Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    OK... I've been an early adopter Treo user on Sprint since I the Treo 600 came out. My biggest complaint - no "name" shows up on my phone with CallerID - unless they are already in my Contacts list. It only shows the number. What crap...

I'm dying to get a new phone. I figured I would get the iPhone, but I waited to hear what Palm's latest would be. Well, I'm impressed. But I'm not so sure about Sprint. Especially with the CallerID issue.

What do you think?
    I would rather have the Contact name with a number showing for no match than have the Caller ID from another source show.
    Wait, what exactly is the iPhone doing special with caller ID?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$'$s$ $just$ $saying$ $where$ $the$ $call$ $is$ $from$, $which$ $can$ $be$ $done$ $with$ $a$ $simple$ $lookup$ $table$ $onboard$ $the$ $phone$, $and$ $all$ $Sprint$ $phones$ $already$ $do$ $to$ $an$ $extent$ ($the$ $state$ $with$ $the$ $phone$ $number$ $bit$.)

I don't think any carrier has full caller ID on any phone.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I think showing other people's names instead of "Unknown Number" would be confusing.

You don't think people would get confused thinking that they somehow knew the unknown caller?
    heh, i can tell you right now that iphone does nothing special w/ numbers that do not exist in my phonebook/contacts.

as a phone, the iphone has some SERIOUS defects/shortcomings. and displaying the digits only isn't even on the list.

on the other hand, as a pocket multimedia/gaming/mobile web device, iphone really shines. (full web experience is another thing all together). The best "full web" experience that I have seen is through an application called skyfire on windows mobile/symbian S60, but there are drawbacks there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    Wait, what exactly is the iPhone doing special with caller ID?

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$'$s$ $just$ $saying$ $where$ $the$ $call$ $is$ $from$, $which$ $can$ $be$ $done$ $with$ $a$ $simple$ $lookup$ $table$ $onboard$ $the$ $phone$, $and$ $all$ $Sprint$ $phones$ $already$ $do$ $to$ $an$ $extent$ ($the$ $state$ $with$ $the$ $phone$ $number$ $bit$.)

I don't think any carrier has full caller ID on any phone.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $no$ $name$ $transmitted$ $with$ $Caller$ $ID$ $on$ $any$ $of$ $the$ $cellular$ $networks$, $the$ $phone$ $doesn$'$t$ $matter$. $The$ $iPhone$ $only$ $shows$ $the$ $name$ $if$ $it$ $is$ $in$ $your$ $address$ $book$ $too$ ($at$ $least$ $from$ $what$ $I$'$ve$ $seen$). $One$ $handy$ $thing$ $that$ $my$ $Centro$ $does$ $it$ $at$ $least$ $shows$ $the$ $state$ $the$ $call$ $is$ $originating$ $from$ ($if$ $the$ $person$ $isn$'$t$ $in$ $your$ $address$ $book$, $and$ $of$ $course$ $it$'$s$ $based$ $on$ $the$ $area$ $code$).
    meballard: Actually, all phones on Sprint do that, regardless of whether they're smart, dumb, WinMo, Garnet, or even Palm OS 3.5 (I'm 99% sure my old Kyocera does it.)
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I didn't realize that, interesting to know. My Centro is the first Sprint phone I've had since the early days of Sprint (when $10 per 100 minute plans were released and was a really good deal - note that includes only those minute, this was before Night and Weekend, Mobile to Mobile, etc).