Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What makes you say that? Mass storage devices generally can only work as slaves (right? someone?).
    Correct. The Pre will appear as a drive if you plug it into your PC. There is no evidence that you could plug in a memory stick and access it. Someone got the wrong end of the stick (sorry couldn't resist).
  2. #22  
    My original reply was to the first post of this thread as I interpreted it. In my comment about adding an SD/SDHC slot for more storage to a Pre , I would that think it would be possible. This would also appear as mass storage just as the 7+GB of internal memory on the Pre. I didn't imply that this SD/SDHC storage was to access the 7+GB of internal memory. In my LifeDrive, one of several Palm models I own, the 3.8GB partition, which is the balance of the 4GB microdrive, appears as mass storage. If you recall, the LifeDrive also has an SD card slot in which I had a 4GB SD card. That card also appeared as accessible external mass storage. This is what I am talking about. The TI OMAP 3430 processor mentioned by Jon Rubinstein during Palm presentation at CES includes MMC/SD/SDIO support. So all I was saying is that I believe it would be possible to include an SD slot in a Pre as secondary mass storage for more video, music, jpegs, and other files people want to have available including as a location to back up data to. Blue Nomad BackupBuddy or Resco Backup Pro saw both the drive and the SD as separate locations to back data to or restore from.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Correct. The Pre will appear as a drive if you plug it into your PC. There is no evidence that you could plug in a memory stick and access it. Someone got the wrong end of the stick (sorry couldn't resist).
    No evidence, I disagree the use of "USB Mass Storage Support" under the memory heading in the specs. Generally when a device supports USB Mass Storage it means that it can read usb mass storage devices not that it can be accessed as a usb mass storage device.

    Windows XP supports USB Mass Storage. Windows 95 doesn't though you might be able to add it.

    Obviously there is confusion as to what Palm means by "USB Mass Storage Support"
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
  4. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post

    Obviously there is confusion as to what Palm means by "USB Mass Storage Support"

    No there isn't - one of the VPs outlined it in one of the hands-on, when you connect it to a PC it becomes a mass storage device for you to transfer musics and pictures across to.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    No evidence, I disagree the use of "USB Mass Storage Support" under the memory heading in the specs. Generally when a device supports USB Mass Storage it means that it can read usb mass storage devices not that it can be accessed as a usb mass storage device.

    Windows XP supports USB Mass Storage. Windows 95 doesn't though you might be able to add it.

    Obviously there is confusion as to what Palm means by "USB Mass Storage Support"
    You have it completely backwards. When a mobile device supports USB Mass storage, it means that it will appear as a storage device if you plug it into a desktop computer which supports USB Mass Storage.

    I don't know of any phone or PDA which can do what you suggest.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions