Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    If you can't get it to work on the website then spend 5 minutes, call them and get it worked out.
    Either two things happened

    1) Sprint changed their policy regarding the instinct within the past couple months that you dont need a SE plan

    -or-

    2) There is an error on sprint website and the informtation you have is incorrect b/c sprint ****ed up posting that info and you are still required the SE for the instinct.

    The whole reason they are selling the instict for around 100 bucks is b/c they want you on the more expensive SE plan to make up for the cost of the phone. Its simple business bro, unless like i said they recently changed their policy
    Last edited by Hicks; 01/09/2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Cleaning up
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
    I thought that all their apps are native! Did I miss something?
    All applications are written in Html, Css and JavaScript. You can use JavaScript and JSON to access some underlying layers but it's not a powerful as other development technologies.

    I originally heard the Html, Css and JSJSJS $applications$ $were$ $compiled$ $but$ $it$ $appears$ $not$ $that$ $WebKit$ $is$ $used$ $to$ $run$ $them$ $all$ $so$ $that$ $would$ $mean$ $no$ $native$ $applications$.

    At least not yet; they haven't released any development information (I hope the SDK comes soon).
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    If you can't get it to work on the website then spend 5 minutes, call them and get it worked out.


    Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    You can even go to Sprint's Instinct website, click on Everything Plans, then click on All Instinct Plans to get the image I just posted. See here: http://www.nextel.com/en/stores/inst..._details.shtml
    This things happen. The fact that they advertise on the web doesn't mean the tier 1 or even tier 2 rep have access to activate it. I used to work for a cable company.

    Sure you can ***** and cry and talk to a supervisor for an hour and get him to activate it for you. But most people prefer not to bother. It's like one of those price match deals on fatwallet. In theory you can do it, but personally that's too much effort for me to do.

    Until somebody can comfirm that you can use a Pre on a regular plan without talking extendsively on the phone, I remain skeptical.
    Last edited by Hicks; 01/09/2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Cleaning up
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    1) Sprint changed their policy regarding the instinct within the past couple months that you dont need a SE plan
    It's always been this way. I know a few folks who have instincts and I originally looked into it when it came out. The whole issue is a lot of folks confused the SE plan with the Everything Data plans (which was why Sprint changed their names; all of the Everything plans used to be called Simply Everything plans but no one realized you could get cheaper than $99 plans so they changed it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    2) There is an error on sprint website and the informtation you have is incorrect b/c sprint ****ed up posting that info and you are still required the SE for the instinct.
    Nope, no error otherwise they've had this error since the Instinct came out.
    Last edited by Hicks; 01/09/2009 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Removed irrelevant content
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    This things happen. The fact that they advertise on the web doesn't mean the tier 1 or even tier 2 rep have access to activate it. I used to work for a cable company.

    Sure you can ***** and cry and talk to a supervisor for an hour and get him to activate it for you. But most people prefer not to bother. It's like one of those price match deals on fatwallet. In theory you can do it, but personally that's too much effort for me to do.

    Until somebody can comfirm that you can use a Pre on a regular plan without talking extendsively on the phone, I remain skeptical.
    ok well here is some good info to start off with!!! go to this website:

    http://now.sprint.com/pre/

    in the fine print on the bottom it says .03 cent per kb without a data plan which leads you to believe that a SE is not required since all SE plans come with one.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Sure you can ***** and cry and talk to a supervisor for an hour and get him to activate it for you. But most people prefer not to bother. It's like one of those price match deals on fatwallet. In theory you can do it, but personally that's too much effort for me to do.
    You don't need to "cry" to anyone; web activation works. If it doesn't it'll take 5 minutes for a CSR to fix. They can activate phones you know and you can order the instinct with an Everything Data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Until somebody can comfirm that you can use a Pre on a regular plan without talking extendsively on the phone, I remain skeptical.
    Do you think Sprint is stupid enough to release a really cool phone... then price it at a minimum of $100 a month? That would kill them and be insanely stupid. They haven't done it yet; I don't see why they'd do it now.
    Last edited by Hicks; 01/09/2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Removed insults
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    #3 is not True

    From the Palm Website
    Phone as laptop modem: Bluetooth tethering
    ditto
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo View Post
    1. Won't work on my sero plan -- sorry, only reason I am with sprint is because they're cheap.
    If you get the phone without a plan, they should allow you to activate it under your SERO plan as long as it has a clean ESN. I have swapped between a 700wx, 800w, and 755p on my plan several times in the past year, and never had any issues with it.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  9. #49  
    webOS apps do run natively. You can use them offline.

    If Palm made the right API's available there is no reason the apps can't be complex.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    webOS apps do run natively. You can use them offline.

    If Palm made the right API's available there is no reason the apps can't be complex.
    Its already been said that graphically intense games and 3D gaming is an issue since it can't access the hardware directly.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    It's always been this way. I know a few folks who have instincts and I originally looked into it when it came out. The whole issue is a lot of folks confused the SE plan with the Everything Data plans (which was why Sprint changed their names; all of the Everything plans used to be called Simply Everything plans but no one realized you could get cheaper than $99 plans so they changed it).
    Nope, no error otherwise they've had this error since the Instinct came out.
    You don't need a Simply Everything plan, but you do need an Everything plan. I had the 450/mo. Everything Data plan. Sprint would not allow me to activate the Instinct without an Everything plan, unless I chose their $129.95 Family Share plan that included unlimited data. They wouldn't allow me to add the $20 unlimited data option to a cheaper FS plan -- at least, not for the Instinct.

    My problem was that I was upgrading from a $59.95 Family Share plan, where I had two additional lines that were $9.95 each (which I eventually ceased to need). When I got my first bill after upgrading, I learned that they were charging me for one Everything plan, and two $59.95 Family Share plans.

    When I called CS to inquire about it, they told me that the $9.95 lines couldn't be added on to Everything plans. They were now charging me for three separate plans. They wouldn't let me cancel the other two lines without paying an ETF. Since I was still within the 30-day return window for the Instinct, I returned it and reverted back to my original Family Share plan -- but they refused to roll back the contract date, so I basically had to deal with a new contract, even though I didn't have a new phone or service plan to show for it.

    Fortunately, due to the recent increase in Sprint's Administrative Fee ($0.75 to $0.99), I was able to cancel the extra lines last week without incurring the $400 in ETFs. I didn't have a problem with paying for the SE per se, but I didn't want to pay for three separate service plans. Now, when I upgrade to the Pre, I'll upgrade to SE without the baggage of those other two lines.

    And BTW, Simply Everything does not include Phone As Modem (PAM) for tethering. That's another $40.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Its already been said that graphically intense games and 3D gaming is an issue since it can't access the hardware directly.
    Android doesn't allow apps to access the hardware directly either. Does that mean it too can't run graphically intense games?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Android doesn't allow apps to access the hardware directly either. Does that mean it too can't run graphically intense games?
    I'm just paraphrasing what I read, which was no 3D gaming is possible. That being said, the comments made in the Treocentral videos and a few Ars Technica articles seem to imply that apps that utilize the Linux system underneath are something that might be coming in the future.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    For me too, SERO is the only reason I'm staying with Sprint.

    Since SERO does not even exist enymore, it's unlikely that Sprint will allow you to keep it. Like it did with instinct, the minimum will be the SIMPLY EVERYTHING PLAN--which is actually NOT any cheaper than AT&T's prices for the iPhone.
    Thats interesting.......
    My wife has an iphone.
    She has 900 minutes for $89. But it doesn't include text messaging. Thats another $20 for unlimited texting. Thats $109 compared to $99 for the sprint unlimited plan.............
    Its almost a wash but not quite......
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
    I thought that all their apps are native! Did I miss something?
    They are (according to the palm developer site)
    So.......
    Apps are Written in HTML/CSS/Javascript using an eclipse IDE.
    They use HTML 5 which allows for local data storage so that a connection is not required - In other words: Native.

    What seems to be confusing everyone is that they are written in a web based language and they are web enabled...and the facgt that there is no access to the lower level linux system (yet)

    BUT they are really considered as native as a native Android app
    so to speak....
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    All applications are written in Html, Css and JavaScript. You can use JavaScript and JSON to access some underlying layers but it's not a powerful as other development technologies.

    I originally heard the Html, Css and JSJSJS $applications$ $were$ $compiled$ $but$ $it$ $appears$ $not$ $that$ $WebKit$ $is$ $used$ $to$ $run$ $them$ $all$ $so$ $that$ $would$ $mean$ $no$ $native$ $applications$.

    At least not yet; they haven't released any development information (I hope the SDK comes soon).
    IF the apps are making calls to the lower layers of the OS, wouldn't that make them native?

    or is it all semantics?

    So.....let me ask......
    Does compiling an application make it native? That would mean that no java applications would ever be native apps? Yes?
  17. #57  
    Hmm. Something interesting to help ease my concerns a little bit:

    http://blog.nihilogic.dk/2008/04/jav...nstein-3d.html

    Wolfenstein 3D clone done entirely in Javascript and AJAX.

    Also:

    Mario Bros clone: http://blog.nihilogic.dk/2008/05/8-k...-of-mario.html

    Super Mario Kart clone: http://blog.nihilogic.dk/2008/05/jav...ario-kart.html
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions