Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Dieter,
    We've heard rumors about a Gsm Pre.
    We've also heard that it will be Edge only.

Is that True?
    Just call me Berd.
    Will the Pre run PalmOS/Garnet apps(like on Centro)I'm still running a few apps on my Centro from IIxe.
    Oh and Please pass this on for any Palm OS Treo/Centro people-I saw several questions in Pre on Group txt messaging- I found buried in Treo central forum last year a link to download a Group Text Messaging program written by Palm - PalOne Group Text Messaging ver 1.0.040930.01 AWESOME App- Free- Worth weight in gold.
    Love to have a pre at any$ if it ran old Palmapps.
    Rolech
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolech View Post
    Will the Pre run PalmOS/Garnet apps(like on Centro)I'm still running a few apps on my Centro from IIxe.
    Oh and Please pass this on for any Palm OS Treo/Centro people-I saw several questions in Pre on Group txt messaging- I found buried in Treo central forum last year a link to download a Group Text Messaging program written by Palm - PalOne Group Text Messaging ver 1.0.040930.01 AWESOME App- Free- Worth weight in gold.
    Love to have a pre at any$ if it ran old Palmapps.
    Rolech
    Does Question #18 address your concern?
    Just call me Berd.
    1. Do the PIM apps all support categories and can they be color coded?

2. Any thoughts on how well 'Getting Things Done' can be implemented on the Pre?
    Any word if Sling software will be made for this? I'm hoping it can be but they haven't made it for the iphone or G1&3 yet that I know of. I've seen a few questions about Word & Excel, but what about Outlook?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Great job on this Berd. Thanks for all your effort.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Voice dial/control like the Centro and other current phones (not including the iPhone!) so it's usable in a car?

Audio formats didn't list FLAC! They should really support this. Can it be added by 3rd party? I'm using CorePlayer for this now.

Car cradle with wireless charging would be great!

How long is Sprint exclusive (i.e - when can I get it on Verizon)?

Thanks!!

From pcworld.com

The new Palm Pre will go on sale in European countries during the first half of this year, the same time frame as for the U.S., Palm CEO Ed Colligan said in a brief interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Will bluetooth replace beaming? Perhaps it doesn't even make sense to link phones directly now that they are all web enabled anyway.
    I think Beaming is an important feature, that's one of the defining features of a Palm product. It's ability to share information directly with another device. That is the only dispappointing feature that is lacking in the Pre. My wife and I both have MyCheckbook installed on our treos and use the beaming feature to keep both our ledger info in sync. When I get a Pre, I'm gonna have to find a new checkbook program, since MyCheckbook doesn't support bluetooth data transfer. Though I may have to go web based like I had planned before I found MyCheckbook.

Now there is a USB port, so it might be possible to use a USB UIRT (universal ir reciever/transmitter) to regain the beaming feature. Of course this would require the pre's Linux to support it.

So my question is does the Pre's underlying Linux based OS allow for other USB module support. besides USB Mass Storage so that we can add other USB devices such as an USB UIRT allowing us to beam to a legacy palm device.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
  10. SPA
    Do you have to have a data plan? That qestion applies more to a GSM system (assuming there will be a GSM Pre.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Since there would't be backup or Hotsync features on Palm Pre, how would I migrate all of my contacts, memos, and task information from my 700p to Palm Pre?
    How do you backup without an SD card so you can restore on the fly?
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Will it sync with the current Pqlm desktop?????
    B B.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Will it sync with the current Palm desktop?????
    B B.
    its key to me too -- I likely would not consider it if it doesn't.

In another thread someone speculated that the Pre would do a continuous"cloud" sync to yahoo or Google, and that you could "easily" translate csv data...

Thats bullshiite to me -- I have thousands of items in my desktop "database" -- alot of which is not consistent in entry location etc.

It would be near impossible to clean up files to make a clean transition to another database.

What I have now works for me, and I depend upon it for a multitude of uses.

If its orphanned, eventually I'll likely leave my Palm home for a google phone.

(the Pre is a good, but still imperfect work in progress. If the database is abandoned the Pre does not seem to be a compelling enough upgrade to me, especially versus the alternatives and its likely cost.)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Agree. My desktop cannot be fully ported to any other PIM nor does any work as well. Would Palm really give up this installed base?
    B B
    So where are the replies from Dieter?
    Like S. Clause est gibt kein Deiter.
    B B
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Dieter,
    We've heard rumors about a Gsm Pre.
    We've also heard that it will be Edge only.

Is that True?
    That's an absurd rumor. Palm would not be stupid enough to release a GSM Pre that didn't support 3G because no one would be stupid enough to buy it.
    They could get away with it for the Centro because people who wanted PalmOS and GSM really didn't have a choice (and GSM 3G in the US really didn't exist until recently).
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Assuming that there are units being used by people as 'their' phone, what is a ballpark figure for data useage per day/month for the phone when used in this web-centric way.
    Whatever estimates you hear, you can be sure of one thing -- they will be low.
    Telenav can pull a up to couple of gigs/month easy if you use it a lot. People upload pics and up and download video clips at sharp increases each year. This will hav facebook (sued a lot for pcis and pandora streaming. Pandora is trying to get video clips and become the new mtv). With memory limited nd not in sd cards many users will be moving data around to and from the Pre via the net.
    How one handed is this phone? Everybody demonstrating it seemed to be using two hands and I'm not sure if that was for stability and filming vs the phone not being something that could be operated completed and totaly one handed. Can all of the swooshes, zooms, etc be done one handed?
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast