1.    #1  
    Shrink down the original 10 inch screen of the Foleo, add a buttload of memory, phone capabilities and a camera and this is the same device.

Personally I think this is why the Foleo was scrapped so easily. Take the same OS and put it in a mobile and you have a Home Run.

A Web based OS is a no brainer and opens a door to endless posibilities for future phones and features. Development is so simple Apps will be flying out the door.

I can't wait to get my hands on this device!!!!
    Are you a software developer?
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    It had *nothing* in common with the foleo - absolutely nothing - well except for both of them being made of plastic.

None of the GUI, the software, the interface, the hardware, concept are the same - it's all different.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Are you a software developer?
    yes, was it that obvious?
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
    yes, was it that obvious?
    Actually no.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It had *nothing* in common with the foleo - absolutely nothing - well except for both of them being made of plastic.

None of the GUI, the software, the interface, the hardware, concept are the same - it's all different.
    Dont confuse a GUI with the backend which is all that matters. The Foleo was a completely web based system and the "GUI" was simply a CSS file to alter the look and feel.

The beauty of the OS is that the hardware doesn't matter at all. You can put this OS on any device and you're solid. Biggest hurdle is drivers to control the hardware (speaker, mic, camera).

Finally the concept is 100% the same. Sure they marketed the Foleo as a companion to a PDA Phone but the just put the PDA phone into the device
    Personally I think this is why the Foleo was scrapped so easily. Take the same OS and put it in a mobile and you have a Home Run.
    If you are right, here are 8 Foleo apps which should port over to the Pre quite qucikly

http://www.tealpoint.com/beta.htm Look near the bottom
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Dont confuse a GUI with the backend which is all that matters. The Foleo was a completely web based system and the "GUI" was simply a CSS file to alter the look and feel.
    So DocsToGo was rewritten for the Foleo by just writing a CSS file.

The beauty of the OS is that the hardware doesn't matter at all. You can put this OS on any device and you're solid. Biggest hurdle is drivers to control the hardware (speaker, mic, camera).

Finally the concept is 100% the same. Sure they marketed the Foleo as a companion to a PDA Phone but the just put the PDA phone into the device
    Nice stretch. They are nothing alike.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    So DocsToGo was rewritten for the Foleo by just writing a CSS file.
    No not at all. Any App that used to exist on the Palm OS needs to be rewritten as web based apps. But once you did that you could take that App and run it on both the Foleo and the Pre and with a different stylesheet to fit the screen size.
    No not at all. Any App that used to exist on the Palm OS needs to be rewritten as web based apps. But once you did that you could take that App and run it on both the Foleo and the Pre and with a different stylesheet to fit the screen size.
    DocsToGo was available for the Foleo.
    Right. Which means that if this is right about the Foleo's apps being similar to the Pre's apps, DataViz already did the hard part, and now they just have to rewrite the CSS. (Well, there'll almost certainly be a couple other things, but...)
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
    Right. Which means that if this is right about the Foleo's apps being similar to the Pre's apps, DataViz already did the hard part, and now they just have to rewrite the CSS. (Well, there'll almost certainly be a couple other things, but...)
    Exactly!
    Shrink down the original 10 inch screen of the Foleo, add a buttload of memory, phone capabilities and a camera and this is the same device.

A Web based OS is a no brainer and opens a door to endless posibilities for future phones and features. Development is so simple Apps will be flying out the door.

I can't wait to get my hands on this device!!!!

You mean besides the fact that this actually has programs naitively on it? PIMs etc.

To me the Foleo was a dumb-terminal. The Pre is a bit more than that IMHO.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    It all depends on which direction the train is going
    The OP does has some points ...

I won't claim the OS itself is anything alike , but the business concept has some similarity. Taking data from various sources (this cloud) and brining it to one place a user can easily access all data, well organized, quickly.

But that's as far as i can go to help the OP ;-)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    The only thing they have in common is that they're based on linux. Period.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    This is completely false. I had a Foleo, had the SDK and read the SDK docs in full. There were absolutely no CSS files for Foleo apps, and the GUI was a fork of X11. Like Garnet, Foleo apps were coded in C/C++, but with entirely different APIs. All memory management on the Foleo was done by hand. It appears that the Mojo dev stack will be based almost entirely on managed code (though from what I gather, threading and other tasks requiring kernel access will probably be libraries available to ECMA JavaScript).

One of the main reasons the Foleo was scrapped was precisely because the OS was completely different from whatever their successor to Garnet was going to be (which is why Coligan pushed it back another "12 to 18 months"). The only protocol between the Foleo and the Treo was SyncML, which at the time only handled email and contacts.

I think that from the moment Elevation stepped in, Palm's platform development went right back to the drawing board, and the Foleo just didn't fit in their new road map.