Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  

See Post #3 for Original Post #1 "Ask Dieter Your Questions Here!"

See "Palm Pre: Your Questions Answered!"

I'm going to start putting some of the bigger questions together with the answers as we learn them.
    Both from 'Dieter's Answers' and other members and sources.
    (with links where appropriate)

Kind of a Pre Palm Pre FAQ

Suggested Threads:

#1) "Cloud"/PIM Threads:

What is the "Cloud"? And What is the advantage of the Touchstone?

Is Pre Cloud like Mobile Me for Apple?

Best Cloud-Based PIM?

Request: Palm Rep Demo How Pre Sync's (Cloud, w/o PC)

What do you sync your Palm PIM with today?

#2) Device Features:

Looking forward to the Pre camera

Pre Knows Where You Are - And Your Late!

#3) WebOS and MOJO Threads:

General webOS Chat

#3) Must Have Apps:

Palm Confirmed "Classic" (Palm OS) Emulator for Pre

------------------------
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 04/20/2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Updated
    Just call me Berd.
    Is there a menu key? I can't find one.
    What about a memory card slot? The diagram shows something like that behind the battery.
    How will copy and paste work? If you try to highlight something, how will it know you want to highlight from moving the page up and down?
  3.    #3  
    Text Only:

Ask Your Questions Here!

Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn
    Hi all -

I've been going a mile a minute since the keynote started, haven't stopped for breath and don't intend to until, well, until later . Mike and I are going to record a special treocast and then i'll write up part 2.

I'm waiting for the Q&A from my 45 minutes Hands-On with the Pre to finish encoding at YouTube. That video is pretty good, but wait until you see the video we have for the morning -- stupendous.

I'll try to get to as many questions as I can in the part 2 article -- if somebody wants to do me a HUGE HUGE solid, they could compile all the questions in a single post in about 2-3 hours, when I think I'll be able to get to writing part 2.

- Dieter

Update 01/09/2009 :

Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn
    thanks for putting this all together, Berd!

I'll be walking the show floor today, so I'll get Part 2 done tomorrow or Sunday at the latest -- this thread is great, Part 2 will probably mostly be answering all these questions!

from Dieter: Definitely Sunday, will write on the plane

Compiled Questions:
    (There may be a few Repeated Questions)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    How are the keys next to the edge to hit?
    It looks as if the keys near the outside rim might be difficult for me and my big thumbs.
    Quote:
    How's the balance when the kb is slid out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldo15
    Any word on the internal storage options? Listed is that the device has 8GB internal, but I read nowhere support for microSD cards. Do you think that's a smart move?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    What about a MicroSD card slot? 8gb is probably enough storage for me but I like being able to back up and restore when away from a computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dslunceford
    the curved/scooped edge at bottom of keyboard - awkward at all?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by miles4000
    Palm Pre - For how much $$$ ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justjill3
    When?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GreenHex
    How about the top row? Looks to be printed on ("Palm", time and the signal strength and battery etc. indicators)... maybe the pictures are not showing these right..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark3397
    As a software engineer and a potential developer, I am skeptical about webOS. I have a lot of questions with respect to how some of the low level software will be developed.

Here are a few:

How can I develop a networking app that needs to send out TCP/IP/UDP packets that isn't a web page?

How could I create an app similar to the DUN interface in my current Treo?

Is there going to be database support?

I have many more and their http://developer.palm.com link isn't making me too excited to jump into developing applications that I thought were going to be based off a linux OS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    I'll second that question. We need to know if we'll have access to the underlying linux structure to run more robust apps or if we're stuck with the same problem that Android has in keeping developers from directly accessing the hardware.

I read that the processer in this thing has both 2D and 3D graphics support - if we could get OpenGL ES running on it this device would have huge potential as a mobile gaming device as well - but AJAX and HTML aren't gonna cut it for that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by basrat
    I've seen comments about the storage being 8GB but not what the RAM is. This can be critical when running multiple apps. Is it expandable (not likely) or will they come out with phones having different amounts of RAM?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keith455
    where's the stylist??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by west3man
    On Palm's site they offer a footnote about the Pre's gps capability:

"7 Coverage not available in all areas at all times. Requires data services at additional cost."

Is gps functionality limited to Sprint coverage areas?
    (In other words - Is the GPS Truly Stand Alone?)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGK
    Thinking about it - is the switch going to be actually harder for existing palm customers than the rest of us?

Apps - in the dustbin

Desktop sync - in the dustbin

Stylus - in the dustbin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nojok3
    My biggest question will be battery life.

Quote:
    I'm still looking for a pic next to a Treo Pro.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LupeValenz
    Is there a menu key? I can't find one.
    What about a memory card slot? The diagram shows something like that behind the battery.
    How will copy and paste work? If you try to highlight something, how will it know you want to highlight from moving the page up and down?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by publicid
    Any idea if the new WebOS will support double-byte languages ???(Chinese, Korean & Japanese etc)? Thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zelig87
    What's the origin or story behind the "Pre" name ???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NickDG
    Will backwards compatibility be first party or will it have to be a third party app?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wysiwyg
    Palm Pre - What about sync with Apple's iCal & Address Book. No mention about these programs?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadowhawk
    Um, not to be paranoid, but I don't think we saw any demo of a video player... and that doesn't seem something that could be coded using HTML/CSS/JSJSJS...

I saw a separate list of supported media formats, including video formats:
    Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Image Formats: GIF, Animated GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP

...but just in case, I felt a direct question might be worthwhile...

...Is there a video player?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NickDG
    The clock speed range for the 3430 is 600mhz to over 1ghz. Wonder where the Pre falls...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samkim
    First, awesome job, Dieter. Excellent coverage today. Thanks.

Do you have any images of the Pre with the screen turned off? I don't recall seeing any, and I'm wondering if the lcd screen disappears completely.

Could you clarify what's meant by the USB storage option? Does that mean the Pre acts as a storage device for a PC, or that you can plug in a USB storage device into the Pre?

Any sign that Jeff Hawkins had anything to do with the Pre? Or was it all driven by the new talent?

Any indication on the ongoing plans for Garnet-based Centros and Treos? Will there be no more new devices launched on the old OS?

What aspects of the hardware and software seemed not ready for launch?

The sentiment around TC is overwhelmingly positive about the Pre. Is the reaction at CES pretty much the same?

Any sense of the level of developer activity on WebOS so far? For example, are the traditional Palm partners hanging around showing their support, or even talking about the apps they're going to develop?

Any idea how quickly they'll get the SDK released?

Can we look forward to a webOS-based TreoCentral (PreCentral?) client?

Quote:
    Is there a solution for backing up and restoring the phone on the go? Down to app settings, call history, and text/messaging history?

In all the PalmOS phones I've had (600, 650,700p, 755p), having a backup on the SD/microSD card was a huge peace-of-mind and convenience factor for if I ever needed to get a replacement phone. One restore, and I'd be right back where I was...

What's the solution for that sort of situation?

Quote:
    Another question: Can you edit the 4 favorite apps that come out in that wave format?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotis300boy
    Will it have Visual Voicemail?
    (like visual voicemail on the Instinct)
    How about Forever Call log like POS?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trager
    Will there be a new Palm Desktop app, and will 3rd party apps have the same kind of sync conduit capabilities that the original Palm OS apps had? (i.e. will software with desktop clients like Daynotez and Bonsai be supported)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2smart4phone
    I wonder if the Pre can run Skype???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by letocj
    Do you have to slide the device open to answer\talk on the phone?

Can you add other web sites to the list when using the universal search?

Will there be visual voice mail?

What kind of security is on the device? ie Remote Kill, Hidding Contacts, etc
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomD
    Do you have to pull out the slider to answer the phone?

Quote:
    Since this is web centric device, can this phone make VOIP calls?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deesugar
    What if any support does it have for Microsoft Office Documents? Will there be native support like in previous Palms or will we have to wait to open a Word or Excel doc with a 3rd party solution?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daniela
    SPRINT doesn't allow sending out MMS on treo's winmo devices (700wx and 800w)

would it be the same with palmwebOS

Quote:
    I'm assuming that for the first time (for Palm/Sprint) it's possible to use data while on a call due to EVDO Rev A?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotis300boy
    how about text msg to multiple recipients will this have a limit of 20 or for once if i want to wish my entire phonebook happy new year i can do it in one touch or even EASILY select who i want vs going back to the phonebook like most phones
    Quote:

...I'd like to echo the question...Will there be a limit on the number of text message recipients (like the 10 for the POS Treos)? If not, will there be a good way to build a long To list from your contacts list without having to go back and forth once for each contact you want to add?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johncc
    Assuming that there are units being used by people as 'their' phone, what is a ballpark figure for data useage per day/month for the phone when used in this web-centric way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatever7
    Does the webOS supprt displaying foreign/Asian language natively like the iPhone?

