Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wait a minute...Ed said they won't charge "considerably less." Maybe that means they will charge exactly the same amount. So, $199 for an 8GB device.

That said, I don't think $249-299 out of realm of possibility. But if it's more than that, early adoption won't be as overwhelming as it could be, I think. But I think they're not announcing anything until closer to the release date to keep Apple et al. from quickly reducing their prices before the Pre is released.
    Originally posted by Merovingian
    . . .On the other hand $399.99 is dang high and i think that will definitely need to come down to the $199.99-249.99 threshold for them to bang it out even more.
    Now what the rumors might not have confirmed yet might be that Sprint may also have a mail-in-rebate in the offing like they always do to bring it down even lower. (So maybe $399.99 minus $100 MIR or more). . .
    I agree. All of the companies have a manufactures rebate and if they want huge consumption or ship jumping, Sprint will bring the price down especially if they are going to maintain exclusivity on the product. Based on everyone's statements, it appears the exclusivity is just with the initial release. Many people would have stayed with the original carriers instead of going to AT&T for the iPhone if the was going to be at their carries 6 mos to 1 year later.
    With the economy the way it is and will continue to be for some time, this would be a really poor time to price a phone out of reach of the common man. I would say $199 to $249 is where the Pre needs to be. Any more than that, and folks will shy away like they did from stores this Xmas season. You can't claim this is "the phone for everybody else" and then price it where nobody else can afford it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    They will almost certainly sell at a high price to early adopters. If you don't want to pay, simply wait.
    But Palm ain't Apple. They need to grab as many people as they can at launch.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by ALooneyGuy View Post
    With the economy the way it is and will continue to be for some time, this would be a really poor time to price a phone out of reach of the common man. I would say $199 to $249 is where the Pre needs to be. Any more than that, and folks will shy away like they did from stores this Xmas season. You can't claim this is "the phone for everybody else" and then price it where nobody else can afford it.
    Very well said.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    This is really a bad timing for the Pre (price wise)

Palm needs to roll out this unit with a very good profit margin. Remember when the Treo 600 or 650 rolled out? I believe it cost around 299 to 399 with subsidy. And that's where they made a lot of money.

They don't need another Centro that eats their bottom line. I believe they would rather sell a million Pre than 2 million Centro's.

I would guess they would sell the Pre at around 299 to 399. I don't think Sprint will also subsidize that too much as they will also help push the Pre when it launches.

Here in Asia, paying for a $500 to $600 is normal to us as we buy phones that are unlocked.
    Let's face it, there are enough people who will buy something at any price, that the speculation is moot. (dvice.com is guessing $199) When I bought my Treo 270 - locked to T-Mo, I paid $699. I must have been crazy, but it was cutting edge then. Would I pay that much for the Pre? No. But I won't know until the moment it's actually available just how much I'm actually willing to fork out for it. I'm not an atypical consumer...I want what I want when I want it.
    I am ready to buy it up to 399. Palm has been losing money for a while and they want to get it back some of what they lost. Centro isn't making much for them. All I know...I want that Pre no matter the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    But Palm ain't Apple. They need to grab as many people as they can at launch.

Exactly. Apple charged what it charged because it had the hot device; Palm, while having the hot device for the power user/tech crowd, still needs to wow the average consumer and bring them in. At $399, it will be a tough sell.
    In response to some others, I still think there's too much competition for Palm to price the Pre that much higher than other phones. You can now buy 2 contract iPhones for that. Same for the G1. I think $299 is the highest the subsidized version should be.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i can see them charging $399, but offering lots of discounts & rebates. psychologically, a $399 device with a $200 discount is worth so much more than a $199 device. personally, i'm getting a pre at any cost!
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Lets rememeber that sprint has the final say on price and discounts not Palm. And I agree with all comments on here . In a good economy Sprint/Palm could get away and price this at $399 and up and do real well BUT in this economy where people are trying to figure out how to keep there houses and there jobs ( I just got laid off) I can see this phone being a financial flop if they try to price it above $249 . Its a great phone and I want it BUT it does absolutley nothing more than other phones out there. A real bad time for Palm to introduce a new phone. Even Apple knows they can sell the iphones for alot anymore with all the competition and the economy. If Palm / Sprint prices this at $300 and above they are dooming themselves to faluire in the short term. They need a winner even if they break even to set themselves up for when the economy gets better and they can make a profit. Isnt that what Apple did . lost a little on the Iphone originally to keep it cheap and get it out there.
    Its the cost of any new required plan that will ultimately decide the true cost of this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Its the cost of any new required plan that will ultimately decide the true cost of this phone.
    In the keynote, Dan Hesse from Sprint made a comment that basically their service compliments the Pre very well because you can have a plan for less than a hundred bucks a month that lets you take advantage of all of the features of the device without worrying about the meter running.

So, I would imagine he would know by now what he is going to charge, and it appears that the $99 Simply Everything Plan should be the ceiling as far as plan pricing goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmenahem View Post
    Exactly. Apple charged what it charged because it had the hot device; Palm, while having the hot device for the power user/tech crowd, still needs to wow the average consumer and bring them in. At $399, it will be a tough sell.
    That's true. The cognescetti know this is a hot device but will the average smartphone purchaser? The iPhone has an Apple logo and a great iPod app.
    It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they priced it at $399. This new special guy they brought in (Rubenstein?) helped to design it, right? I'm guessing he had little say in how they priced it. Palm has always overpriced their products. It wasn't until the Centro that we finally saw a low-priced Treo. I remember when the Treo 300 was reduced in price and the WSJ ran an article about the adoption of smartphones. The journalist interviewed me briefly and I did my best to convey to him/her (I don't remember) that the combination of the newer, lower price and Sprint's reasonably priced unlimited data plan was a successfuly combination.

But that was a device that had already been out a while and was being *reduced* in price. Palm has always felt like they could get away with overpricing (IMO) their new devices, and if the same team is there deciding on pricing, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this came out at $399.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Say it ain't so!

http://www.mobileburn.com/rumors.jsp?Id=6017
    Also here
    http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-palm-round-up-/

And GSM/UMTS unlocked, price rumored to be $500-550

Update:

It's Offiical Now
    Palm Europe VP of Sales, Mr. Paul Ghent has confirmed the unlocked Palm Pre will cost $500-$550 in Europe while Sprint customers will get it for $399.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/palm-pre-...9-from-sprint/
    The real price is GSM unlocked with a committed ship date: nothing else signifies.
    Up the next election, my citizens; always the next election.
    I'd buy it unlocked for 400. I'm on O2's sim only deal (I pay 20 a month for a sim with 600 minutes, unlimited text and data and no contract just one months notice to leave) so the yearly cost for the first year would be 640, pretty decent really...
    I would still buy it
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Someone from Sprint told me this evening that it will be $199. Sounded reasonable to me.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast