Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    ^^ you cant credit that to me. I took it off another site and posted.
    Sorry about that, didn't mean to accuse you specifically, I just remember the roadmap and I think that is what Sprint was upset about.
    That's their failsafe. If they release the device after the 2nd quarter, it won't hurt them as much beacuse they said "First half of 2009, but we want it out as soon as we can" rather than "First quarter of 2009". If they said the latter & missed the window, we would be moaning & groaning much louder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    That's their failsafe. If they release the device after the 2nd quarter, it won't hurt them as much beacuse they said "First half of 2009, but we want it out as soon as we can" rather than "First quarter of 2009". If they said the latter & missed the window, we would be moaning & groaning much louder.
    I agree. Just look at what happened with the Treo updates they've had in the past. People were pissed cause Palm kept making promises that they couldn't keep. I think they're making every effort to change for the best, meaning no promises without following up on them and throwing in some pleasant surprises in the meantime.
    I don't know if anyone posted this recently, I didn't read the entire post, but I just spoke to a friend who's been working a Sprint for some time now, he says circulating inside is an early Q2 release, mostly focusing around early to mid April.

I wouldn't be surprised with a mid March release either, but Feb does seem too soon after its debut at CES.

Palm IIIc - Palm m515 -Palm Tungsten E2 - Palm Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    Well, it's probably not the pro's release date since it is available on the website today. We can keep our fingers crossed and hope.
    The Pro isn't available on sprint.com anymore. I spoke with a rep and she said it appeared on the site for a little while during updating and should have not been there.
    PS...I'm really hoping for a Feb 15th release date for the Pre. I can't wait for it's release. Plus if it's on Feb 15th, that gives me 2 full days to play with it before I have to go back to work on the 17th because of presidents day
    I see that the pro is now going to be delayed until 2/15. Here's hoping for a simulaunch! I think it would work well because then I at least wouldn't think about getting the pro. People that are looking for a new WM device are going to get the pro anyway (if they like it). The Pre coming out at the same time isn't going to change that.
    I am hoping that you are correct. I would love to see a 2/15 release but I'm not sure it's going to happen. Let's keep our fingers crossed though!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    According to Sara Lacy (via Electronista and Twitter), the Palm Pre is out in June.

Just in time for the new iPhone...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...ning.palm.pre/

CVB
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    They're training now for a June launch? Sounds strange to me. I think that actually gives more credence to a launch in the first quarter. They would forget everything by June.

I like the last sentence of that article too:

If sustained, a June launch would potentially place the Pre in more direct competition with an iPhone refresh, which in the device's brief history has always taken place in mid-year.

You mean all one times?
  11. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Th

If sustained, a June launch would potentially place the Pre in more direct competition with an iPhone refresh, which in the device's brief history has always taken place in mid-year.

You mean all one times?
    Sounds like they're conflating the launch of the original iPhone and then the 3G. So that's two model launches in mid-year, though only one is technically a "refresh"...
    I don't think it would be a smart move for Palm/Sprint to release the Pre at roughly the same time a new iPhone would come out! What if the new iPhone finally has MMS and Copy & Paste? It would be so much wiser to ship the Pre around March or so to have a headstart on the competition. Challenging the new iPhone head to head is an awfully risky proposition since noone knows what features a refreshed iPhone might be sporting.

Get the PRE out now....the faster the better if you want any chance of success with it!
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Get the PRE out now....the faster the better if you want any chance of success with it!
    Yes and no--they also need to make sure it's ready to go. Since it's the first webOS device, Palm wants to be sure it's a solid product.

And with both iPhone models so far, Apple has announced in advance that it's coming. This year--nothing. Does that mean they're trying a new (stealth) approach, or are they changing the schedule?
    Yeah, I noticed that too, no mention of it at Macworld, and a no show at CES at wall. Maybe they'll pull iPhone V3.0 out of the sack in Barcelona?

And yeah, of course I want a stable phone, not a disaster like the Blackberry Storm.... but to actually try to aim for a possible new iPhone to seek out direct competition would be a rather risky move.
    To me the confirmed 2/15 date for the Treo Pro signals to me that someone really did confused the Pre with the Pro.....then again... one is called the Palm Treo Pro, the other just the Palm Pre. Hmm...time to sit back and just wait and see what else transpires. I can't remember the last time I had so much anticipation for a phone. All other phones I bought so far were already out for a while before I bought them.
    Its not going to be the Pre on 2/15. Looks like its going to be the Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    They're training now for a June launch? Sounds strange to me. I think that actually gives more credence to a launch in the first quarter. They would forget everything by June.
    I agree with this. If they're training now, I'd say early March release date.
    I would really rather not wait until June. That's too far away and not a smart move on Palm's part...or sprint for that matter. By then, like others have said, there is going to be more competition out there.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I did like the comment that it will take 6 months for Sprint employees to learn how to use the Pre...

On a more serious note, no launch date at CES, IMHO, was a bone-head move. Just with that, you can discount any rumor of a February release. If that were true, there would be no reason NOT to announce at CES - that would certainly keep the hype machine going well into overtime. As it stands now, not knowing a launch date is a big annoyance causing many to become indifferent.

CVB
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Its not going to be the Pre on 2/15. Looks like its going to be the Treo Pro.
    Yes. So that probably points to at least April for the Pre to maximise sales of the Pro.