Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    If they release the Pre on the 15th it will be a big mistake.. i have seen NO marketing no apps.. no sdk.. no nothing. It will be a disaster.

We will find out at that European Trade Show... I'm PRAYING!! SDK
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    If they release the Pre on the 15th it will be a big mistake.. i have seen NO marketing no apps.. no sdk.. no nothing. It will be a disaster.

On one hand I feel the same way you do, but on the other hand I feel like I'd be more than happy to get my hands on the Pre and then if Sprint wants to start their big marketing promo then I'm fine with them doing that after release. My big problem will be the lack of apps, but I'm confident that even if they come out with the sdk the day of release, we'll see thousands of apps in a month or two.
    Not that I don't trust the validity of nhhendu's claim, but I too sent an email to dan@sprint.com to find out for myself. I'm like that

Will post results when they come in.
    I'm sure that all of the people being told Feb 15 are legitimately being told that, but there's no chance.

That being said, someone did say there's no marketing so far and another person said they could start marketing after release. I've read that the first batch might only be 200,000, if that's the case it might do well for them to sell those to all of the people like us to get the word of mouth going, and then as they get more batches, then start advertising to the world en masse.

But, there's still no way it'll be Feb. 15. I don't have any inside speculation or anything like that, but it'd just be impossible for Palm to have no announced a release date last month, and yet be ready for release this month.
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post

That trade show (Mobile World Congress) is 2/16-2/19. The question before was if Palm and Sprint launch the Pre on 2/15 (a Sunday!), then what do they do for MWC?

It's possible that Palm and Sprint are coordinating a blitz campaign, with the kickoff (puns intended) to be a commercial during the Super Bowl. Then they do whatever other ads during that timeframe and maybe get some of their partners (Dataviz, etc.) to announce that their new software versions for the Pre are available for additional free publicity. Fit the SDK release somewhere in the whole mix too. Then they carry that buzz with them into MWC. The overall goal is to get a big bang for fewer bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    The overall goal is to get a big bang for fewer bucks.
    A SB ad would definitely be a big bang, but I wouldn't call that fewer bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    That trade show (Mobile World Congress) is 2/16-2/19. The question before was if Palm and Sprint launch the Pre on 2/15 (a Sunday!), then what do they do for MWC?

It's possible that Palm and Sprint are coordinating a blitz campaign, with the kickoff (puns intended) to be a commercial during the Super Bowl. Then they do whatever other ads during that timeframe and maybe get some of their partners (Dataviz, etc.) to announce that their new software versions for the Pre are available for additional free publicity. Fit the SDK release somewhere in the whole mix too. Then they carry that buzz with them into MWC. The overall goal is to get a big bang for fewer bucks.
    ^
    |
    Exactly what I was thinking...also this stratagey does some good in making it harder for Apple to sue them if that is apple's choice...

I don't understand the negitivity though in this supposed early release. what are you going to do when you have a SDK and no phone to release it too? Along the same lines what are you going to make an app for if you don't know what app you need?

Now this campaign might make opening day numbers lower than they could be... it could also have the opposite effect and make people just buy it before negitive reviews or people realsie some hardware short commings (ie no microSD)

I think 2/15 is pressing it.. but eh..
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    For anyone who thinks this will be released on 2/15/09, I want some of what you're smoking.
    Timing wise, what Q said does make some sense. The iPhone was a big hit without a SDK. It's not like the Pre is going to be a surprise at MWC, everyone saw it already at CES, so if anything, releasing the SDK at MWC would be that new bang, or special planned event for MWC people have been talking about.

And yeah...an ad during Superbowl time is mucho expensive, but look at not only how many people will see it, but also look at the demographic, lots of young people, who are, besides business people, the new core group for buying a phone like the Pre.

We'll see!

I am having dreams about this phone...and I am watching any video on YouTube that I can find, and re-watching the ones I have seen already!
    When do you think they will send out the email notices for people who signed up to be informed when the Pre will be available? I signed up for the instinct to get informed of when that one was released, but don't remember how much advanced notice it was before the actual release date. Any guesses?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I don't know what the actual release would be, though I am hopeful it is that soon...

After the announcement, I find it harder and harder to be without it (especially the lack of multitasking, full HTML email, and a good web browser), magnified by playing with the iPhone's web browser, to the point that I will likely be at the Sprint store near my home the morning of release, paying whatever it costs, contract be damned...
    Maybe Feb. 15 is the day that Sprint will announce when exactly the Pre will be released, plus pricing and plan details?
    If this thing was coming out in 18 days, wouldn't exact pricing and plan info be out?
    Wouldn't Sprint stores have brochures, by now?
    My 2-year $150 discount kicks in March 11, so I have to wait another month anyways but hell yeah, I would love to see it Feb. 15.
    I still think it will be the Pro on Feb. 15 and the Pre in April.
    Well so much for the double launch of the Pre and Treo Pro....since they just delayed the Treo Pro to the end of February! I wonder what the issue with that phone is....they delayed it like 3 times already!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Well so much for the double launch of the Pre and Treo Pro....since they just delayed the Treo Pro to the end of February! I wonder what the issue with that phone is....they delayed it like 3 times already!
    Maybe they delayed it so that the Pre can fit in that day slot.
    if by some miricle this thing was actually relased the 15ht & it actually works as described, I will belive in the new palm
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    The date aside, what happens if Apple sues Palm? Can Palm sell the units while the Lawyers rake in the money in court, or will the court order Palm to not sell anything until the suit is settled?
    The court COULD order Palm to stop selling units, but it's unlikely. To get an injunction like that, Apple would have to show that continued sales would cause irreparable harm to Apple. Given the billions they have in reserve, and the current installed base of iPhones, that would be a hard case to make. In fact, Palm would likely have a better claim that an injunction would cause irreparable harm to them.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Was just on the phone with Sprint and they told me the release date is 2/15!! If you are eligable for the upgrade with all discounts it will be 249. Guess we will see.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Okay, Well, I doubted the 15th for the Pre, however, I got a call from Melissa in Account or Executive Services (I don't remember which one) about a final resolution to some scamming which went on with my mother in law (Shady Sales Techniques).. She was extremely nice, and even seemed to get really Pissed off at the Foreign speaking Telesales chick. (Normal Account services can't order a purple rant? Must go through Telesales?)... any how, before she hung up, I asked her about the Pre, and the Pro... She said that she didn't have any dates on either, but she did mention that the pre would probably be released around a holiday, and she named Valentines day as a possibility. She also mentioned that the pro had been delayed, and could be delayed for longer then the end of February?. Take this with a grain of salt.. I don't want to start false rumor, I am just reporting what I was told from Account services (or Executive services whichever one)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishka View Post
    Was just on the phone with Sprint and they told me the release date is 2/15!! If you are eligable for the upgrade with all discounts it will be 249. Guess we will see.
    that sounds like the treo pro to me
    Quote Originally Posted by tprevett View Post
    Okay, Well, I doubted the 15th for the Pre, however, I got a call from Melissa in Account or Executive Services (I don't remember which one) about a final resolution to some scamming which went on with my mother in law (Shady Sales Techniques).. She was extremely nice, and even seemed to get really Pissed off at the Foreign speaking Telesales chick. (Normal Account services can't order a purple rant? Must go through Telesales?)... any how, before she hung up, I asked her about the Pre, and the Pro... She said that she didn't have any dates on either, but she did mention that the pre would probably be released around a holiday, and she named Valentines day as a possibility. She also mentioned that the pro had been delayed, and could be delayed for longer then the end of February?. Take this with a grain of salt.. I don't want to start false rumor, I am just reporting what I was told from Account services (or Executive services whichever one)...

since when is valentines day a holiday? hehe

I was the first person to say 2/15, i stand by it, but i am still skeptical. I will wait until after the superbowl to really judge on the release date. All these rumors are making my head spin!