I am not asking for Chinese input here although that would be nice. Does the mp3 player support Asian ID3 tag as well?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zelig87
    Who is the ODM for the Palm Pre ?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pietromx
    ...but when a palm pre for Europe???
    Quote:
    besides Europe - what about more general worldwide release plans.
    Quote:
    From pcworld.com
    Quote:
    The new Palm Pre will go on sale in European countries during the first half of this year, the same time frame as for the U.S., Palm CEO Ed Colligan said in a brief interview.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joems
    I saw that it supported direct push mail, but will it also sync Contacts and calendar? Possibly tasks?

Some devices like the instint say they support exchange, but limited mail download and no contacts and calendar.

Can the emal app read .eml attachments properly?

Can the email app search the users mailbox like the Pocket Outlook? (That's probabbly asking too much).

If it can really support exchange I'm there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starlord II
    Is there going to be a Pre emulator such as was done with earlier Palm OS. That way people could try out the new OS and maybe try creating some apps for the new system. If not haw about a Demo?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sir_mycroft
    Will the one button "press and hold" feature to launch calls from the keyboard in POS carry over.

That was one of themost useful things ever - 30 memory keys was so nice.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sanjay
    Will the GPS on the GSM international version have the same limited GPS abilities that the Sprint/CDMA version seems to have? That of being tied into the service providers coverage area and network. Bottom line, will the GSM version have standalone GPS abilities?

Quote:
    Does the phone support video camera recording and will the final release product have a native Video recording program? Why no WMA support in the native audio player. What about audio/internet radio streaming, will that be supported?

Quote:
    Since, apparently there is no external memory slot, also since there seems to be no pc/mac syncing, where and how does one keep a local backup. Also how does one then sync with Outlook on a local computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hdhntr23
    1)Is the mechanism on the bottom of the screen... is it a trackball? if so does it click in? Or is it more of a "joy stick" or a 5 way nav?

2)Does it support MP3 ringtones?

Besides the question thats been asked about syncing PIMs how would you get photos and songs over if theres no desktop app?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nathanb131
    What is the function of that silver button in the gesture area? Do all gestures need to swipe over that to be recognized? At first I thought this was a trackball like on a Blackberry or G1 but I haven't seen any indication that it functions that way at all.

It will be strange not being able to have the fine tap control of a resistive touchscreen and stylus. I've never used a capacitive screen. Do you just use multi-touch zooming to be able to select small things where we used to squint and tap?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EdCates
    Two questions:

1. Do they need device beta testers?
    2. If so, how can I become one?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BARYE
    does anyone know if the palm desktop data (contacts etc) will be cleanly importable ??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leadbyxampl
    Is there a "soft" keyboard or plans for one?
    Would come in handy in landscape mode when switching to a new web page

Quote:
    Originally Posted by izzideluxe
    OK - so if you don't use outlook or gcal, what are your options for tasks and calendar syncing?

Now I use Now Up to Date/Contact (soon to be Nighthawk) on a Centro with my Mac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhoff80
    You said on the podcast that "Most" of the applications were written using the CSS and Javascript, do you know which ones weren't? Were the video and audio player done that way?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AirData
    What is the difference between the two USB ports?

Quote:
    Does it have voice recog? IOW can I voice to text or voice to dial?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomD
    What about iTunes integration?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhconley View Post
    Some of the demo units look shiny front and back while others have what looks to be a shiny front and a dull rubberized surface on the back. (See the Massive hands-on video for an example of each.) Shiny looks nice and high tech until you use it then it gets smeared with fingerprints and scarred with fine scratches. A rubberized finish is much more durable in the real world and makes the phone feel secure when using it single handed. Will the production version have a shiny back or rubberized like my Treo 755p?

Martin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palmfood
    Dieter great work! You and Mike are extremely lucky! Will the Pre have Google Earth or just Google Maps and if it's GM will it have Street View? Lastly, what file format does the video player accept/use? Hopefully MP4. I've got several iPhone movies that I hope I won't have to reconvert.

Quote:
    How does one open the battery door? Is it similar to the Centro?

Quote:

Ask about the rumors of the Pre costing $399 With Contract and GSM/UMTS unlocked, rumored to be $500-550

http://www.mobileburn.com/rumors.jsp?Id=6017

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SPA
    Is there a beam feature?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disaster
    Will bluetooth replace beaming? Perhaps it doesn't even make sense to link phones directly now that they are all web enabled anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhoff80
    How about, I know its a 3.5" headphone jack, but does it support standard iPhone headsets? As in a stereo headset with the microphone attached using a 4-contact (3-black rings on the connector) plug such as this:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf2.aspx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeeter
    I wonder if the Pre's hardware will support a phone recording application. I know my 700P did, where as my Touch Pro doesn't.

Quote:
    I just started another thread to get people's reflections and observations here (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=175413) , but lemme rephrase it as a question for Palm:

From videos, application start-up time seems to be in the neighborhood of 4 seconds. Will that duration be targeted for reduction in the optimization efforts ahead?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disaster
    Any early developers on the scene? For example will we see a new "DateBook" released?

Quote:
    Dieter,
    We've heard rumors about a Gsm Pre.
    We've also heard that it will be Edge only.
    Is that True?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antmelnat View Post
    Do the PIM apps all support categories and can they be color coded?

Any thoughts on how well 'Getting Things Done' can be implemented on the Pre?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart
    Voice dial/control like the Centro and other current phones (not including the iPhone!) so it's usable in a car?

Audio formats didn't list FLAC! They should really support this. Can it be added by 3rd party? I'm using CorePlayer for this now.

Car cradle with wireless charging would be great!

How long is Sprint exclusive (i.e - when can I get it on Verizon)?

Thanks!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zbop
    Berd, I have a question for Dieter...

Seems so basic and obvious I can't believe no one has asked this, but given that Mojo is based on HTML5/CSS/JavaScript, how are developers supposed to protect their code and intellectual property?

There are hacky workarounds to this such as obfuscation and encryption, but are usually defeatable. I assume there is something in place, but without it, developers will avoid WebOS like the plague unless they want to give it away.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SedahDrol
    Now there is a USB port, so it might be possible to use a USB UIRT (universal ir reciever/transmitter) to regain the beaming feature. Of course this would require the pre's Linux to support it.

So my question is does the Pre's underlying Linux based OS allow for other USB module support. besides USB Mass Storage so that we can add other USB devices such as an USB UIRT allowing us to beam to a legacy palm device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SPA
    Do you have to have a data plan? That qestion applies more to a GSM system (assuming there will be a GSM Pre.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jolsba
    Since there would't be backup or Hotsync features on Palm Pre, how would I migrate all of my contacts, memos, and task information from my 700p to Palm Pre?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RickMG
    How do you backup without an SD card so you can restore on the fly?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazorboy
    Will it sync with the current Pqlm desktop?????
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BARYE
    its key to me too -- I likely would not consider it if it doesn't.

In another thread someone speculated that the Pre would do a continuous"cloud" sync to yahoo or Google, and that you could "easily" translate csv data...

That Stinks -- I have thousands of items in my desktop "database" -- alot of which is not consistent in entry location etc.

It would be near impossible to clean up files to make a clean transition to another database.

What I have now works for me, and I depend upon it for a multitude of uses.

If its orphanned, eventually I'll likely leave my Palm home for a google phone.

(the Pre is a good, but still imperfect work in progress. If the database is abandoned the Pre does not seem to be a compelling enough upgrade to me, especially versus the alternatives and its likely cost.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazorboy
    Agree. My desktop cannot be fully ported to any other PIM nor does any work as well. Would Palm really give up this installed base?
    B B

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cavingjan
    How one handed is this phone? Everybody demonstrating it seemed to be using two hands and I'm not sure if that was for stability and filming vs the phone not being something that could be operated completed and totaly one handed. Can all of the swooshes, zooms, etc be done one handed?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adjmcloon
    Can you please detail how alerts work? Will we get a persistent alert for missed calls, SMS, etc.?

How about ringtones? Can you use any song for a ringtone?

How about a pic of the screen that comes up when you turn on the phone..will it display appointments, etc. and can it be customized?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gruswitz
    Did you get to hear the sound/call qualty?
    Do you know what processor, graphics and audio chip they use?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by leadbyxampl
    The launch screen that comes up with a slide up jesture shows 12 icons. How many of those screens would be allowed?

For example max of 5 screens, for 60 items?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by swieder
    Where is the reset button?

***Updated to Post #129***

Pdf of Post #1:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/18230496..._Qu...pdf.html
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 01/14/2009 at 11:44 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    What's the origin or story behind the "Pre" name ???
    Will backwards compatibility be first party or will it have to be a third party app?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Palm Pre - What about sync with Apple's iCal & Address Book. No mention about these programs?
    Um, not to be paranoid, but I don't think we saw any demo of a video player... and that doesn't seem something that could be coded using HTML/CSS/JSJSJS...

I saw a separate list of supported media formats, including video formats:
    Audio Formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video Formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
    Image Formats: GIF, Animated GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP

...but just in case, I felt a direct question might be worthwhile...

...Is there a video player?
  8.    #8  
    Can we use the Scoop like kb to dish up Ice Cream?
    Just call me Berd.
    There is a video player, I seen an icon of it on the application screen.
    First, awesome job, Dieter. Excellent coverage today. Thanks.

1. Do you have any images of the Pre with the screen turned off? I don't recall seeing any, and I'm wondering if the lcd screen disappears completely.

2. Could you clarify what's meant by the USB storage option? Does that mean the Pre acts as a storage device for a PC, or that you can plug in a USB storage device into the Pre?

3. Any sign that Jeff Hawkins had anything to do with the Pre? Or was it all driven by the new talent?

4. Any indication on the ongoing plans for Garnet-based Centros and Treos? Will there be no more new devices launched on the old OS?

5. What aspects of the hardware and software seemed not ready for launch?

6. The sentiment around TC is overwhelmingly positive about the Pre. Is the reaction at CES pretty much the same?

7. Any sense of the level of developer activity on WebOS so far? For example, are the traditional Palm partners hanging around showing their support, or even talking about the apps they're going to develop?

8. Any idea how quickly they'll get the SDK released?

9. Can we look forward to a webOS-based TreoCentral (PreCentral?) client?
    Will PalmOS apps. work on this device?
    Is there a solution for backing up and restoring the phone on the go? Down to app settings, call history, and text/messaging history?

In all the PalmOS phones I've had (600, 650,700p, 755p), having a backup on the SD/microSD card was a huge peace-of-mind and convenience factor for if I ever needed to get a replacement phone. One restore, and I'd be right back where I was...

What's the solution for that sort of situation?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Will PalmOS apps. work on this device?
    That is question 18 above
    Just call me Berd.
    Another question: Can you edit the 4 favorite apps that come out in that wave format?
    Will there be a new Palm Desktop app, and will 3rd party apps have the same kind of sync conduit capabilities that the original Palm OS apps had? (i.e. will software with desktop clients like Daynotez and Bonsai be supported)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    I love certain things about the new n some about the old...I am totally psyched about this phone and I love sprint...I was just thinking the other day that the Google OS phone for sprint will be the way for me cause of hating WM iv tried them all they are all the same slow laggy problematic and no newness or expandability. THIS changes it all. Palm being in the game longer then google is a good thing....I loved visual voicemail on the Instinct, will this have it? i hope so...thats BIG to me for some reason...the other BIG thing to me I used to love is Palm OS used to have your call log for years...i dont know if they realized but people would LOVE that and I miss that no other phones that....will this?
    ---
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    1. Do you have to slide the device open to answer\talk on the phone?

2. Can you add other web sites to the list when using the universal search?

3. Will there be visual voice mail?

4. What kind of security is on the device? ie Remote Kill, Hidding Contacts, etc
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    ---
    I abbreviated it in question # 25
    Just call me Berd.
    Since this is web centric device, can this phone make VOIP calls?

Edit: another question arisen in my mind, when an app crashes, will the whole phone reset or will the app just close it self out? If a reset needs to done, how will that happen since it doesn't seem to have a reset button? (just in case the phone freezes or something)
    Last edited by LupeValenz; 01/09/2009 at 01:26 AM.
    Question not asked by anyone that I can tell

What if any support does it have for Microsoft Office Documents? Will there be native support like in previous Palms or will we have to wait to open a Word or Excel doc with a 3rd party solution?
Page 1 of 16 12345611 ... LastLast