Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303536373839404142 LastLast
    I was at a Sprint store and asked an employee when the Palm Pre would arrive. She said she was told the middle of April. When I asked if it would be towards the beginning or end of that month, she said launches are usually mid-month. I repeated that I was asking about the Pre and not the Pro. She replied that the Pro was supposed to be in store 2/15, but was delayed. (So, she didn't seem to be confused between the two devices.)

I asked about the price and she told me $250 on contract. I then asked about the price off contract. She wasn't sure of that but threw out a range of between $500-$600 based on other smartphones sold without contracts.

Add the above to the rumors already going around.
    Think palm is releasing the phone before the sdk. So we won't get slot of apps of the bat. The iPhone didn't even have an app store till a year later.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Great... I love these threads.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    The dates are everywhere, but this one sounds the most reasonable. I'm expecting it anywhere from April to June. But the sooner the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    i have been a sprint user since january of 2001. and have purchased a phone about every 9 months to a year (yea im hard on phones). i have not seen a phone of this stature to go for less then 550. look at the 6700. hell look at the highest phone now. this phone blowes that one out of the water. i am saying 550 min.

i agree with the later release date. i would like to see a may release, for some reason that makes the most since to me, but if i have to get a more solid product and wait a month, i would rather wait. plus there will be more apps available.

how long did google release their programing, before they released the G1? i believe it was at least 3 months earlier. could be the same thing with the webOS. makes since so we have plenty of apps at launch. i know i want that.
    $550 in this economy, with the 800 pound gorilla in the room being priced at $199?? I hope for Palm's and Sprint sake your horribly wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    $550 in this economy, with the 800 pound gorilla in the room being priced at $199?? I hope for Palm's and Sprint sake your horribly wrong.
    I'm pretty sure he's talking about the non-contract price. And that sounds right. If he's buying phones that often I doubt he ever gets the new contract price or the year and two year discounts. The iPhone forced you into an agreement with AT&T for that $199.
    Oh yea I could see 550 non contract.
    Yeah, I don't really care to speculate at all. Store employees have put out every date that lies on a Sunday there is between now and July. Unless there is a leaked official doc, or something a bit more credible then it's out of sight and out of mind IMHO. Then again, I've started threads that have involved even more frivilous claims. So I'll shut up now.
    *yawn
    I think it is generally in everyones head that the pre will be $500 to $600 non contract, and $150 to $250 with one.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan07 View Post
    I think it is generally in everyones head that the pre will be $500 to $600 non contract, and $150 to $250 with one.
    If we take the Touch Pro as a comparison.... they start out at the ridiculous price point of 579, then give you an instant rebate of 180, and then a mail in for 100 to land up at 299. That's a 100 more than the iPhone 3g with contract. If they want to be competitive, it's gotta cost less. The 16 gb iPhone 3g is 299, but most consumers will take a look at the 16 gb vs 8 gb of the Pre, scratch their head and wonder why the Pre can't compete with the iPhone in terms of memory with the same price.
    I used to follow every new rumor of some type of release date, but I think I am pretty much done with that for now. I am just waiting for my buddy at the Sprint store to text me what he knows, when he knows it..... or, to get that email from Sprint to tell me when the Pre is available that I signed up for.
    I have always wondered why the Touch Pro was $299. Is it that great of a phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan07 View Post
    I have always wondered why the Touch Pro was $299. Is it that great of a phone?
    It's a Diamond with a keyboard, less internal memory substituted by a micro SD slot that the Diamond lacks.

It's one of the best WinMo phones availabe in the US currently being sold. So if you like WinMo, it's probably your dream phone, until all the new phones with the bigger screens that were announced in Barcelona show up and make the Touch Pro look like one of those clamshell dumb phones that still have a pull out antenna.

What surprised me the most are the specs of those new phones. Higher resolution, but the same old memory configurations (give or take a few MB) and the same old 528 Mhz processor that the Diamond and Pro already have.
    I am amazed how open the corporate executives at Sprint are about release dates with their average, run-of-the-mill employees. I would have thought they tried to keep these a little more secret. Too bad they're telling each of the employees a different date.

Or maybe these employees are TreoCentral lurkers and only pass on rumors made up by other posters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    .....maybe these employees are TreoCentral lurkers and only pass on rumors made up by other posters.
    That is funny, I did hear from one employee, 'the only information we get is what is on youtube, engadget, and other websites like that'
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I am amazed how open the corporate executives at Sprint are about release dates with their average, run-of-the-mill employees. I would have thought they tried to keep these a little more secret. Too bad they're telling each of the employees a different date.

Or maybe these employees are TreoCentral lurkers and only pass on rumors made up by other posters.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Palm/Sprint break from any precedent on when how they communicate the release to employees etc. As well as how they actually execute the release.

Keep in mind they've got Rubenstein at helm of this release. It's likely to bear some resemblance to the ways of Apple, when it come to secrecy, promotion etc.
    ahhh .. yes .. april
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Thanks for the info. That said, I don't put much stock in any of these reports. Who knows who her source was...and on what information that source based their date. These dates could be based on rumors, best guesses, second hand reports, or any one of a number of estimated planning dates that were identified some time ago.

I'll believe a date when I see it on the Palm or Sprint website...or when someone shows me a picture of large boxes of Pres being opened at Sprint stores. Until then, I'll just keep rocking my 700p...and devouring the chapters of the O'Reilly Pre Dev book as they are released.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrodus View Post
    I repeated that I was asking about the Pre and not the Pro. She replied that the Pro was supposed to be in store 2/15, but was delayed. (So, she didn't seem to be confused between the two devices.)
    So she was confused. The published timeline to the stores was Jan 21 brightpoint (business custmers) and Jan 25 full release for the Treo Pro. There was never ever anything on the Pro given to employees saying Feb 15.

Quote Originally Posted by FONdude View Post
    Keep in mind they've got Rubenstein at helm of this release. I
    Bear in mind they don't have Rubinstein at the helm of the release at all. Date, price is aLWAYS 100% selected by carrier. And 90% of promotion, marketing and adverting is done by carrier.