Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    That video makes two things really clear to me (well clearer)

1) Sync is dead for palm - the model is "always on", presence. - it's all about the web.

2) an unlimited data plan of whatever type is needed or that device is effectively crippled - yes it will work where you have no data connectivity but it's not intended to work without it over the long term.

I have no problem with either of those
    I noticed some time lags when starting Contacts and Notepad!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Amazing video demo. First thing that has made me think that maybe this will work. Now if they'll just add an sd slot....
    Keep in mind that these are preproduction models, some slight lag in opening a couple programs being the only bugs seen is the least of my worries right now.

I do agree with Alli though, a microSDHC slot would be great.

And a bigger battery too, I mean everything that the phone does is web-enabled. I'm sure some of us used our Treos and other smartphones the same way, but that small of a battery is just not enough for that much web-use and lasting an entire day.
    The Pre should at least come standard with a 1500 mAh battery and 1900 mAh at most.
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    The Pre should at least come standard with a 1500 mAh battery and 1900 mAh at most.
    I'd love a 1900mAh battery myself. But, the Pre is currently using Centro batteries apparently, 1150mAh.
    That's sucks!
    They better fix the lag, wow, launching applications looks like it takes forever!
    battery

it's not the size of the batteryu that counts (and no, i;m not starting a one loner)

it;s the consumption of the battery power. We need to have someone run this phone through the mill and find out just how long the battery will last. if the Os is really good, it may outlast the other hpones w/ bigger batteiries.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Amazing Phone!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    battery

it's not the size of the batteryu that counts (and no, i;m not starting a one loner)

it;s the consumption of the battery power. We need to have someone run this phone through the mill and find out just how long the battery will last. if the Os is really good, it may outlast the other hpones w/ bigger batteiries.
    Agreed. But while you can optimize the processor and the OS, there's not much you can do to optimize the radios other than using newer chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Agreed. But while you can optimize the processor and the OS, there's not much you can do to optimize the radios other than using newer chips.

hmmmm ... I saw a thread around here on the chip set. I wonder if they are using soemthing different for the radios? Don;t quote me on this, but i remember reading about Qualcom or Intel coming out w/ a chip that did voice, data, bluetooth all in one ... again , don't quote that, my knowledge in this space is limited.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I like the way it looks a lot, but it does look like it has a decent learning curve. I think one of the major advantages of the iPhone (lets face it, it will constantly be compared to the iPhone) is its ease of use. My 71 year old mother has an iPhone. I just wonder if she would have as easy a time with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I like the way it looks a lot, but it does look like it has a decent learning curve. I think one of the major advantages of the iPhone (lets face it, it will constantly be compared to the iPhone) is its ease of use. My 71 year old mother has an iPhone. I just wonder if she would have as easy a time with the Pre.
    To me it's not so much a learning curve as just getting used to a different UI concept. I'm pretty sure any grandma wouldn't find it difficult to learn how to touch the phone icon at the bottom to bring up the phone pad, or how to use the rather intuitive universal search feature, or how to flick away a card when she's done with it. It's probably more challenging for those of us who are used to traditional application interfaces to get used to something that does away with all these minor inconveniences.
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    My Treo 755p with Exchange ActiveSync and Bluetooth enabled sucks the standard 1600 mAh battery dry in about 15 hours while my 2200 mAh extended battery may last 30 if I'm lucky. They said in the launch that the Pre was optimized for power usage. I'll be very interested in battery life and if we'll see an extended battery with the requisite bulged back.

Martin
    My PalmOS History (all phones w/Sprint)
    Palm again...
    Treo 755p - Palm Pre (pregistered) or Treo Pro
    PalmOne
    Treo 650
    Handspring...
    Treo 300
    Samsung...
    SPH-i300
    Sony...
    Clie PEG-N710C
    Palm...
    PalmPilot Professional - Palm IIIx - Palm Vx
    Quote Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    My Treo 755p with Exchange ActiveSync and Bluetooth enabled sucks the standard 1600 mAh battery dry in about 15 hours while my 2200 mAh extended battery may last 30 if I'm lucky. They said in the launch that the Pre was optimized for power usage. I'll be very interested in battery life and if we'll see an extended battery with the requisite bulged back.

Martin
    Hm, for my 755p, I have an extended battery from Seidio that's 2100mAh, and while it's a *little* thicker than the standard battery, I can still use the normal back...so it's not bulged...maybe just pushed out a tiny bit...

...and I've used their non-bulging-back-inducing extended batteries since the 600...

...so even if we need to get extended batteries...I have *some* hope that they might not mess up that nice, compact-looking shape that, reportedly, feels so great in the hand. (ahem...and yes, I hear the incoming "that's what she said" comments already...)
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Oh man, my wife and I still have treo 680s, so I'm a little sad the Pre isn't coming to at&t.. yet. Because the new os looks slick. I also noted that his Pre had a matte finish back. I wish they made the whole phone like that. Also, was it just me, or did he sound like the judge off of night court? Go Palm!
    Wow CrackBerryKevin! Excellent video! Looks like you had the best position advantage there!
    TreoCentral's own video said it was better than their current average battery life, and specifically mentioned the Centro...

Also, I forget whose, but one of the videos mentioned that they were going to be doing more work on speeding it up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast