not fool with them. If that's what you meant, see the entire digital camera market as Exhibit A in opposition to that position.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    A card slot really fixes things but i guess they thought it would hurt future sales or figured that mainstream customers simply will not fool with inserting cards. Seeing 8gb or 16gb listed on the device (in bold) perhaps grabs customers' attention as they walk away from the device with "microSD slot" listed in the features. You have to remember, the majority of folks who buy these devices aren't that tech savvy.
    and we had discussed this before too when mikah and I had the big back and forth. microSD is pretty common for most that I know. Everyone I know seems to at least have a dumbphone that takes cards and they at least have a 2 or 4gb card in there. microSD card threads on deal sites always get a lot of attention and most of them are in it for their phones. So I definitely think it's trickled down to the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    cardfan, I disagree about microDS being, "tech savvy" and therefore a majority of folks would not fool with them. If that's what you meant, see the entire digital camera market as Exhibit A in opposition to that position.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Hey manilenio, any chance you could ask your acquaintance to confirm this wasnt a sim card. Please?
    well, he said it was on the Sprint network... I'm not sure if that's GSM or CDMA.
    well, he said it was on the Sprint network... I'm not sure if that's GSM or CDMA.
    After more than 200 posts around here, you have no idea whether sprint uses GSM or CDMA ????
    Who you kiddin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    After more than 200 posts around here, you have no idea whether sprint uses GSM or CDMA ????
    Who you kiddin?
    Look, I don't mean to be ill-mannered, so forgive me if I come off as such, but in case you didn't know, I'm not from the US of A, so I never bothered to remember what network works with what technology over your side of the pond. We only have GSM here, period. Now, I'm not passing off that information (the Pre that my acquaintance tested had a memory card slot) as gospel truth. But suffice it to say, he did work as a Palm tech support agent here (his CV proves it), and claims he was given the chance to beta test it. Whether that's true or not (him being a beta tester, and the Pre has a memory card slot), I cannot say, but I just passed it off to the forum because the info sounded plausible, and he seemed credible, given his knowledge of Palm products, issues, and processes.

Again, let me be clear: I don't know if it's true or not, as I don't know any better. I'm still using my good old T650, and I'm waiting just as hard for the Pre as all of you, so please don't flame me for passing off what sounded like credible information. I know we all put our reputations at stake when we open our mouths and say stuff, but I hope you guys know well enough to take things with a grain of salt until it's actually out in the market and in our hands.

Still, I DO hope it really has a memory slot... So I can say "see, i toldja so "

Peace!
    Look, I don't mean to be ill-mannered, so forgive me if I come off as such, but in case you didn't know, I'm not from the US of A, so I never bothered to remember what network works with what technology over your side of the pond. We only have GSM here, period. Now, I'm not passing off that information (the Pre that my acquaintance tested had a memory card slot) as gospel truth. But suffice it to say, he did work as a Palm tech support agent here (his CV proves it), and claims he was given the chance to beta test it. Whether that's true or not (him being a beta tester, and the Pre has a memory card slot), I cannot say, but I just passed it off to the forum because the info sounded plausible, and he seemed credible, given his knowledge of Palm products, issues, and processes.

Again, let me be clear: I don't know if it's true or not, as I don't know any better. I'm still using my good old T650, and I'm waiting just as hard for the Pre as all of you, so please don't flame me for passing off what sounded like credible information. I know we all put our reputations at stake when we open our mouths and say stuff, but I hope you guys know well enough to take things with a grain of salt until it's actually out in the market and in our hands.

Still, I DO hope it really has a memory slot... So I can say "see, i toldja so "

Peace!
    Sorry, assumed you are from the US. Whynot update your profile?
    Never occurred to me to do so... until now Thanks Aviator, did just that
    Somewhere earlier in this thread (I think), I related a tale of how my Treo700p died while I was traveling and how I got it replaced for free with a 755p under the Sprint Equipment Protection plan. The fact that I had an automatic backup run every night to an SD card meant that I could fairly easily "restore" all of my apps and all data, except for a few hours worth, from the card to the 755p. It would have been totally easy, except they had changed card sizes, and I had to get my data (including all my TomTom maps) moved from SD to micro SD before I could restore. Anyway, that experience was what made me a strong advocate for removable memory on a phone/PDA, so everything doesn't die when the device does.

Well, yesterday almost the same thing happened. My 755p went crazy with constant, repeating resets. After working for close to half an hour, I could not get it to stop until I did a hard reset that deleted all of the data. Restoring from the card was a snap, and all I lost was a couple of entries on my call log and a couple of checkoffs in SplashMoney for things that had cleared my bank account that morning. Totally a breeze to recover my info once the device was working.

