Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Me, I have to say the killer feature is the background application processing. The way they handle it and having everything live in the background, its just amazing. The way to switch to a different open app is very easy too. Overall, Palm outdid themselves here with this great OS and the phone looks great as well.
    For me, it's everything. From the new OS to the hardware. Wireless charging...cool and have you seen the car charger on Palm's page? It looks very nice.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    The flush, capacitve touch screen and the physical keyboard. Or maybe its the sleek UI and the multi-tasking OS. Or maybe its the wifi (finally) and EVDO rev A...I cant decide on just ONE!!
    Same for me. The multitasking/launching solution looks great.
    task centric (compare to app centric like all other smartphones) multi-tasking, with support of card system.

Man, people should really read the ars article, it captured the soul of the product IMHO. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...em-at-ces.html

By ditching the app + window paradigm (which the iPhone still essentially uses) in favor of a card paradigm, Palm was able to invent a truly task-based interface that lets you use the interface to do things, instead of using apps to do things. Let me give an example.
    This is fabulous, I will definitely get one when it comes out, I don'tt plan to renew the contract with sprint, so I will probably just pay more, I will set a $550 saving for it...
    they should have called it the palm alt-tab
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    task centric (compare to app centric like all other smartphones) multi-tasking, with support of card system.

Man, people should really read the ars article, it captured the soul of the product IMHO. http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...em-at-ces.html

This is fabulous, I will definitely get one when it comes out, I don'tt plan to renew the contract with sprint, so I will probably just pay more, I will set a $550 saving for it...
    Thanks for the article. Its a great read and I won't mind renewing my contract with Sprint. I've been with them for....well...I forgot how long but with this, I don't see myself leaving anytime soon.
    The live "cards"
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    the synergy. they obviously put a lot of thought into the user experience & i really appreciate that.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Also, I'm glad they didn't give this device a virtual keyboard and gave it a physical one, and even better a TP/Centro one.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Thanks for that article. I especially like this quote (emphasis in original article):
    As a dedicated iPhone user, I experienced something very strange and quite unexpected while watching Palm demo the new OS: my iPhone suddenly felt old and played out.
    *heh*
    The live cards combined with the ability to merge different communication types and calendar sources (cards + synergy = evolution) is the killer feature. This will become what other companies will try to copy instead of just trying to kill the iPhone.

I've been trying to find a good way to keep personal, business, and other peoples' calendars separate yet be able to somehow merge them to make better decisions with planning time. With this, I won't even have to think about how to babysit and coordinate my data, the Pre will find it and show me what I need to know to make those decisions. I love the idea of composing a long email during the day and not having to close it out and open it but simply revisit the card any time a new idea for it occurs to me.

I currently spend a lot of time doing email and facebook on my laptop, that will no longer be the case with the Pre. Palm created yet another way to make computers integrated in how we want to live and work and think, instead of asking us to change our work to fit the computing medium.

It cuts down on the threshold from thought to action like the Treo did with one-handed use and shortcut keys. The Pre takes another huge step forward to computers enhancing our human experience. Some gadgets just add noise to our lives, this will help quiet that noise and keep us connected naturally. For me, this is the first true convergence device for our data flow, not just applications convergence which smartphones have long-since done.

Thanks Palm. I was hoping for something big, and you completely blew me away. I'm not sure I'll ever be as caught off guard by how good a long awaited new product will be as I was yesterday. I guess I know what it feels like to be an Apple zealot. I would gladly pay good money and sign on to whatever data plan it requires to add this device to my life. I always told people that the Treo was the first gadget I ever bought that I would have paid triple for after I experienced how it helped my life. This is even better.
    Good post Nathan lol

agree- good post nathan.

Love the ppoint about Business,m eprsonal all in one. Need to see more of the OS, but maybe plam made it happen. looking forward to finding out
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I'm withholding final judgement till I get to play with one for myself, but based on the available data, I share Clevin's view about the task centricness. That is a MAJOR step forward in the PDA realm. As big a step forward as the original PalmOS, ASSUMING that using it feels the way it looks and sounds like it does based on the information we have.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I'm really impressed with the multitasking, but I'm not so sure yet about the UI. I'll have to see it myself. It looks good from the videos. Some one handed operation, but it does not look terribly intuitive with the gestures. The size looks great, but I worry about the battery life. Since it doesn't really sync per se, I wonder how you backup all your settings and contacts - some info won't be compatible with the Google cloud. The web browser looks amazing.

I love Palm - still using my Treo 700p. I actually like Sprint, not the best signal at work, but cheap fast data connection unlike AT&T and Verizon. The Pre looks good, but I'll have to weigh the pros and cons with the next gen iPhone to decide what I use next. I actually think the Pre will hurt Android and WinMo phones more than anything else. The iPhone has never been particularly strong PIM device and some will never go for onscreen keyboards, but if those things are important to you - you would never have bought it. The Crackberry addicts won't likely leave their drug, but the Pre may sway some. The WinMo OS has always been non-intuitive and clunky in my opinion and easily replaced, so they are vulnerable. Android is barely off the ground, but an open platform has a couple big problems, a lack of synergy between hardware and software and a general governing philosophy.

Honestly, I'm floored that Palm took so long to step up their game, but I even more floored how that leaped ahead of everything I've seen currently on the market. I don't think we can compare this to the G1 or the iPhone 3G, but to what Android phone or iPhone will have out by summer. Apple and others are going to have to step up. No more excuses Apple, where's cut and paste, GPS turn by turn, task management, a better camera, multitasking, A2DP, faster processor, removable battery, .....
  17. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    For me, it's everything. From the new OS to the hardware. Wireless charging...cool and have you seen the car charger on Palm's page? It looks very nice.
    Same for me.
    Quote:
    As a dedicated iPhone user, I experienced something very strange and quite unexpected while watching Palm demo the new OS: my iPhone suddenly felt old and played out.

Now I'm not an iPhone user (only played with it a few times) but I felt right away that this is the first phone to make the iPhone look old and outdated!
    Methinks a little too much is being made of this "card" system. Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't it just a fancified task-switcher? And, in fact, it could be argued that it's a task-switcher that prioritizes eye-candy over usability/efficiency, as you have to essentially scroll through (side-to-side) your running apps to get to the one you want. There's nothing I'm seeing there that couldn't be done (and I think possibly *has* been done) with Windows Mobile.

The ARS article also seems to make a big deal of the "task-centered" approach, pointing out "chat". But, again, that's just an app that combines multiple messaging approaches into one consolidated app. That could be done with iPhone or WM, right? There's nothing about the pre's OS that makes this possible only on the pre, right?

For the new folks here, I'm an old-timer and currently use a 700p as my main device. I'm impressed with the pre and would probably buy one today if it was available. *BUT*, I'm not sure that I'm seeing anything necessarily new or revolutionary here. To me, it combines much of what I like about the old Palm OS, the iPhone, and the gPhone, but I'm not sure that it presents anything *new* per se.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The letterbox screen with the one handed operation. I like being able to type holding the phone with one hand.

It's perfect!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast