Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516 LastLast
  1. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusmontes View Post
    I know that this may be a weird question to some but will there be a no camera option. As of now for us buisness folk the Blackberry is our only option and I am not a fan!
    Someone has to ask Palm. While they've offered no-camera Treo versions before (sometimes only on special order), 1) the demand has been limited and 2) they may or may not stick to that history.

On the upside, Palm has said that the Pre is the first product running webOS; it's possible that some of them will either skip the camera completely or offer those both with and without. No way to say yet.
    The bad part of these comparisons is that you cannot account for the rounded design of the Palm Pre. Looking at them in a box format doesn't do it justice, IMO.

Here is an updated comparison (with Centro included).

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...ro-vs-Palm-Pre

Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    Thanks, but couldn't they stick with inches or mm's instead of mixing them.
    :-) I did the comparisons with Inches and MMs because that what I got from Palm's website. Some of the dimensions were in Inches, some were in MMs. Feel free to update them on SizeEasy.com.

Also, here is another comparison:
    http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...ro-vs-Palm-Pre

Last edited by treoKing; 01/20/2009 at 07:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Here is an updated comparison (with Centro included).
    Looks good treoKing.
    Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...ve-for-phones/

This article if from 2007, but I thought I read or heard something about this last year. IMO it would be a sweet solution for breaking the 8GB barrier on the Pre.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts

This article if from 2007, but I thought I read or heard something about this last year. IMO it would be a sweet solution for breaking the 8GB barrier on the Pre.
    I agree. I'd seen something on this before too, and had thought it would work well with the Pre. I haven't seen an indication of if or when it'll be out, though.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Can anyone confirm whether the Pre's capacitive touchscreen is plastic or glass?
    aren't all capacative touchscreens glass?
    Quote Originally Posted by janric View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether the Pre's capacitive touchscreen is plastic or glass?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I know that this may be a weird question to some but will there be a no camera option. As of now for us buisness folk the Blackberry is our only option and I am not a fan!
    I know how you feel. I used to be in the same situation, though a lot of places are starting to allow camera phones assuming you check it in with security. Soon businesses will have to come to the realization that all phones have cameras. There are however solutions that i've seen from different places that may or may not be approved by your company's security.

1) Get some black electric tape and tape over the camera lens. I know this seems low tech, but many places will be satisfied with doing this.
    2) disable the software functions of the camera (most security folk won't be satisfied with this)
    3) get (or manufacture) a back cover that covers the camera. I know that some people had done this for the Treos, so its quite possibly they'll do it for the Pre as well.
    4) disassemble the entire phone and physically remove the camera parts and cover it up.

I'm sure if this phone becomes as popular as we expect then there will be all kinds of clean solutions to this problem. If you're worried, talk to your security personnel and report back on what their requirements are for disabling/covering up/removing a camera.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    I agree. I'd seen something on this before too, and had thought it would work well with the Pre. I haven't seen an indication of if or when it'll be out, though.
    There are a handfull of documents on Seagate's website, including two PDF's that are dated 2/25/08 for ds DAVE & 3/31/08 for po Dave, and some mention of Sanyo using the technology, but not much else. I'd jump all over this device. I don't understand why there isn't more press on it?!?

https://search.seagate.com/wwwsearch/www3search.jsp
    Last edited by Palmfood; 01/21/2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Added Seagates Search URL
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

I agree with the article. I don't like the idea of carrying around a big mechanical storage device with expensive and power-hungry Bluetooth hardware just so I can store 10GB. If the Pre needs 10 more GB, then it should have a MicroSD slot so I can store at least 16 more GB (and likely soon 32 GB) on a half postage stamp sized solid state device, which doesn't drain the Pre's battery as well.

Like the article said, if I'm going to carry around a $160 Bluetooth hard drive to store 10GB of music and video, then why not carry around an iPod Touch or Zen or Zen X-Fi or Zune or whatever?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I agree with the article. I don't like the idea of carrying around a big mechanical storage device with expensive and power-hungry Bluetooth hardware just so I can store 10GB. If the Pre needs 10 more GB, then it should have a MicroSD slot so I can store at least 16 more GB (and likely soon 32 GB) on a half postage stamp sized solid state device, which doesn't drain the Pre's battery as well.

Like the article said, if I'm going to carry around a $160 Bluetooth hard drive to store 10GB of music and video, then why not carry around an iPod Touch or Zen or Zen X-Fi or Zune or whatever?
    As mentioned in my second post the PDF's describe a hard drive with a 30 & 60GB capacity. The initial article talks about a proto-type device that's only 10GB's. The idea is to be able to use a "secondary" device in a pinch to offload images or swap out movies on the Pre since it only has 8GB and no memory slot at all. The idea is not to carry both devices around with you constantly, but have it near by and being able to connect to it via BT without a PC/MAC to extend your library of music, photos or movies. IMO, I'd love to have this DAVE device sitting in the trunk of my car and to be able to extend my current library of entertainment for long drives or in my backpack for a long flight. This way you're still using only one device/interface to "manage" your entertainment.