Of course, since I was not traveling, I could have gotten back most everything with a HotSync without too much effort. But tomorrow morning, I am heading three time zones away and will not be carrying a computer with me. If the 755p had gone bonkers two days later and I had not had everything on a card, I would have been SOL until I got back home. This reinforces my desire for a memory card for the Pre.

Now I know that some folks will say that it would be even easier with the Pre -- that I would just have to restore from the Cloud. For those folks, I can only say that if you are storing all of your passwords, bank account info, and other sensitive data out on the internet, I think you are acting crazier than my Treo was.

Someone pointed out that I am also at risk if my Treo is lost or stolen with my info on it. Well, I'm not particularly careless with my phone or my data, and not only do I have my passwords stored in a password-protected SplashID file, I use the built-in security of the Treo that locks it down after 15 minutes of non-use, with a password required to reopen it. No, my security is not perfect, but I don't do the really stupid things that could spell disaster.

I really still think that it is prudent behavior to back up my PDA data at least nightly to a storage card that won't die if the device dies and also to do frequent local sync to a computer I control. I am very disappointed that the card option is not offered on the initial version of the Pre, and I am still waiting to see what will be offered for local sync.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    If you have more than one palm phone in your family this might be a cool way to use the card to protect against data loss even if you loose the phone with the card in it. Props to my brother who shared this idea with me: I use NVBackup, so does my wife on her Centro (She probably doesnt even know it). Anyway, when we travel, we swap cards once and do a manual backup on each others card. That way if a phone is lost we can replace and restore with the other's card. Another solution would be to simply get an extra card only for secondary backup and store it in your car or even wallet. This may seem overly cautious, but anyone who has been on the road and had to replace their treo and had the pleasure of card back-up can understand the pure joy and satisfaction of slipping a card in a new phone and being almost instantly back in business. ARE YOU LISTENING PALM????
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    ^ Well put. Hard to argue with your logic. I personally would never travel without my laptop, but not everyone has that option all the time.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    No stylus, no problem. Don't really use mine anyhow.

The 8gb will be fine for most people. If they Palm used 16gb, people would complain about not having 32gb, etc.

I propose a paradigm change in the way people consider their media files. I think Palm is changing the way the mobile device works by integrating web data access for almost everything.

There is already some ways to stream your files through the data connection(Orb for one). Even if you don't use Orb, I bet that someone will come up with an online server that would allow you to store your personal media files and stream them directly to your device. I think that is the future, instead of just storing everything locally on your Pre.
    I know that the Palm Pre has it's own media player but if Kinoma could make an app for Web OS, it would solve everything. I use Kinoma all the time for my music and it is the best media player out there. Sure, the interface is nice but one of the services it intergrates is Orb Networks where you can tap into you music you have at home and stream it directly with a great sound. I have over 30 GB of music on my hard drive at home and can stream it directly to my phone at anytime. Sure I still have a 4 GB memory card for my music I need for my workouts but if I want anything else, my music is still at my fingertips. Also not to mention my files including documents, pictures, videos, etc. It is a great service and I hope Kinoma works with Palm because that would save a headache for them about the SD card slot.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    I hope I don't offend anyone, but it occurred to me that memory in the form of no SD card and only 7.5 gig on board is kind of like intimacy with your spouse, to-wit:

1. Say prior to getting married your future spouse tells you that 8 times a month will be the limit, no matter what, it can never increase for as long as your marriage lasts. She assures you that 8 times a month will be just fine to meet your wants or needs.

2. Some people need or want a higher frequency of intimacy, others need or want less, and still others feel that 8 times per month is just right.

The parallel is this: Why place an arbitrary limit on something so good? Sure, some may want it 16 or 32 times a month and even some will never have enough, but does that justify capping it at 8? of course not. And just because your wife has put an arbitrary limit on it, you both know that wont keep you from complaining and asking for more. Who knows, maybe soon enough you'll renew your vows and she'll increase it to 16 or 32, or if she's really smart, she'll just leave it for you both to decide as to what meets your needs. I doubt either of those scenarios will happen if you don't tell her and even complain now and then. Oh, and to your buddies who tell you to leave her at the alter and find a wife who will promise more, tell them you're madly in love with her and while this is not a deal breaker, you just need to bring her to a better understanding of how important this facet of the relationship is to the future success of the entire marriage.
    PalmOS Treos: 90/300/600/650/700/755/launch day Pre minus/ Evo/Epic
    And don't forget the privacy issue! Not only will you and your wife determine how often, but it should remain between you! Only a card can be truly password protected for individual files. So the Pre is kind of like leaving your door open at all times. Yes, I'd love to watch, but there are times when I don't necessarily want you to!
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast