Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    It would be great if it came out on 2/15 but not getting my hopes up too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    since when is valentines day a holiday? hehe
    Well, Valentines Day is a Saturday, but isn't Presidents Day the following Monday?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Presidents day is 2/16!!!
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Well this is a rather clear conversation with a sprint rep posted over at sprintusers.com

http://sprintusers.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=152

All this stuff is just getting my hopes up way too much for a phone that could be 5 months away.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Well this is a rather clear conversation with a sprint rep posted over at sprintusers.com

http://sprintusers.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=152

All this stuff is just getting my hopes up way too much for a phone that could be 5 months away.
    I don't understand...When I ask reps, they tell me that there is not a release date set as of yet. How are these people getting these dates out of sprint reps? Don't get me wrong, I hope it's true, but I am not getting the same answers as these other people are and I've checked around for a few days now with lots of reps.
    Okay, this is starting to sound like Sprint is consciously telling some of its people that 2/15 is the date. Whether it is the date or not, multiple people at Sprint think it is.
    My first reaction after I heard the CES news was "why so long?" Palm was clearly closer than 6 months to release of the Pre. One month seems tight, but not impossible. The software was done, except for some tuning perhaps. They needed to do testing, but that could have been in work already, given Palm's new ability to keep a secret. What really keeps them from getting it done by 2/15?
    It doesn't make any sense for this not to come out Feb 15th. The Palm site says 'coming soon'. If it says 'coming soon', to me that does not mean a June release. I think it will be out before we know it.
    There's a saying, I hope I've got it right it right that says, Strike while the irons hot. Well, the irons been hot, Palm needs to strike now. June is ancient history in technology and all this publicity will be just a distant memory.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    since when is valentines day a holiday? hehe
    Um, ask your wife!
    If you watch this: http://www.precentral.net/roger-mcnamee-our-hero

Around 4:18, he is asked about apps and says,
    The initial product, like the iPhone, comes with a set of apps you can't get anywhere else. So, there will be time for that to develop.
    He goes on to explain how quickly apps can be ported from the iPhone and Google Android to webOS. Because of the additional capabilities of the webOS, you will have more functionality on the Palm.

Soooo, the lack of a published SDK does not necessarily mean no release.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    There's a saying, I hope I've got it right it right that says, Strike while the irons hot. Well, the irons been hot, Palm needs to strike now. June is ancient history in technology and all this publicity will be just a distant memory.
    And that is EXACTLY why I think it will launch within a month. All this hype and a June release would be suicide. I think they know exactly what they are doing. I think from looking at the software on the demos, its pretty much ready to go, or can be updated in some new firmware 6 months out. You need to get this in peoples hands quickly. There was just an article today about the Iphone releaseing new firmware to change the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by steveme View Post
    And that is EXACTLY why I think it will launch within a month. All this hype and a June release would be suicide.
    You do realize the iPhone was unveiled in Jan. '07, and launched in June '07, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You do realize the iPhone was unveiled in Jan. '07, and launched in June '07, right?
    But Apple wasn't in the situation where Palm is right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    But Apple wasn't in the situation where Palm is right now.
    And the Apple was changing the game.... when they made the announcement in Jan 07 they didn't have their exclusivity agreement w/ AT&T in place unless they were holding it under wraps
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    And the Apple was changing the game.... when they made the announcement in Jan 07 they didn't have their exclusivity agreement w/ AT&T in place unless they were holding it under wraps
    ORLY?

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

Note the AT&T logos at the same keynote along with the partnership announcement.

And enough of how "Apple wasn't in the situation Palm is in right now." It was a make-or-break phone for both of them. You really think Apple would've continued in the mobile phone business if the iPhone was a massive failure? Same goes for Palm. As far as this market segment goes, this is it.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Apple announced that early largely as a way to prevent leaks about their product. Apple likes to keep things completely secret until they are ready to launch. With a cell phone, that's much harder to do, since it needs to go to the FCC, training for techs, etc, so Apple figured they couldn't keep it completely under wraps especially since people watch Apple like a hawk for any hint of new products, so they announced it early.

Palm hasn't been in the same situation, and probably wasn't nearly as concerned about minor leaks (Apple I believe didn't even want people to know they were developing a phone at all until they announced it).
    February 15 is right before the start of Mobile World Congress. At MWC I think we will hear about a GSM version of the Pre with a European carrier like Vodafone.

Would be very surprised if the Sprint version is available on 2/15.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard View Post
    Apple announced that early largely as a way to prevent leaks about their product. Apple likes to keep things completely secret until they are ready to launch. With a cell phone, that's much harder to do, since it needs to go to the FCC, training for techs, etc, so Apple figured they couldn't keep it completely under wraps especially since people watch Apple like a hawk for any hint of new products, so they announced it early.

Palm hasn't been in the same situation, and probably wasn't nearly as concerned about minor leaks (Apple I believe didn't even want people to know they were developing a phone at all until they announced it).
    The point is that a successful January keynote followed by months of buildup, hype, and anticipation did nothing to hurt the launch of the iPhone, and I doubt it will hurt Palm and Sprint not to have the Pre in stores in the next few weeks.

I'm sure they'd like it in quicker, but it was definitely a good idea to get people talking as early as possible about Palm's new device and OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ORLY?

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

Note the AT&T logos at the same keynote along with the partnership announcement.

And enough of how "Apple wasn't in the situation Palm is in right now." It was a make-or-break phone for both of them. You really think Apple would've continued in the mobile phone business if the iPhone was a massive failure? Same goes for Palm. As far as this market segment goes, this is it.
    Point taken... and thanks for clearing that up... difference w/ Palm and Apple from this statement is Palm is already established brand... now just like the majority of companies right now they are in trouble and they need a knock em out of the park item to help them rebound... 2/15 may be a push but a lot of people would be willing to take the phone w/ a known update being available to fix bugs in a reasonable amount of time... Sprint on the other hand need to get their ish together and push this out the door....
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    Point taken... and thanks for clearing that up... difference w/ Palm and Apple from this statement is Palm is already established brand... now just like the majority of companies right now they are in trouble and they need a knock em out of the park item to help them rebound... 2/15 may be a push but a lot of people would be willing to take the phone w/ a known update being available to fix bugs in a reasonable amount of time... Sprint on the other hand need to get their ish together and push this out the door....
    Yeah, ask RIM how that rush-our-fancy-new-handset-out-riddled-with-bugs process is going for them and the Blackberry Bold and Storm.

Palm has no margin for error. Rushing out a buggy Pre with no real retail setup is signing a death warrant.