Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 79 of 79
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    Update: either $149/$199 with contract according to the original source (VP of European Sales or whatever)

    Hope that's correct!!!
    If so, that makes a huge difference. I want Palm to make money but 399 with contract seemed a bit much for most people even if it is better than the Iphone.
  2. #62  
    So does that mean that the $149.$199 price are for new customers. When I went to purchase my 800W and Touch pro Sprint would not give me the $250 rebate as I wasnt eligible. Only new customers got that greta price AND when i said I would sign up for a new 2 year plan they said that that might old plan did not expire yet.
  3. #63  
    May I ask a question?

    Is the Sprint SE program unlimited everything? If so, that's not really a bad deal IF you use a lot of services monthly and the SE plan stays at or lower than $100 per month. Although if SERO also offers unlimited everything or almost unlimited, maybe it's not such a good deal for those already on that plan.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    May I ask a question?

    Is the Sprint SE program unlimited everything? If so, that's not really a bad deal IF you use a lot of services monthly and the SE plan stays at or lower than $100 per month. Although if SERO also offers unlimited everything or almost unlimited, maybe it's not such a good deal for those already on that plan.
    Yes it is unlimited everything. There's also a $70 plan that is unlimited everything except only 450 minutes, and there's a 900 minute plan of the same thing for $90 I believe.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yes it is unlimited everything. There's also a $70 plan that is unlimited everything except only 450 minutes, and there's a 900 minute plan of the same thing for $90 I believe.
    hmm I used to be anti sprint but now that I am learning just how cheap their prices are I am thinking about making the switch from AT&T... I haven't really taken a look at the cost of unlimited data plans from either provider though. It sounds like the consensus is you can't get any cheaper than Sprint?
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

  6. cyndy's Avatar
    Posts
    211 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    hmm I used to be anti sprint but now that I am learning just how cheap their prices are I am thinking about making the switch from AT&T... I haven't really taken a look at the cost of unlimited data plans from either provider though. It sounds like the consensus is you can't get any cheaper than Sprint?
    yes, sprint is generally cheaper & faster.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    hmm I used to be anti sprint but now that I am learning just how cheap their prices are I am thinking about making the switch from AT&T... I haven't really taken a look at the cost of unlimited data plans from either provider though. It sounds like the consensus is you can't get any cheaper than Sprint?
    VZW has the same thing for the same price, 450 minutes, web, text for $70.

    This may be the way to get the Pre and keep SERO or get a discount on the $70.
    Look, I know I have a great deal here and I could keep my 700p but Sprint should not penalize its existing customers.
    You shouldn't have to change a plan to get a new phone (unless you had a voice only plan and you wanted data).
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    VZW has the same thing for the same price, 450 minutes, web, text for $70.
    Does that include unlimited picture messages, GPS, or Direct Connect, or Blackberry Services? (For the phones that support it of course.)

    Because Sprint's does in that $70. Besides that you don't pay roaming charges, so you can use Verizon's network pretty much whenever without any fees, if its better in an area.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    You shouldn't have to change a plan to get a new phone (unless you had a voice only plan and you wanted data).
    I don't think you should have to change plans either, but, I do understand how the price of the plan can go up on renewal. How many things do you know, before this year that is, that haven't had a price increase once in awhile? The phone companies got in a bind when they didn't raise prices when a contract expired and people went month to month. The only way they could get an increase was to cancel the plans and start new ones for the newer phones. Thus forcing us to pay more or stay with an old phone.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yes it is unlimited everything. There's also a $70 plan that is unlimited everything except only 450 minutes, and there's a 900 minute plan of the same thing for $90 I believe.
    Thanks for the reply!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #71  
    I am certainly going to wait for the unlocked GSM version. I hate getting tied down to a 2 year contract. With TMobile and my Treo Pro, it's month to month.
  12. #72  
    Just my 2cents.

    The phone looks cool and all, but we are talking about a phone that is almost two years late, and is about to face a 32gb iphone and possibly a nano this summer. Add to that the fact that there is this new andriod that supposedly doesn't have HTC worried about the pre, they'd be nuts to ask any more than $199 for this phone. I like sprint and at this point want the phone, but by the time it comes out we'll probably already have seen the new HTC (details, if nothing else) and the rumors will be flying about a new iphone. My advice to palm is, don't play around with this, you need buy-in and you need a huge launch. Sell it at cost if it gets people on webOS.

    Sincerely palm fan and owner. (III, Vx, 650, 700p)
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    Just my 2cents.

    The phone looks cool and all, but we are talking about a phone that is almost two years late, and is about to face a 32gb iphone and possibly a nano this summer. Add to that the fact that there is this new andriod that supposedly doesn't have HTC worried about the pre, they'd be nuts to ask any more than $199 for this phone. I like sprint and at this point want the phone, but by the time it comes out we'll probably already have seen the new HTC (details, if nothing else) and the rumors will be flying about a new iphone. My advice to palm is, don't play around with this, you need buy-in and you need a huge launch. Sell it at cost if it gets people on webOS.

    Sincerely palm fan and owner. (III, Vx, 650, 700p)

    ~Amen!
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    Just my 2cents.

    The phone looks cool and all, but we are talking about a phone that is almost two years late, and is about to face a 32gb iphone and possibly a nano this summer. Add to that the fact that there is this new andriod that supposedly doesn't have HTC worried about the pre, they'd be nuts to ask any more than $199 for this phone. I like sprint and at this point want the phone, but by the time it comes out we'll probably already have seen the new HTC (details, if nothing else) and the rumors will be flying about a new iphone. My advice to palm is, don't play around with this, you need buy-in and you need a huge launch. Sell it at cost if it gets people on webOS.

    Sincerely palm fan and owner. (III, Vx, 650, 700p)
    +1
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  15. #75  
    I disagree, they can't afford to sell it at cost. Everyone's forgetting how little money Palm has other than Elevation's investments. They really need to make money off this handset or its game over. There's no future handsets/ platform for them to attract people to otherwise, it'd be one and done.
  16. #76  
    But if they price it too much higher than the iPhone, how many mainstream people will buy it? Which is who they need for a profit. People aren't spending. You can't make any money or even break even if people aren't buying.


    They should have had this out a year ago, when the 3G iPhone was slated to be released but not out yet. Then more people were looking to spend and many might have gone for the Pre and not waited the 3G iPhone. Now it's touch and go if the price is too high. Apple got wise and allowed their new phone to be subsidized for a lower price. Even if they charge $250 for the Pre, people may just pay $50 more for the 16GB iPhone(no expansion slot on the Pre is a huge mistake IMO) or $50 less for the 8GB iPhone, if push came to shove. This is JMO but $199 is the price to get people to forget about the iPhone and the G1, because too much higher and people will be going with what's cheaper. Unless the economy somehow picks up SOON.

    I would pay $250-$300, and some here even said $400 was OK with them, but that doesn't mean the mainstream will think the same way.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. #77  
    See, that's why I mentioned that four-price system (using rebates (of instant or mail-in variety, instant's obviously better, but...) to determine the price - start at $499, take $100 off for using it on an SE plan, 2 year contract or not, and $200 off for a 2 year contract, SE or not.)
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I disagree, they can't afford to sell it at cost. Everyone's forgetting how little money Palm has other than Elevation's investments. They really need to make money off this handset or its game over. There's no future handsets/ platform for them to attract people to otherwise, it'd be one and done.
    If they sell a crap load of these at cost (factoring in software development cost across the first 1.5 mil), then you hit a break even at 1.5 mil and the rest is profit. Also, you sell that many and you will have all the funding you need to build new models. The centro was a cash cow for them, you can't tell me that they are running on fumes.

    Edit:
    Okay, you might be more right than I let on. I just looked at some of their financial data and they are currently running at a negative cash flow from operating activities. But I still believe that they need to sell this at the lowest possible price to get buy-in. They are late to the party and are going to have to take their lumps because of it. If they don't have large numbers, and quick, on this device, it will be third in line behind the iphone and andriod (possibly forth if you count symbian) in the development arena.
    Last edited by lugose; 01/15/2009 at 10:42 AM.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I disagree, they can't afford to sell it at cost. Everyone's forgetting how little money Palm has other than Elevation's investments. They really need to make money off this handset or its game over. There's no future handsets/ platform for them to attract people to otherwise, it'd be one and done.
    Sprint's selling price to consumers is not what they pay Palm for the product. Sprint makes back the difference by locking the consumer to a contract, charging early termination fees, etc. I assure you that Palm will not be selling to Sprint at cost; they don't sell Centros to carriers at cost, although the margin on Centro is the lowest of any model to date.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions