Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    The phone looks awesome. I have been using my centro since it launched. I want a new phone. I am stuck between Treo Pro and this new Palm Pre.

However It lacks a few thing the Treo Pro has.

1.) legacy apps support. (Treo Pro can run StyleTap)
    2.) No mention of DUN (teathering)
    3.) No External Storage. (Drive Mode is nice but I want to use MicroSD)

I know I should just get the Treo Pro but the New'ness has me so intrigued.

OrionNE
    You can tether with Bluetooth. That's been mentioned many times.

I think the whole legacy apps will be a moot issue.

#3 is a major issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    You can tether with Bluetooth. That's been mentioned many times.

#3 is a major issue.
    I was wondering about the tethering as well. If this phone is web based, how much data does it use (it must use data just opening contacts & calendar) and will that affect how close you are to the 5 gig limit? I don't even come close now, but I am in contacts and calendar a lot. If that's the case, will they know that you are tethering and charge you the phone as modem charge even if you are using a program like PdaNet?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas

For you perhaps. For others it may be a major issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    For you perhaps. For others it may be a major issue.
    Yup, some have invested a lot in software. And unfortunately, I think a 3rd-party emulator would be a horrible band-aid.

If Palm really wanted to be good to its faithful, they could help subsidize the transition by giving developers a reduced commission rate for apps sold through their App Store when users upgrade to WebOS versions of the same product. If Palm AND the developer both make discounts, you could upgrade cheaply. If porting over apps is as easy as they make it sound, it could be a win/win/win for everybody.
    Hey guys consider this - I have been a Windows Mobile user for the last 8 years and love my current HTC Touch Diamond. However, even with all the software I have invested in over the years, I still think I will move to the Pre once it becomes available for US GSM.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I have a 2gb card in my 755p right now, and I can't remember the last time I had to remove it or reinstall from it. With 8gb built-in, I thinkg 90+% of people will have no need for external storage.
    I also think that 8 gig will be more that enough for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    I was wondering about the tethering as well. If this phone is web based, how much data does it use (it must use data just opening contacts & calendar) and will that affect how close you are to the 5 gig limit? I don't even come close now, but I am in contacts and calendar a lot. If that's the case, will they know that you are tethering and charge you the phone as modem charge even if you are using a program like PdaNet?
    Once the Pre pulls from Facebook, Outlook, Gmail, etc, it will probably store it. It will then probably re-query based on a push-basis. Whatever is updated one place will be updated the other place.

You wont get the entire 8GB, since that space will be needed for apps and their data, PIM data, etc. So if you have 1GB worth of apps and PIM data, then youre left with 7GB (less whatever the OS uses).
    I also disagree. This could be make or break for me. I concur that for many the built in Apps or Apps that will soon be available will take care of the problem. But I use some unusual Apps that may never be created for the Pre. And others like Slingbox may not be possible without low level access to the OS.

When the time comes that I have to replace my 700p Palm will not have any advantage over any other non POS.

Other issues that may keep me from the Pre.

If I have to go to a SE plan I will not upgrade, but may see what other carriers offer when the GSM version is released.

Does it work stand alone? There are times when I do not have service. If things only work when connected this is a big minus. Also a concern is if the GPS is locked out when you do not have service or from any but their App.

Basically at this point I see no reason to go with the Pre, that may change when some of the above questions have been answered.
    I emailed DataViz and they recommend that I submit Customer Feedback to request support for WebOS and the Palm Pre (I constantly edit/create word docs/spread sheets)... and I also emailed Styletap... although they are not sure about the API access, etc...

I HOPE they and other 3rd party developers are given the access to develop a Garnet Emulator...

(I'll email markspace right now...)
    Last edited by jmg_P1OS21; 01/10/2009 at 02:57 PM.
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Yup, some have invested a lot in software. And unfortunately, I think a 3rd-party emulator would be a horrible band-aid.

If Palm really wanted to be good to its faithful, they could help subsidize the transition by giving developers a reduced commission rate for apps sold through their App Store when users upgrade to WebOS versions of the same product. If Palm AND the developer both make discounts, you could upgrade cheaply. If porting over apps is as easy as they make it sound, it could be a win/win/win for everybody.
    Its not just a question of money. Certain applications such as PocketQuicken require Desktop Sync to work correctly.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its not just a question of money. Certain applications such as PocketQuicken require Desktop Sync to work correctly.

Hum... what are quicken busy promoting...

Answering customer demand for a powerful way to manage personal finances via the Web, Intuit will introduce Quicken Online in 2008. This revolutionary new service will build on the connectivity of the Web to give people a new level of insight into their personal finances. Combining new technology with Intuit's market-leading experience and expertise, Quicken Online will provide another innovative solution for people looking to take control of their financial lives.

NOW WITH PRE WEBOS APP!
    As far as desktop syncing, there are options like Goodsync for syncing the application database between your pc and your device.

If programming for WebOS is as simple as Palm suggests (and that remains to be seen), then all those important 3rd party apps that we got the Palm for in the first place (mostly the medical apps) will be ported quickly and easily...and probably before the first Pre is available for sale.
    External storage support can be added and the TI OMAP 3430 processor suppports MMC/SD storage according to the information I have found on it on the TI website.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by agchang View Post
    External storage support can be added
    What makes you say that? Mass storage devices generally can only work as slaves (right? someone?).
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Once the Pre pulls from Facebook, Outlook, Gmail, etc, it will probably store it. It will then probably re-query based on a push-basis. Whatever is updated one place will be updated the other place.

You wont get the entire 8GB, since that space will be needed for apps and their data, PIM data, etc. So if you have 1GB worth of apps and PIM data, then youre left with 7GB (less whatever the OS uses).
    I wasn't talking about internal storage, I was talking about the 5 gig monthly data limit that Sprint allows you. I raise that because I have no idea what a web based OS uses in terms of data.

If programming for WebOS is as simple as Palm suggests (and that remains to be seen), then all those important 3rd party apps that we got the Palm for in the first place (mostly the medical apps) will be ported quickly and easily...and probably before the first Pre is available for sale.
    I totally got the impression that we won't be hurting for programs either.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    My response was to the previous posts regarding no external storage. If the external storage in form of an SD or SDHC (if supported) is implemented, I see no problem is that is seen as a "slave" drive especially if the main purpose is to more files such as video, music, and jpeg files.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post

Even moving from Treo 600 to Treo 650 I had to upgrade some software. How many times we have heard people's program crashed on a new version of PalmOS or new phone. Sure some of the vendors provides free fix. But typically by the time you get a new phone, there is are major new releases and it would make you want to upgrade software anyway.

The problem is not the cost of money, but how soon some of our favorite programs would be ported or we can find a new equivalent. Or with WebOS, what programs cannot be ported. Anyway, I am an optimist, so I believe the 3rd part apps issue will be solved if Palm can bundle enough good programs for typical users to start with. I think the following are must have:
    * PIM (done)
    * Music player (done)
    * Phone viewer (done)
    * Movie player (done)
    * Map (done)
    * Web (done)
    * Phone, messaging, contact, etc. (done)
    * Flash (no YouTube yet)
    * Doc reader (no?? PDF, Word, Excel, etc.)

I think Pre is pretty close. Let's just hope the final apps runs as flawless as the demo.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Hey guys consider this - I have been a Windows Mobile user for the last 8 years and love my current HTC Touch Diamond. However, even with all the software I have invested in over the years, I still think I will move to the Pre once it becomes available for US GSM.
    If it works like the demos, I'll be gone from WM in a flash!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast