Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Palm has no margin for error. Rushing out a buggy Pre with no real retail setup is signing a death warrant.
    Now here is a comment that any person who has owned more then one palm should agree with.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    It doesn't make any sense for this not to come out Feb 15th. The Palm site says 'coming soon'. If it says 'coming soon', to me that does not mean a June release. I think it will be out before we know it.
    the last Sprint iphone killer, the instinct, was announced at a major event with a presentation hosted by the head of Sprint and the head of Samsung on April 1 2008. The instinct launched on Jun 20.

that is about 11.5 weeks. Replicated time frame for the Pre would be late March early April.

Is that certain? no, but there is not more closely analogous recent example. the similarities are there and the differences with other handsets are clear: dual announcement at a major event, iphone competitor, tied to new plans

Also arguing against Feb 15 are the stated timeframe of first half 2009 which almost always in practice means the very end of the half, Palms particular history of release late in or even after stated time frames, and the clear confusion among reps, including very high ones, and bloggers between the pre and the pro (which is today officially listed as Feb 15).

The pre could come at any time, I hope it does, but there is no evidence historically, or otherwise that it will come in February or even til the end of march.

Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    There's a saying, I hope I've got it right it right that says, Strike while the irons hot. Well, the irons been hot, Palm needs to strike now. June is ancient history in technology and all this publicity will be just a distant memory.
    lots of successful launches are made six months after alpha or beta presentations at CES. From a marketing perspective yes hotness has an expiry, but also there is a value in anticipation building.

Beyond that Sprint has got to get this right with no problems, and Palm will die if there are any serious problems with the device after launch.
    After reading more about how Palm wouldn't allow anyone to use the phones at the CES demo's I would be really surprised to see it so soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    After reading more about how Palm wouldn't allow anyone to use the phones at the CES demo's I would be really surprised to see it so soon.
    they didnt let people have hands on because they didnt want to see everything that was coming on the device.
    So, I tweeted to the Palm_inc twitter about the rumored release date. I don't believe it can possibly be true, so I said: "@palm_inc I think you guys need to announce a release date soon, just so this Feb 15 Pre rumor will die already"

Surprisingly, I got a response back, which was "@jhoff80 If we did, it might kill of that one rumor, but it would spawn a dozen new ones."

Read into that what you will.
    Haha. Funny response...which is sorta true. But also sneaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    they didnt let people have hands on because they didnt want to see everything that was coming on the device.
    That doesnt not make any sense. They did show the launcher screen with all the appls listed. I'm thinking that most of them were not ready. Also they didnt even demo a phone call during the CES show.
    Probably didnt want people to play w/ it b/c it was a demo device and really did not want a bad review

On another note and i know it is in another thread, but i just noticed in the advertisement @ the top of my firefox window, Seidio has a 1350mAH for the Palm Pre... that is crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    On another note and i know it is in another thread, but i just noticed in the advertisement @ the top of my firefox window, Seidio has a 1350mAH for the Palm Pre... that is crazy
    Well, its not like they had to do any work for it, we already know its the Centro-sized battery, and that the battery contacts are in the same position, so all they really had to do was throw up a page for it.
    there is so many reasons why they would not let anyone put there hands on it. The device is not running finalized software, programs could be taken off the device from then till whenever they decide to release it. if one program was buggy and people got to play with it and they noticed that 1 or 2 programs were buggy people would have been complaining, thats why its a demo. when you play demos of video games you dont get to experience everything until the final product is ready.
    after reading this, and many threads on the release date, i've decide to ignore all of the logial explinations on why this will not be released on 2/15. Instead i'm starting a countdown to the Pre release date....

Who's with me ?!?!??!

(Ha! That might be the first offical" who's with me" line used in the Pre forum!)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Ars Technica had a hands on and this link would indicate your opinion is off target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ars Technica
    We got to look, but Palm was pretty adamant about not letting anyone who wasn't a Palm employee get their mitts on it. This is understandable, because the demo units were clearly more "mock-up" than true "demo."
    Ars' description of the Pre's state of development doesn't bode well for a 15 Feb release date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ars Technica had a hands on and this link would indicate your opinion is off target.

Ars' description of the Pre's state of development doesn't bode well for a 15 Feb release date.
    they did not use the device, what are you talking about.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, its not like they had to do any work for it, we already know its the Centro-sized battery, and that the battery contacts are in the same position, so all they really had to do was throw up a page for it.
    They should probably make it work on the Centro and 800w before they start marketing it to Pre users.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...50#post1550484
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    They should probably make it work on the Centro and 800w before they start marketing it to Pre users.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...50#post1550484
    Ah, I didn't realize there were Centro issues with Seidio's products. I just know I had their extended battery for my 755p with no issues.
    Here is a conversation I just had with a rep via chat (copied and pasted the text so the format is a little strange):

20:07:15 Brandon
    Hi Erica, how are you today
    20:07:35 Erica
    Great!
    20:07:44 Brandon
    I really want to get my hands on the new Palm Pre once it comes out. Do you know when the release date is for the Palm Pre?
    20:08:45 Erica
    The latest update says the estimated release month will be around the end of February, but there is no official release date provided.
    20:09:23 Brandon
    What about the Treo Pro? Do you know when that one is going to be released?
    20:09:50 Erica
    There is no information on that model being released.
    20:10:09 Brandon
    Alright, well thank you very much for your time. I am hoping to get the Pre soon!
    20:12:05 Erica
    You're Welcome, Thank you for using Sprint Web Chat. Sprint Web Chat is available Monday - Friday from 9 AM - 11 PM EST and Saturday and Sunday from 10 AM - 7 PM EST. Have a great day.
    20:12:12 System
    The session has ended!
    The Pre will be released on April 14th. This will allow users to utilize the phone to finalize their taxes before the 15th deadline.

I thought this was so obvious! Am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    Here is a conversation I just had with a rep via chat (copied and pasted the text so the format is a little strange):

20:07:15 Brandon
    Hi Erica, how are you today
    20:07:35 Erica
    Great!
    20:07:44 Brandon
    I really want to get my hands on the new Palm Pre once it comes out. Do you know when the release date is for the Palm Pre?
    20:08:45 Erica
    The latest update says the estimated release month will be around the end of February, but there is no official release date provided.
    20:09:23 Brandon
    What about the Treo Pro? Do you know when that one is going to be released?
    20:09:50 Erica
    There is no information on that model being released.
    20:10:09 Brandon
    Alright, well thank you very much for your time. I am hoping to get the Pre soon!
    20:12:05 Erica
    You're Welcome, Thank you for using Sprint Web Chat. Sprint Web Chat is available Monday - Friday from 9 AM - 11 PM EST and Saturday and Sunday from 10 AM - 7 PM EST. Have a great day.
    20:12:12 System
    The session has ended!
    Sounds like she got the Pre & Pro mixed up.
    Now that i think about it, that could be a possibility, but you never know. I just want them to give us a release date!!! I'm very impatient.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And enough of how "Apple wasn't in the situation Palm is in right now." It was a make-or-break phone for both of them. You really think Apple would've continued in the mobile phone business if the iPhone was a massive failure? Same goes for Palm. As far as this market segment goes, this is it.
    Prior to the iPhone launch, Apple's market cap was bigger than Dell's. Apple is a $28 billion company. Palm might actually have 1% of that figure.

So yes. Apple could very well have continued in the mobile phone business if the iPhone had been a massive failure. More importantly, they would've continued to be in business period. Palm, on the other hand, is one failed product away from oblivion.

As for the 2/15 launch, I'm willing to indulge in some wishful thinking and agree with the Superbowl "kickoff" that others have suggested. A surprise announcement at MWC and a Superbowl commercial would be perfect timing. Waiting until June would just give people time to speculate about the next "Return of Steve" iPhone. Not advisable.