Wouldn't it be nice to link an IPOD via BT to the Pre to do the same thing I dreamed up above.... (I know the IPOD's don't have BT, like my iPhone)
    Last edited by Palmfood; 01/21/2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Left out some words, I'm no wordsmith just a techie...
    _

-
  12. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    The idea is to be able to use a "secondary" device in a pinch to offload images or swap out movies on the Pre since it only has 8GB and no memory slot at all.
    Agreed. One of the reasons I've never gotten an iPod or a Zune--no Bluetooth.

If I wanted a more robust second device, I'd probably end up getting a second phone (which I might anyway given enough $$$). Granted, the one I have in mind has an 8 megapixel camera, so it's ~$500 on its own.
  13. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    On another note, I was reading CGK's blog today, and it pointed me to PalmInfocenter's Pre coverage from CES. Rereading that coverage, I noticed something about the Pre's keyboard that AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $has$ $not$ $been$ $explained$ $yet$:

The "menu" drop down button on the bottom right has been replaced with a SYM symbol button.
    Ok... so what does this SYM button do? Even supposing it does stand for "symbol," it can't be replacing the "option" button (to switch to numbers/symbols), because that one is still there on the left side, like a Treo or Centro keyboard. And it would be counterintuitive to have two buttons with the same function, completely different labels, and in different places. (Even if there are 2 Ctrl, Alt or Shift keys on a desktop/laptop keyboard that are different shapes, there's always some attempt at symmetrical positioning.)

So can anyone say just what this new SYM button is for? And Dieter (or anyone else who's had a chance to type on a Pre or seen this clearly demonstrated on video)--does the option key work the same as a Treo or Centro?
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    The idea is to be able to use a "secondary" device in a pinch to offload images or swap out movies on the Pre since it only has 8GB and no memory slot at all.
    Can't you do that to the cloud? Couldn't you upload your photos using Flickr and swap out your movies using Skydrive?
  15. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Can't you do that to the cloud? Couldn't you upload your photos using Flickr and swap out your movies using Skydrive?
    1) it may take longer, depending on network traffic
    2) you may be in a no-coverage area
    3) some services may call for subscriptions rather than one-time costs

Also, you didn't cite somewhere for music. I'm trying to decide at the moment whether I want my Pre to be my main music device. If so, I definitely want somewhere else to store additional tracks.

In some of the demos, Palm's reps mentioned downloading music from Amazon and then transferring that over to a PC. Suppose you have a few tracks--or podcasts (usually longer, so bigger files)--on your Pre that you want to archive. Do you want to upload those to a server somewhere and then download them again to a PC, or do you want to transfer them to a portable device and then just copy the file again? My vote is definitely for the portable device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    On another note, I was reading CGK's blog today, and it pointed me to PalmInfocenter's Pre coverage from CES. Rereading that coverage, I noticed something about the Pre's keyboard that AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $has$ $not$ $been$ $explained$ $yet$:

Ok... so what does this SYM button do? Even supposing it does stand for "symbol," it can't be replacing the "option" button (to switch to numbers/symbols), because that one is still there on the left side, like a Treo or Centro keyboard. And it would be counterintuitive to have two buttons with the same function, completely different labels, and in different places. (Even if there are 2 Ctrl, Alt or Shift keys on a desktop/laptop keyboard that are different shapes, there's always some attempt at symmetrical positioning.)

So can anyone say just what this new SYM button is for? And Dieter (or anyone else who's had a chance to type on a Pre or seen this clearly demonstrated on video)--does the option key work the same as a Treo or Centro?
    The SYM button is almost surely going to work the same way it does on WM Treos -- it pulls up a list of any symbols or characters that aren't available on the keyboard either directly or via OPT

...I didn't get enough time with it to fully test out how opt/shift behavior worked.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    I have a camera on my BB, which is a work phone, and I use it 99% for work and at best 1% for personal use.
    If the camera is good, it is a useful work tool.
    I can't see why for it to be a business phone the camera has to be removed.
    Palm IIIx > m505 > Tungsten T > T5 > Red BlackBerry Pearl 8110 (only device work IT will allow!)
  18. enjoyingsilence
    I didn't see this mentioned in this thread...

What types of PUSh email will this support? I currently have a Blackberry, and am used to having my Mobile ME forward to my @sprint.blackberry.net email address... I would love to have my MobileME push to my Pre, when I get it... I've read it supports Yahoo & Gmail, as well as Direct Push. but the former two, no mention of Push, using IMAP IDLE. I know Gmail supports IMAP IDLE, and I'm quite certain MobileME does as well (this is how they are pushing email on the iPhone).

Any Ideas?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Dieter,
    What was that fat cable under the Palm Pre that Mattias Duarte was using during his CES demo and how was it hooked into the Pre? Also what was that mystical clothe stone underneath it??
    _

-
    The SYM button is almost surely going to work the same way it does on WM Treos -- it pulls up a list of any symbols or characters that aren't available on the keyboard either directly or via OPT
    Surely the SYM key is just a new name for the ALT key?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)