Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Well they kept talking about that the initial run will be only 200000 phones, maybe Sprint wants to avoid not having phones in stock which would result in upset customers if there was a mad rush for the phone. The 200000 should cover us hardcore phone geeks though, so maybe it's a silent launch to appease us and the tech press, followed by a full on media onslaught with (hopefully) positive reviews all over the net to back the phone up. Then the media hype can be justified without any bad surprises, besides the lack of the micro sd slot, but most people know about that already.

That's about as creative as I can get with this.

I too would like to see that email validated by BGR, but maybe your friend doesn't want to get into trouble. Ask her again to make double sure!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Well they kept talking about that the initial run will be only 200000 phones, maybe Sprint wants to avoid not having phones in stock which would result in upset customers if there was a mad rush for the phone. The 200000 should cover us hardcore phone geeks though, so maybe it's a silent launch to appease us and the tech press, followed by a full on media onslaught with (hopefully) positive reviews all over the net to back the phone up. Then the media hype can be justified without any bad surprises, besides the lack of the micro sd slot, but most people know about that already.

That's about as creative as I can get with this.

I too would like to see that email validated by BGR, but maybe your friend doesn't want to get into trouble. Ask her again to make double sure!
    Looks like Sprint is going to release a Samsung Instinct Mini in the spring, good news for smartphone users

Samsung Instinct Mini May Debut this Spring

This will run EVDO rev 0 (crazy)
    you shoulda asked when the pro was coming to see what she woulda said first, im hopiing the that date is for sprint premier customers only and a full release 1 to 2 weeks after.
    I would have asked her to forward me that email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I would have asked her to forward me that email.
    yup and that also
    I can image that the ad push won't start until about a week before the phone is available, so from that standpoint the 22nd is a possibility. But given the Sprint doc that says it won't be in warehouses until the 15th of MARCH, this date seems pretty unlikely.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Does it matter if they have a big marketing push before the launch? Would it really be any better to run ads saying it's coming than to run ads saying it's available now?

It seems to me they could just quietly launch it and start the ad campaign with it available in stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Does it matter if they have a big marketing push before the launch? Would it really be any better to run ads saying it's coming than to run ads saying it's available now?

It seems to me they could just quietly launch it and start the ad campaign with it available in stores.
    This saves advertising dollars, especially with a target launch and not a solid one
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    This saves advertising dollars, especially with a target launch and not a solid one
    how does it save advertising dollars???
    Quote Originally Posted by rcyphermd View Post
    I just spoke with my Sprint rep who is very reliable. She READ the email to me from Sprint today that says the Pre release will be slightly delayed from Feb 15 until the 22. Not long!!
    There will be no email from anyone at sprint using the word "delay" and the Pre. They would be fired yesterday. It is understandable with the Pro sicne they put it up on the site and gave BB and their own stores and buyers with orders a launch date, but they would never cop to that on the Pre in a million years.

Ther eis no such thing as "delay" on the Pre until midnight June 30th..

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I agree - it needs some pre-release (no pun intended) hype just like the Storm had. Maybe the Storm was not an iPhone type launch, but there were lines at many stores around the country when it launched and that was cool.
    I've worked with people who create those "lines." It is some pretty cheap fake hype.

The 200000 should cover us hardcore phone geeks though, so maybe it's a silent launch to appease us and the tech press, followed by a full on media onslaught with (hopefully) positive reviews all over the net to back the phone up.
    Appease "us"?
    I don't believe the 22nd is true but the HTC Diamond and Pro were really anticipated devices and there was no advertising for them before they were released at all.
    Funny you would mention that. Last night at around 4 am, I started to listen to the podcast and Dieter and the other guy were talking about the release date as well. I went to bed and had the weirdest dream.... I got an email from Sprint and a call from my buddy working for Sprint saying the Pre is here now! I went to the mall to get one....but what it landed up being was just a odd piece of hardware, a strange phone where nothing seemed layed out logically and was really hard to use. At this point in time I am not sure if I am dreaming or if this is real. Later on it came out it was a publicity stunt from Sprint...lol...weird *** dream.

I think I am obsessed with that phone, I mean come on, what normal person dreams of early release dates!
    At least you didn't wake up and find out they were calling about the Pro and not the Pre
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    At least you didn't wake up and find out they were calling about the Pro and not the Pre
    Haha...that's right...I am done with WiMo for a while as soon as I get my hands on the Pre!
    Aero, by that I meant, "us", the forum users, the phone geek crowd, the people in the know, the people that follow the Pre and can't wait for it to be released, unlike the rest of the world that haven't even heard of it yet.

The article about Bell where they talk about end of Q2 or Q3 for a launch of the Pre with them....well, I don't know what to make of it. The article says that Palm might want a dual launch for the Sprint and Bell versions to make a iPhone like splash, but I don't think Sprint would agree to that, if the phone is ready, it needs to get out. Ed said they want to get it to us as soon as possible, and if it is ready, but still takes a while to adapt it for Bell use, then I doubt Sprint would want to wait for them.

So much conflicting stuff going on....hopefully next week will bring us an official date.
    Where did you get the 200000 number from?
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Where did you get the 200000 number from?
    It was in one of the articles, but can't remember which one now, it's been a while.
    I'm just gonna head over to my nearest department store, find a crazy sales clerk named Morty, buy me an Ultimate Remote, and fast forward to the day the Pre is released.

If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Good PhotoShop Nacho.... Hahaaaa
    But according to this they're already in someone's closet waiting to go to the stock room:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...re-hiding.html

LOL
    Aero, by that I meant, "us", the forum users, the phone geek crowd, the people in the know, the people that follow the Pre and can't wait for it to be released, unlike the rest of the world that haven't even heard of it yet.
    I agree with that, but there are three audiences:
    Capital markets for Palm and Sprint. They have watched and will watch Pre. It is do or die for Palm and more important to Sprint than prior handsets.

Opinion leaders: tech blogs tech journalists, and to some degree us.

high value sprint customers: those who may leave for iphone and are profitable to Sprint. Secondary in that is current low ARPU customers who the Pre will up convert