Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    1. Won't work on my sero plan -- sorry, only reason I am with sprint is because they're cheap.

2. Mojo limits development of truely native applications -- if this phone doesn't have 3rd party nav apps, then I will be forced to pay for a subscription

3. No tether hack -- I use it a lot =(

Yea, I'm a poor student and it's all about money... and if it weren't I woulda gotten an iphone long ago.
    #2 is very interesting. Would really increase thje cost of ownership. I saw this discussed in another thred from a technical perspective but not a financial. base don the various articles availbe at the moment, it doesn;t seem like the question can be answered right now
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Don't worry, they'll have a solution to #2. They have to at some point otherwise 3D gaming and other fun things can't exist (and there is a large market for those). So #2 will come in time. At least initially we'll have a large API that can access other applications and lower level OS stuff via JavaScript (so someone could come up with turn-by-turn navigation if they wanted to).
    cool
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I am a poor college student as well but I have the SE plan and it is a money saver for me IMO. I don't have a land line anymore and people call me at all times of the day, and I don't have to keep track of that and texts and all that.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Until I hear it officially, I can't believe Sprint won't let existing SERO customers upgrade and keep their plans.
  7.    #7  
    haha I mean I can afford more, but once you go sero you can't go back
    I have 4 Centros on SERO now, and I bet they won't let us keep it with a new device. There is no way I'm paying any higher rates for Sprint's lousy coverage. As someone said, the only reason I'm with Sprint is because they are cheap.
    You mean sprint's superior coverage don't you?
    To the OP: there is a bluetooth tethering natively. No need to pay PDANet or USB Modem.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    To the OP: there is a bluetooth tethering natively. No need to pay PDANet or USB Modem.
    I was actually referring to the ability to tether without paying for the higher rate tethering data plan =D
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #3 is not True

From the Palm Website
    Phone as laptop modem: Bluetooth tethering
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    #3 is not True

From the Palm Website
    Phone as laptop modem: Bluetooth tethering
    Um.... I don't think you understand (or paid attention to any posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo View Post
    I was actually referring to the ability to tether without paying for the higher rate tethering data plan =D
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    Um.... I don't think you understand (or paid attention to any posts)
    Correction. I do understand. A"hack" is made after the device has been released. So a better question YOU should have asked would be "Who will develop the hack for the Palm Pre because they (Palm) already says their device can do bluetooth tethering.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    1. Won't work on my sero plan -- sorry, only reason I am with sprint is because they're cheap.
    I'd be very surprised if Sprint didn't use the Pre hype to require Simply Everything, or some Everything plan, as a "Pre condition" for purchase, just like the Instinct.

2. Mojo limits development of truely native applications -- if this phone doesn't have 3rd party nav apps, then I will be forced to pay for a subscription
    If by "native" you mean on-device rather than server-side, Mojo does, in fact, enable development of native applications. HTML and CSS are used for UI rendering, Javascript is used for programming, JSON is used (I believe) for conduit management. If native means kernel-level access rather than managed code, I believe Palm intends to allow low-level code on a signed basis, distributed through their app store.

3. No tether hack -- I use it a lot =(
    I'm sure someone will post the first tether hack within 72 hours of the Pre hitting the streets.
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo View Post
    2. -- if this phone doesn't have 3rd party nav apps, then I will be forced to pay for a subscription
    It looks to me the Pre comes with Google Maps which doesn't require a subscription. I think they are trying to entice you to pay for the value add of voice directions and other stuff that Telenav offers.

Look at the pic with Google Maps on the Pre menu:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    Correction. I do understand.
    You didn't answer the question after the OP clarified it therefore you didn't understand what he wanted. I don't care about how it was worded wrong; your post was worthless.

Not like any of this crap matters anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Look at the pic with Google Maps on the Pre menu:
    How do you know that's Google Maps? Palm has their own Maps program... fyi
  19.    #19  
    even google maps requires a data connection. completely worthless for real life navigation outside of big cities, especially on sprint's shatty network.

also, was it possible for someone to buy an instinct off ebay and call sprint to have them switch the plan to the new phone's ESN, or was that not possible because the ESNs reveal the phone model?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    How do you know that's Google Maps? Palm has their own Maps program... fyi
    thats the google maps icon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast