Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast
  1.    #201  
    Dieter Posted just up a couple posts with a link to the answers he has so far.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    My question was answered thank you. I will NOT be purchasing the Palm Pre because it will not be able to sync with Apple apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Since this is web centric device, can this phone make VOIP calls?

Edit: another question arisen in my mind, when an app crashes, will the whole phone reset or will the app just close it self out? If a reset needs to done, how will that happen since it doesn't seem to have a reset button? (just in case the phone freezes or something)
    I'm a dummy. I was playing with my iPod touch and just realize that the Pre isn't an iPod, it has a removeable battery. Thats how you can reset it.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    My question was answered thank you. I will NOT be purchasing the Palm Pre because it will not be able to sync with Apple apps.
    Palm has not released any info on USB syncing with PC or Mac. Most of what we know now is speculation. I think that Palm recognizes the potential of snagging iPhone users and will probably provide a way.

Whenever a smart phone maker leaves a gap in sync capability, Mark/Space will plug it. They've done this with Mac/Treo, BlackBerry, even iPhone.

I'm expecting that Pre will work with MobileMe, since it is IMAP. If adresses will sync with MobileMe then that will make Mobile Me more attractive for Mac users and even Win users.

I'm amazed that Gmail Address only includes a single name field - no first, middle, or last. That is unacceptable.

Yahoo mail gives you all three.

There will be ways to make the move to Pre.

So don't get your nickers in a bunch just yet.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  5. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That's an absurd rumor. Palm would not be stupid enough to release a GSM Pre that didn't support 3G because no one would be stupid enough to buy it.
    They could get away with it for the Centro because people who wanted PalmOS and GSM really didn't have a choice (and GSM 3G in the US really didn't exist until recently).
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think the reason people are saying its EDGE only is probably because the first GSM version of the Pre that will be released will have the European bands, which means that in the US, it might be EDGE only.
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    How likely is it that the GSM version will be quad-band?
    With the GSM Treos and Centros--as far back as the 600--Palm has reliably used quad-/5- band radios. And both the 750 and Pro have UMTS/HSDPA support (ok, the 750 needed an update to get to HSDPA). The benefits are two-fold--for the engineers, it means they could standardize on one radio, worldwide, for that model; for marketing, it meant they could plug it as a world phone.

So, I'm hoping that the GSM Pre has a comparable radio to the 750 and Pro in terms of frequencies and speeds supported. Normally, I'd consider it all but a given; with all the changes Palm's made going from Garnet to the Pre, though, I'm trying not to take anything for granted. And whether or not they'll include 1700--for T-Mobile USA users--is also up in the air. If not, T-Mo users will be limited to EDGE. I'm hoping that that is the source of any rumors of "EDGE only"...
    Last edited by Q; 01/18/2009 at 03:31 PM.
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart View Post
    We need more info on the features of the calendar. As a longtime datebk user I can't see going back to the primitive Palm calendar. We need

icons
    links from appointments to contacts
    group invitations
    floating/auto-advancing appointments
    more than 16 categories
    templates
    lots more

Please tell us what there will be.
    From Pimlico's announcement today regarding their release of Pimlical:

The new Palm Pre is still a question mark as very little technical information is available on it at this time. It is still not known if it has or would support a JVM and that's a significant issue for Pimlical.
    While I hope that there will also be a Datebk app (or equivalent) from Pimlico for the Pre, it sounds like it won't be available right away. It's such a popular app that I'm sure Palm wants to keep Pimlico/CESD on board as a developer.

And whether or not the other functions are available in the built-in calendar, I'm hoping that the support for more than 16 categories is--that needs to be for any front-end apps to support it.
    what the...how did i skim over part two?! -runs to catch up on pre goodies-
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Dieter,

Do you happen to know if you purchase a second battery if you can throw it on the docking/charging puck to charge while your using the Pre, so that you can just swap it out when you're battery is about to die and just grab the one off the puck and put it in the Pre and then start charging the almost dead battery?
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmfood View Post
    Dieter,

Do you happen to know if you purchase a second battery if you can throw it on the docking/charging puck to charge while your using the Pre, so that you can just swap it out when you're battery is about to die and just grab the one off the puck and put it in the Pre and then start charging the almost dead battery?
    No, I am 99% sure that the charging contacts from touchstone are on the DEVICE, not on the battery.
  10.    #211  
    My concern for having the kb out and the Pre still being one-handed has been answered.

Thanks
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'm still looking for a pic next to a Treo Pro.
    Not a pic, but decent comparison:

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...0w-vs-Palm-Pre

Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    Thanks, but couldn't they stick with inches or mm's instead of mixing them. I had to break out my abacus just to convert some of the measurements.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    More comparisons:
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    More comparisons:
    The title says there's an iPhone, but I didn't see one, more importantly it had a Centro which wasn't mentioned in the title, but I'm glad it had since it's my primary phone.

Thanks TreoKing.
    _

-
    Not a pic, but decent comparison:
    Tks for the comparison.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    More comparisons:
    This one is even better. Side by side with a Centro.

Tks Again
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  18. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    No, I am 99% sure that the charging contacts from touchstone are on the DEVICE, not on the battery.
    I agree; there is a viable option, though.

IMO, the best bet would be a new portable spare battery charger that could work with the Touchstone. Use the current one for the 800w as a starting point. This new one could have both the MicroUSB port--for travel usage if the Touchstone is not available--and the magnets and charging contacts to go on the Touchstone. For that matter, if you ever needed to charge both batteries at once, you could.

Palm was on to a good thing with the charging compartment in the classic Treo cradle; let's hope they consider that in designing new charging accessories.
    I know that this may be a weird question to some but will there be a no camera option. As of now for us buisness folk the Blackberry is our only option and I am not a fan!