1.    #1  
    Say it ain't so!

http://www.mobileburn.com/rumors.jsp?Id=6017
    Also here
    http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-palm-round-up-/

And GSM/UMTS unlocked, price rumored to be $500-550

Update:

It's Offiical Now
    Palm Europe VP of Sales, Mr. Paul Ghent has confirmed the unlocked Palm Pre will cost $500-$550 in Europe while Sprint customers will get it for $399.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/palm-pre-...9-from-sprint/
    Last edited by deesugar; 01/09/2009 at 05:43 PM.
    That wouldn't surprise me. Palm feels like they have a superior product and will not lose $ on this phone (as compared to low margin Centro).
    I don't know. Not to sound like an ***, but what does Palm Europe's VP have to do with what Sprint will price it at.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I don't know. Not to sound like an ***, but what does Palm Europe's VP have to do with what Sprint will price it at.
    Just because he vice presides over Europe doesn't mean he's uninformed about decisions that don't directly affect Europe.

I will pay $399 as long as I can choose my own voice/data plan and the hardware is not crippled.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    I doubt the price will be that LOW. I expect unlocked GSM will be around the price of unlocked Touch Pro or Touch HD. After all it is about the same or better hardware spec with a better UI. So it will be around $700 - $900 GSM unlocked. Keep in mind the US$ recently have a 20% real value devaluation, so price of components will increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Just because he vice presides over Europe doesn't mean he's uninformed about decisions that don't directly affect Europe.

I will pay $399 as long as I can choose my own voice/data plan and the hardware is not crippled.
    Oh don't get me wrong, its entirely possible he's correct, but I'll wait until that's confirmed by Sprint or someone from the US side of things before I call it official myself. For me personally, $399 is a tough sell for a first device, with no expandable memory. I'd probably still get it, but $299 is the perfect price point. (Though I've been out of my contract for a while, maybe Sprint will give me a good deal if I threaten to leave.)
    I'm afraid that price might just sink it in the midrange market.

I was expecting $249-299, not TWICE the iPhone's price.

Edit: Note that that article said nothing about carrier subsidy. Maybe it's $399 without contract? Although, then again, the Centro is $399 without contract (minus $230 in instant savings and $100 in MIR for the old model, and $220 in instant savings and $100 in MIR for the new model.) The 755p is $579.99 without contract (minus $280 in instant savings and $100 in MIR,) and the 800w is $599.99 without contract (minus $250 in instant savings and $100 in MIR.)

The most expensive phone Sprint sells without a contract is the 800w, but discounts make it cheaper than the HTC Touch Pro, their most expensive with a contract.
    Last edited by bhtooefr; 01/09/2009 at 08:04 PM.
    They might sell 'em in the very short term for that price but to be competitive they will need to sell them at the same price point as iphones...$199 and $299 (maybe if they come out with a 16Gb version.) They just need to look at Sony's PS3 to see what happens when you try to sell your product at a premium....especially when it isn't established.
    Original post by Disaster:
    They might sell 'em in the very short term for that price but to be competitive they will need to sell them at the same price point as iphones...$199 and $299 (maybe if they come out with a 16Gb version.) They just need to look at Sony's PS3 to see what happens when you try to sell your product at a premium....especially when it isn't established.
    Remember that the iPhone did have it's initial release at that low price. They brought the price down after release and gave people ibucks for refunds. The ibucks probably increased sales in i-store.

Palm could learn fro the iPhone launch, but the initial high price did not slow it down. In addition, they can give $50 worth of palm bucks for the new palm store or throw in the touchstone charger.
    My gut says it is gonna be in the either $249 or $299 (new/upgrade, add $300 for direct purchase) out of the gate just like the HTC devices. Especially after Ed's "why would we charge less for a superior product" comment. If it is $399 WITH subsidies, kiss it goodbye for large sales volumes. $199 seems to be the "magic" number now, but I just don't think Sprint and Palm will do that out-of-the-gate. YOMV.
    I don't think the price is set yet so there is no way anyone would know at this point. It's just a bunch of speculation imo. The ED quote tell you nothing. Whoever thought that the device would sell for less than 199 is really just hoping. They never ruled out the possibility of the 199 price point, they just confirmed that it would not be less than that.
  12. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    It's max 6months off, no need to speculate yet. I would probably pay up to 299 for it. Though til they work out a memory card situation...maybe not worth that to me yet.
    400 is too much, I will wait.
    It's still a bargain over the iphone in the long run. Much better network in Sprint, cheaper plan.

And umm..not to mention its a much superior product than the iphone. The Pre promises to merge the best of both worlds. The iphone is basically an entertainment device and pales in comparison when you start talking features.
    Last edited by cardfan; 01/09/2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Well they should give the option to let you sign up with the iPhone data plan (AKA $30/m) and 199 for the phone; or the on going data plan with $399.
    iPhone data plan? I think we're getting confused.

And, actually, they already do something similar - when I got my Centro, IIRC, there was a $100 MIR that required a $25 or greater Vision plan.
    ouch, prices are getting deep. This phone better be awsome or they are going to have a hard time selling it at that price. What are the famous iphones with contract now, 250ish?
    They will almost certainly sell at a high price to early adopters. If you don't want to pay, simply wait.
    Price is part of marketing and product identity. Sometimes you price an item higher just to assert its higher value and to give buyer's status. It woill not be a stutus device if it is sold cheaply.

A cell phone alone used to confirm status. Then Bluetooth did. My garbageman wears a bluetooth headset today. I use to work in an office where having the most expensive mobile handset was objectively important singanal of power and the guys used to put them out on the table and establish bragging rights like the business card scene out of "American Psycho."

Sprint could afford to give this away if they tie it to simply everything. But if they did that it would not be bling.

I think it will be a very high list price and a very competitive subsidized and promoted price. I think the idea of apple bucks or a tie in with facebook paid services may be one of the incentives.

Again to look at the price without considering the profound and much bigger numbers around the plan requirements is not wise. It will be very favorable compared to ATT even if iphone were free and the subsideized Pre were $400, but it will be more expansive for smartphone plus service, then a lot of people are now paying on Sprint.
    The way i see it is that if they are going to boldly charge $399.99 with contract then they are definitely NOT going to require or foist any specific plan on buyers, which in a way might be a good thing 'cause my juicy plan is better than crack.

On the other hand $399.99 is dang high and i think that will definitely need to come down to the $199.99-249.99 threshold for them to bang it out even more.
    Now what the rumors might not have confirmed yet might be that Sprint may also have a mail-in-rebate in the offing like they always do to bring it down even lower. (So maybe $399.99 minus $100 MIR or more).

In this harsh economic times $399 is a bit steep but i want this hunka-plastic in me blimey hands like yesterday. I wonder what Besybuy will sell it for since they never do mail-in-rebates, they just sell it lower than Sprint?
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast