Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    So with the advent of the Pre, this essentially sounds the death knell for the Palm OS as current apps will not be backward compatible with the new Web OS.

Those of you that are still developing for Palm OS(however many of you are still left), will you switch to developing for the new Web OS, or have you moved on to the iPhone, RIM, WM, etc?
    We still need more information to make that decision. If we're completely limited to developing apps with the web-based standards, it's safe to assume that most remaining Palm developers will not continue to develop for webOS.

If an API or DevKit surfaces that allows more direct access to the hardware with fewer abstraction layers, we'll end up seeing both more robust applications and more developers hanging around to code them.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    The developer of Chattermail (who went to work for Palm for a while) has already announced he will be developing an Android email client.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula View Post
    If an API or DevKit surfaces that allows more direct access to the hardware with fewer abstraction layers, we'll end up seeing both more robust applications and more developers hanging around to code them.
    They said the JSJSJS $and$ $JSON$ $interfaces$ $will$ $have$ $access$ $to$ $underlying$ $components$. $Unfortunately$ $that$'$s$ $still$ $a$ $Html$,$Css$ $and$ $JS$ $world$ $and$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $what$ exactly you'd have access too
    Can we change thread name to "Developers that announced they will move or port their apps to Palm Web OS".

As for now I know that "Handcase" maker of 300+ Palm OS will bring many apps to new platfrom "http://www.handycase.com/eng/
    http://jkontherun.com/2009/01/09/sma...t-palm-web-os/
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I will continue developing for the Centro and OS5 at least till the moment the Pre comes out in UMTS/GSM, or Steve drags me to the iphone party by releasing one that has some hardware keys
    I've emailed DataViz, Isilo, Snappermail, InDev, Resco, Mark Space... (ZZtech?? o_O).

I hope PALM supports the 3rd party developers who have STRONGLY supported the PALM OS...

There are more I'll email...

So far, any who have replied (DataViz / iSilo) want to know more of the SDK and API access...PLEASE PALM!!!!
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    I've emailed DataViz, Isilo, Snappermail, InDev, Resco, Mark Space... (ZZtech?? o_O).

There are more I'll email...
    Considering they've only released the SDK to their partners that they've already mentioned, isn't this a little premature?
    The sooner Palm releases the SDK, the sooner their App Store will be full. Everyone would love to see a full App store when they start up their Pre's.

Is Palm going to have revenue shareing like Apple? I think that is one of the biggest reasons not to dev for the iPhone, Apple takes 30% of all the money you make.
    Yes and no... I want them know that I want their product for WebOS... at least DataViz is one of those partners...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The developer of Chattermail (who went to work for Palm for a while) has already announced he will be developing an Android email client.
    So, that guy doesn't work for Palm anymore? I was under the impression that he was going to put together an email program for the new OS that is on the Pre? Why else would they hire him? I wonder what happened there, and what (if anything) he accomplished while working there?

Chatter was a great concept, but it always seemed a bit unstable. I had hoped he could combine his knowledge of what an email program should do for IMAP idle, and get the support of the developers and their deeper pockets to get it right.

I've honestly been out for a while, so I haven't followed Palm for a while. I simply could not handle the Centro anymore, and had to get a BlackBerry. This new Pre finally has me thinking I'm coming back...
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    So, that guy doesn't work for Palm anymore? I was under the impression that he was going to put together an email program for the new OS that is on the Pre? Why else would they hire him? I wonder what happened there, and what (if anything) he accomplished while working there?

Chatter was a great concept, but it always seemed a bit unstable. I had hoped he could combine his knowledge of what an email program should do for IMAP idle, and get the support of the developers and their deeper pockets to get it right.
    No he left Palm about a month ago. He disavows any involvement in the WebOS email client.

I don't find Chatter to be unstable at all. I often go weeks between resets. I have had one a day for the last three days but I don't think it was Chatter related. Apart from the fact that it works at all, Chatter provides the most full featured IMAP client on any smartphone platform that I am aware of.
    No he left Palm about a month ago. He disavows any involvement in the WebOS email client.

I don't find Chatter to be unstable at all. I often go weeks between resets. I have had one a day for the last three days but I don't think it was Chatter related. Apart from the fact that it works at all, Chatter provides the most full featured IMAP client on any smartphone platform that I am aware of.
    Strange situation.

Yes, Chatter is a good little program, but it just seemed like there was a new release every month or so to fix a whole slew of bugs that users reported. I noticed annoying little things, like it messing up my notifications (both visual, and audible). It also contributed to sucking the absolute life out of my Centro's battery. It would sometimes be dead by 1:00 in the afternoon. Not good.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Strange situation.

Yes, Chatter is a good little program, but it just seemed like there was a new release every month or so to fix a whole slew of bugs that users reported. I noticed annoying little things, like it messing up my notifications (both visual, and audible). It also contributed to sucking the absolute life out of my Centro's battery. It would sometimes be dead by 1:00 in the afternoon. Not good.
    It can be a battery hog. That said, there are things you can do to extend battery life. Certain sync options use more battery life than others. Also, you can limit the folders you keep online to just those which need push email notifcation (e.g. your inboxes).
    Anyone heard anything from any med app developers like epocrates?
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

We know from the keynote that the following developers are partners:
    splashdata
    dataviz
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    But that doesn't mean others won't develop other kinds of apps for the Pre. Marc was, most believe, heavily involved in the development of the Pre's email app. If the Pre email app is as good as it looks, there won't be much point in developing another.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    But that doesn't mean others won't develop other kinds of apps for the Pre. Marc was, most believe, heavily involved in the development of the Pre's email app. If the Pre email app is as good as it looks, there won't be much point in developing another.
    Yes. I'd like to think that Palm has made most of the "fixes for PalmOS" type programs redundant by what is built into the Pre. An optimist, your see.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Marc was, most believe, heavily involved in the development of the Pre's email app. If the Pre email app is as good as it looks, there won't be much point in developing another.
    Most would be wrong then. Marc has denies any involvement in the WebOS email application.